Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1561271 times)

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #405 on: July 19, 2010, 02:32:44 pm »

Quote from: Baughn
Once there is a notion of relative wealth, will that include dwarf-mode economics, so we don't have to build buckets for our dwarves to sleep in?

A related question, Will dwarves, other than nobles*, get mood-thoughts from encountering dwarves at different relative wealth. Such as a poor dwarf seeing a rich dwarf. Would that depress or inspire? Instill envy? Can dwarves sense the magnitude of wealth difference?

*And their bedroom envy.

Currently, dwarves can be "upset at someone else's arrangements" if I remember. I don't know the exacts conditions, I suppose they must have some standards that are not respected while someone of "lesser rank" (who has lesser standards) has possessions the quality they want. Basically, if they have a shitty room while someone has one they would go with and does not need it.

When will dwarves (and people in general in adv mode) have more needs, economically speaking ?
For more fleshed out interactions, you need people to have motives, which are mostly needs.
I don't know if I got it right, but everytime I got the economy running, markets seemed useless. At times, people would come to take an item or two, but I didn't see anyone buying gifts to their relatives, nor people buying things they like (although legendary dwarves and nobles don't hesitate) and more rarely things they needed. I don't know if they are supposed to buy clothes if theirs are worn off either, but I think personnal property should be more precise before you have theft, crimes, beggars and the likes.

And it's definitely something I've been waiting for for a looong time  :D

Also, speaking about markets, how does the owner of a market decide what item he can take from the fortress property ? It didn't seem like he was buying them, just taking what interested him from the stockpiles.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 19, 2010, 04:00:13 pm »

I wonder if the world's savagery level will have any impact on the dwarves settling near the site. Normally savage areas are avoided by all civs except elves. I assume that will be ignored once you've proven that you can build a succesful site in some evil/savage area. It seems like it should do something though...
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 19, 2010, 04:52:18 pm »

It could also be impacted by the military power, available resources, food-sources etc. If a savage area is the only place where you can find certain gems, stones or metals (or the only area where you can plant sunshine) a neighbouring civ would invest into a armed Settlement or something like that to kill all the Zombys on this precious "Old cursed cementary" of a tigermen-tribe.

Civs could also choose to move through such areas if its the shortest or the only way for expansion.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 19, 2010, 04:54:44 pm »

What is your favorite Succession game/story about DF?

And, as a more serious question, will it ever be possible to add spikes to armor and shields? I'd think that Wrestlers would be a whole bunch more effective if they had spikes on their gauntlets. But IIRC, in the Eragon series, Dwarves have the spikes EMBEDDED INTO THEIR KNUCKLES! You could also put some spikes on the shield to make bashing more effective. Etc, etc, you get the point.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 19, 2010, 05:49:34 pm »

And, as a more serious question, will it ever be possible to add spikes to armor and shields? I'd think that Wrestlers would be a whole bunch more effective if they had spikes on their gauntlets. But IIRC, in the Eragon series, Dwarves have the spikes EMBEDDED INTO THEIR KNUCKLES! You could also put some spikes on the shield to make bashing more effective. Etc, etc, you get the point.

You can add spikes to armor right now, as a decorative improvement...  strange that they don't actually come up in fighting...  maybe I should jot that down somewhere...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21498.msg412297;topicseen#msg412297
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Doomduckie
Since embedded weapons now cause bleeding to remove, does that mean we can have barbed arrows, spears, and javelins that cause more bleeding to pull out in some later version?

Yeah.  That one in particular would be pretty straightforward, assuming barbs don't run afoul of the general item improvement system (with all the spikes and stuff) and get messy.  But the pulling-out effects themselves are nicely set aside and can be easily enhanced.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 19, 2010, 06:29:32 pm »

Quote from: Cespinarve
Given how much confusion and problems people have had, would you be willing to produce the exact, precise steps to get a Baron, and to get the economy to turn on? There's so many different and contradictory statements.

Well, given as there are plenty of mature forts with lots of economic output, I'm going to pop this in the bug tracker if it is not there already.

EDIT Already exists: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=519

I've got the baron no problem, fairly early on. I haven't got the economy, but nor have I played any forts longer than three years or so in this version.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 19, 2010, 06:58:00 pm »

I don't even have a liaison. I'm not sure if it is because a Liaison died in my old (from 31.01, but migrated to each new version) fort on the same world (but this bug was fixed AFAIK, and I'm not sure I'm playing the same civ now as then), or if it is because my current fort is on an island.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 19, 2010, 07:18:09 pm »

Hmm half-question half-suggestion

Toady for luxeries in Adventurer mode, have you thought of using them as sort of a reputation/rumor variable? It is one thing to have a lot of money and it is another to flaunt it.

Ugh who am I kidding that isn't even pretending to be a question... Each question I am comming up with now doesn't seem to need an answer. For example I wanted to ask Toady if in the future he would have Megabeasts do more then one thing during a Rampage (such as create a path of destruction) but it seems so obvious that the answer would be yes...

