Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562326 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #420 on: July 20, 2010, 05:43:16 am »

From what I see, Toady's view is to give all the features and let the players sculpt what they do and don't want in their worlds. Ok so that's a little annoying if you want many forts in the same world and for those forts to have variation, but if you don't care then you can easily pick and match what features you want. Of course, if you wanted to be surprised by what the RNG picks out for you, you'll have to roll the dice and randomly pick the features manually.

But you know? The bit you quoted of Toady didn't say "every fort will have every feature". He said "you can venture out to see every feature from every fort" which is very different - you need to go off-screen for them and you won't be able to integrate them into your fortress.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #421 on: July 20, 2010, 09:40:11 am »

isn't the current 'everything in every site' something of a response to the fact we can't have multiple concurrent sites, and will likely go away when we can?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 20, 2010, 10:59:57 am »

Which is to say, first make the market economy work, then consider noble/personality-driven exceptions.

And once you have figured out how to make the market economy work, it would be great if you could share some of your code with the folks in Washington DC, Brussels, &c.

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 20, 2010, 11:30:50 am »

Well, I figure the best starting place for the economy will be once entity populations and entity-run farming is in, since demand for food is fairly constant, and counting farms will make the supply relatively easy to track.
(Which is one of the reasons why I support the farming improvements being one of the earlier additions on the dev list;  Makes more sense to add the farming changes before entity-run farms, else the entity-run farms will have to be fixed once the farming improvements go in.)
It won't be perfect, but it'd be a good source of a few numbers to look at/play with, and tracking the cost of living sounds like an important first step.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 20, 2010, 01:15:39 pm »

Which is to say, first make the market economy work, then consider noble/personality-driven exceptions.

And once you have figured out how to make the market economy work, it would be great if you could share some of your code with the folks in Washington DC, Brussels, &c.

I laughed.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 20, 2010, 03:49:00 pm »

Hi Toady!

Two main questions, with a few sort of sub-questions attached to them.

First one is regarding sites - are there plans to move the way sites are generated into the raws, and if so, are there any plans on when it will happen?

Second one is regarding ethics, in particular the KILL_PLANT ethic which prevents deforestation around an entity's sites. This one is awkward for me because I'm trying to mod an entity that lives in forests and doesn't cause that sort of deforestation, but will still accept and trade wooden goods. In a larger sense, could such "terraforming" be moved away from ethics and into some other raw flag?

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 20, 2010, 04:16:09 pm »

The problem was that while that was the case for a bit you get a lot of people also who complain that they can't find a site with ALL the features and the number of people who want ALL the features is quite immense.

Mind you I agree that not all sites should have all the features... but well... it isn't that hard to find topics about it.
Granted, however some of those complaints would have gone away once the improvements to the site finder are implemented as long as there are some sites with all the features, and relative frequency is controllable from the worldgen parameters.

Beyond just making sites feel unique, hopefully at some point it will make a difference when you can interact with those other sites during fortress-mode play.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 20, 2010, 05:23:35 pm »

Judging from your answer dumps you have thought about fortress that move around the world map.
Have you thought about ones which move vertically? Ala Journey To The Center Of The Earth, or perhaps going down a volcano in a submagma sealed fortress.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 20, 2010, 05:51:00 pm »

Will there ever be a change to the flow system that makes it so my flooding traps work without me closing off the water source first? When fluid's 7/7 it teleports to the end of the flow, but that keeps things in between (such as goblins) from being pushed (into a fifteen-story drain, for instance).

Edit:

Also, a suggestion for digging sieges: sappers, an unarmed or lightly armed class of enemy, could have the ability to dig. They could come mixed with other squads or in squads of their own.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:29:45 pm by atomicthumbs »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 20, 2010, 08:16:05 pm »

Second one is regarding ethics, in particular the KILL_PLANT ethic which prevents deforestation around an entity's sites. This one is awkward for me because I'm trying to mod an entity that lives in forests and doesn't cause that sort of deforestation, but will still accept and trade wooden goods. In a larger sense, could such "terraforming" be moved away from ethics and into some other raw flag?

From what I've seen with my modding of 31.x, entities that can START in forests do not deforest them regardless of their ethics. My Bugbears are good with pretty much everything, but they don't deforest their homes.

Toady, can you describe how the weapon sizes work in relation to the creature sizes? For example, I've seen dwarves happily pick up and use a modded in weapon one handed even though it has [TWO_HANDED:62500]
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 20, 2010, 08:24:50 pm »

Toady, can you describe how the weapon sizes work in relation to the creature sizes? For example, I've seen dwarves happily pick up and use a modded in weapon one handed even though it has [TWO_HANDED:62500]

Dwarves aren't all the same size.  The average is 60000, which means that many of them are bigger.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 20, 2010, 08:27:13 pm »

Figured it might be something like that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #432 on: July 21, 2010, 12:24:31 am »

From what I've seen with my modding of 31.x, entities that can START in forests do not deforest them regardless of their ethics. My Bugbears are good with pretty much everything, but they don't deforest their homes.

In preparation for the entity pop stuff, I added [START_BIOME:ANY_FOREST] to the humans in addition to their other biomes, and they still deforested.  Does that work for you?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 21, 2010, 02:18:00 am »

Personally not deforesting has nothing to do with ethics and more to do with how their society is structured... Ok well it CAN have something to do with ethics. (Elves luckly have magical wood that comes from... uhhh... magic?)

But in general it depends if the society is industrious and expansive. Though without either of those two the societies tend not to get too large.

It would be nice to see non-city dwelling civilisations once the game is finally capable of handling even larger worlds.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 21, 2010, 03:33:17 am »

Will we ever see civilizations warring, Mount&Blade style, where they try to take the enemies' secured forts and towns, while looting villages to damage their infrastructure and replenish their supplies?  If so, how will these sites change when conquered? Will they get banners and minor details, dictated by the victorious civilization? How will ethics play in what happens afterwards?
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 342