Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562842 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3645 on: February 16, 2011, 11:42:48 am »

Geez you can get defensive. Like, holy cow, you don't need to write an essay every time you feel slighted. This is at least the third time I've seen you do this. Calm down.

I'm sorry, but I find it more than a little destructive to claim that the only reason people make suggestion threads is because they want to throw their ego around, or to be a "thread tyrant", and that such people can't possibly want to help make a better game. 

And yes, I tend to be verbose no matter what my emotional state.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: February 16, 2011, 11:53:49 am »

I'm sorry, but I find it more than a little destructive to claim that the only reason people make suggestion threads is because they want to throw their ego around, or to be a "thread tyrant", and that such people can't possibly want to help make a better game. 

And yes, I tend to be verbose no matter what my emotional state.

When people just make suggestions hoping it can help the developer, it's fine by me. When they want said developer reads all their suggestions and implement them, and make a fuss about it when he don't, they are throwing their ego around.

On other news: New release! Thanks Toady!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:59:51 am by thvaz »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: February 16, 2011, 11:55:50 am »

To be honest, I don't think you can give giraffes long necks. Not without problems.

Think about it: DF has no particular way to represent a body part being long and thin. You can make a giraffe's neck larger relative to body size, but that would effectively also make it extremely thick, wouldn't it?

Body parts are basically all big spheres or cubes or something, yeah, but at least it would be more likely to get hit.  And impossible to cut through, I guess.

Yeah. I find it a little ironic that we were pretty much just introduced to the new creature body system and it's already running into brick walls even with totally mundane animals.

I think a custom "long neck" part and maybe horns of a custom tissue, along with a unique color pattern (spots, like stripes) would complete giraffes.

Maybe we should outsource the creation of donation drive creatures to solve this problem?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: February 16, 2011, 12:00:40 pm »

Quote from: Toady
I'm starting the first one to two week bug fix cycle now, so there weren't a lot of bug fixes for this release, but creatures, items and vegetation don't pick up as many contaminants now.

I'm just hoping this doesn't mean that those one to two weeks will be the entirety of the bug-fixing. I was under the impression a more thorough effort was planned for the near future, and I hope that's still the case, since the game could really use some cleaning up in a few areas before moving on to new ones.

Quote from: Toady
I'm starting the first one to two week bug fix cycle now, so there weren't a lot of bug fixes for this release, but creatures, items and vegetation don't pick up as many contaminants now.

Its not the entirely, just the start of it. It actually means, that we're getting more bug fixes then previous thought. Instead of 9-18 weeks, we're getting 10-20 weeks of bug fixes.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: February 16, 2011, 12:01:37 pm »

I think a custom "long neck" part and maybe horns of a custom tissue, along with a unique color pattern (spots, like stripes) would complete giraffes.

Maybe we should outsource the creation of donation drive creatures to solve this problem?

Long necks are a code issue, not a raws issue per se.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: February 16, 2011, 12:02:24 pm »

This is not possible. You can't make a body part that is thin, but long. Creature body parts can effectively be thought of as spheres and little else.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: February 16, 2011, 12:17:56 pm »

This is not possible. You can't make a body part that is thin, but long. Creature body parts can effectively be thought of as spheres and little else.

Since DF tracks everything by mass anyway, this is still the most accurate replication that its engine can achieve. And in combat, I don't think there'll be a significant observable difference.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: February 16, 2011, 12:26:05 pm »

Since DF tracks everything by mass anyway, this is still the most accurate replication that its engine can achieve. And in combat, I don't think there'll be a significant observable difference.

This simply isn't correct at all.

Yes, you'll see a huge difference in combat, unless you're telling me you couldn't tell the difference between cutting through something a foot thick and cutting through something five feet thick. It's not much more difficult (if at all) to cut through something if it's twice as long as normal, but if it's twice as thick as normal, that's quite different.

Also, "tracks everything by mass"? I don't know how that's relevant. The game tracks things like depth, surface area, volume, and various other measures as well. The creature body system just needs a notion of how "oblong" a part is, so that the game can know that despite having, say, a large mass, it doesn't have huge cross-sectional area and isn't very "deep". There's no real reason why this has to be difficult to implement, at least not that I know of.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:33:03 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: February 16, 2011, 12:43:13 pm »

This simply isn't correct at all.

Yes, you'll see a huge difference in combat, unless you're telling me you couldn't tell the difference between cutting through something a foot thick and cutting through something five feet thick. It's not much more difficult (if at all) to cut through something if it's twice as long as normal, but if it's twice as thick as normal, that's quite different.

Also, "tracks everything by mass"? I don't know how that's relevant. The game tracks things like depth, surface area, volume, and various other measures as well. The creature body system just needs a notion of how "oblong" a part is, so that the game can know that despite having, say, a large mass, it doesn't have huge cross-sectional area and isn't very "deep". There's no real reason why this has to be difficult to implement, at least not that I know of.

There is the problem of the height still. Toady said he would one day tackle this issue, maybe when he gets around it he willfix this problem. Right now, even if the giraffe had a long neck you could hit his head just as well as if it hadn't.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: February 16, 2011, 12:55:25 pm »

Arghh we can't tell if a site has sedimentary/metamorphic/igneous rock anymore
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: February 16, 2011, 01:08:51 pm »

I suppose a temporary workaround for giraffes would be a "lower neck, middle neck, upper neck" thing -- still made of spheres, just a linear stack of them.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: February 16, 2011, 01:43:34 pm »

This version sounds pretty sweet. Super excited. . .

Also, I like KillerClowns' giraffe hack. It seems quite workable—if body-sizes are an unspecified shape, then one can just break them into component segments and string them together, in general.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3657 on: February 16, 2011, 02:01:58 pm »

OMG, pots made of stone mean that there's one need for wood left: beds :3

(Tis is good, because  was kinda getting sick of always being out of wood for my barrel, which meant my dwarves couldn't store booze)

Just had a turkey hen lay about 11 eggs in a nesting box(isn't this a wee bit much? Or is this just to compensate for the weird way time flows in fortress mode?) and a hive full of honey-bees.(I think the graphics pack pixelers are going to have a hard time with the bees in general, as it pretty much is all tileset bound...)

I like the hive interface, it's very clear what it's supossed to be, and automatic, which is a plus.
I also like how crafters have gained some importance again, what with most of the new stuff being made by them rather then the mason/carpenter. Makes em useful for other things besides crafts.

I haven't figured out pottery yet, does anyone know how that one works?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: February 16, 2011, 02:14:03 pm »

I like the hive interface, it's very clear what it's supossed to be, and automatic, which is a plus.
How can I produce honeycomb? <sorry for derail, but my experimental fortress is killed by bad combination of stockpile,  pick, elk bird, deep shaft and dodging bug>
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: February 16, 2011, 02:27:38 pm »

aahahaaa!  New version! blublaurgh blargh! :D

edit:
Maybe bodypart shape can be botched by indeed stringing along several 'neck' balls, for a neck it is not needed as it is flexible, but for parts such as arms and legs, joints need to be defined and whether they bend and in what direction.

edit2:
there is a whole forum for gameplay questions. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 342