I need a good question... uhh... hmm here is one

Toady in terms of martial arts where weapons are concerned using your body to attack instead of a weapon in most games gives you an oddly powerful attack. In this game weapons are clearly supperior excluding the infamos "Eye gouge". Are you going to balance the non-weapon techniques of weapon fighting and if so how are you going to do it? I assume it is going to be by "Opportunity" so a character in a weapon lock would find it a great time to get those powerful kicks out.

Are we going to see some Hermit/Monk Sifu? Though admittingly there is a LOT less of this in Europian culture
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:33:21 pm by Neonivek »

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 19, 2010, 07:57:23 pm »

I have this vision of DF implemented Tokyo-3 style fortress where buildings raise to surface or sink deep underground to huge carven where they hang from ceiling. (While Shinji McDwarf battles Bronze Collosus in his HFS made armor).
Thats awesome idea, actually.
Could we get also notion on liquid density and according floating for buildings? I guess it would be required for things like ships anyway.
So Tokyo-3 style buildings could be built on, say, 5-level deep water, with large air tank in their basements, and their lowering/raising would be as easy as draining water tank or refilling it again.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 19, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »

Quote from: Jiri Petru
How about if some features were added at embark? You could generate the word with the feature frequency optimalised for adventure mode, and then throw in some extra features when the player embarks in fortress mode. Or alternatively scan the neighbouring map squares and move the features from there to the embark idea or something. Or something... The question is whether retrospecting "cheating" like this (that could probably help even in other ideas) is something you might consider, or a thing that doesn't fit into your idea of simulating the world.

I think it is more likely that you'd just get to interact with features in a wider area by being able to send out squads/armies through the underground layers to off-screen sites that have been harassing you, and then you'd get to seem them in their full glory (even if it is in frozen time or whatever).
Taken strictly as an isolated single-fort worldless game, it would make sense to add a special feature on every level, and perhaps that kind of thing would work as an init option, but when it comes to villains/etc. I prefer having a historical villain attack from offscreen over a generated villain base being guaranteed, for example.  We'll have to see how it plays out as you have more off-screen interactions.  If it takes care of itself at that point, with the occasional point of interest actual being under the fort, perhaps with site-finding options, then that would be good.  The deepest underground can more afford to be glutted with features in adv mode as well, so that should also help a bit.
For the record, I don't get what's the excitement about having every single underground feature in every single fortress. Which means that once you've seen one fortress' underground, you've seen them all. Rather than regularly having, say, all 20 interesting features, I'd rather have 4-5 picked at random, and hopefully some variation on the contents of each of these. For obsessive compulsive or very casual players that must absolutely have them all, or for the time where you absolutely need a specific feature for a community game, some option that adds these features to the underground after embark would be perfect.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 19, 2010, 09:22:21 pm »

Yeah, I'd rather there be some interesting strategy and local features in choosing a site; if you're going to generate a huge, diverse world, different sites should have significantly different features, whether it's in terms of flora/fauna, geological/geographical features, underground things, local entities, regional magical effects, climate, and... anything else, really.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 19, 2010, 10:34:43 pm »

Ugh I came up with a 4th question but DAAAANG Ill just have to wait to ask that... though my three questions was pretty greedy...

I guess G-flex it makes a lot of sense... A land of death could have a layer of bonemeal instead of soil that could even be eaten if you were desperate enough.

To my knowledge though Bonemeal can only be added to a dish to round it out... it cannot be made into a sufficiant meal itself unless your really desperate.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:36:39 pm by Neonivek »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 19, 2010, 11:13:56 pm »

This may be a little bit too detailed, but what the hell:

In legends: export xml, historical events, each has a type.  I've discovered 33 different event types:
add hf entity link ∙ add hf hf link ∙ add hf site link ∙ attacked site ∙ body abused ∙ change hf job ∙ change hf state ∙ create entity position ∙ created site ∙ created structure ∙ created world construction ∙ creature devoured ∙ destroyed site ∙ entity created ∙ field battle ∙ hf abducted ∙ hf died ∙ hf new pet ∙ hf razed structure ∙ hf reunion ∙ hf simple battle event ∙ hf travel ∙ hf wounded ∙ impersonate hf ∙ item stolen ∙ new site leader ∙ peace accepted ∙ peace rejected ∙ razed structure ∙ reclaim site ∙ remove hf entity link ∙ remove hf site link ∙ replaced structure.  If you could tell me how many there are, and/or what they are, that'd be fantastic.  Thanks!

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 20, 2010, 12:16:39 am »

For the record, I don't get what's the excitement about having every single underground feature in every single fortress. Which means that once you've seen one fortress' underground, you've seen them all. Rather than regularly having, say, all 20 interesting features, I'd rather have 4-5 picked at random, and hopefully some variation on the contents of each of these. For obsessive compulsive or very casual players that must absolutely have them all, or for the time where you absolutely need a specific feature for a community game, some option that adds these features to the underground after embark would be perfect.
Seconded!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 20, 2010, 12:43:59 am »

The problem was that while that was the case for a bit you get a lot of people also who complain that they can't find a site with ALL the features and the number of people who want ALL the features is quite immense.

Mind you I agree that not all sites should have all the features... but well... it isn't that hard to find topics about it.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 342