Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1563221 times)

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4860 on: May 03, 2011, 06:18:08 pm »

Devlog:The first of the test interactions is underway, recreating the animated dead that are already in the evil regions, with the additional effect of intermittently raising any corpse that is in its area of influence during regular play. I suppose without a specific flag, it'll reraise defeated corpses that are still intact after a while, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

:o
Oh my, Evil regions just became.. insanely harder.. this likely means if a animated dead kills your dwarf it will end up being raised and attacking your dwarves.. growing in numbers, even if you kill them they might be raised again to attack you..

...So exciting!

Wonder if "it's influence" refers to the influence of other undead, or just the entire evil region.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: May 03, 2011, 06:26:40 pm »

Oh man, going to have to play a fortress in an evil sphere as soon as this release drops.
Wonder if "it's influence" refers to the influence of other undead, or just the entire evil region.
"its" is singular, and thus would seem to indicate that he's referring to the region, as there will presumably be many undead in evil regions.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: May 03, 2011, 06:52:52 pm »

I'm very happy with multiple re-raisings as long as there's some mechanism where a corpse you've cut literally everything off can't come back. Otherwise we're back to ridiculously undestroyable creatures again.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If Toady does end up putting a flag in, I hope it's variable with different types of pseudorandom undead, so some creatures come back multiple times and others don't.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: May 03, 2011, 07:18:55 pm »

I agree-- definitely allow re-raising, but require a corpse to have a minimum level of "intact-ness" before being raised.  Having a head that is attached to a body might be an okay minimum standard, for example.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: May 03, 2011, 07:31:52 pm »

You could always dump the corpses of the dead into pits, as well.  As long as they don't fly, 1,000 zombies in a 1-tile pit are not much threat.  Of course, if there are no ghosts, you could magma-dump or atom-smash the corpses.  If there ARE ghosts, however, simply finding a way to simply contain corporeal undead would be the safest path.

I still worry about the FPS entropy implications of undead that pile up in your fort and can never actually be disposed of in any way, though.

Although having a bunch of groundhog skeletons around as training dummies that always come back to life for your warriors to test out some of their skills upon would also be amusing.  I remember back in the earlier, nearly unkillable versions of undead, I would train my military up as legendary wreslters against some very weak versions of undead, like skeletal river eels, before giving them weapons and letting them work on their kill skills.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: May 03, 2011, 07:53:06 pm »

Sounds like terrifying regions will once again become terrifying.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: May 03, 2011, 08:15:17 pm »

I agree-- definitely allow re-raising, but require a corpse to have a minimum level of "intact-ness" before being raised.  Having a head that is attached to a body might be an okay minimum standard, for example.

AFAIK no monster can survive having its head or lower torso cut off.

The trick will be getting your dwarfs to watch zombieland before embarking... or at least learn the double tap :P
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: May 03, 2011, 08:25:19 pm »

Thinking about it, there should be a dial on how likely undead are to be raised, similar to the megabeast counts or the night creature count.  That way we could play with the settings until we find a world we like playing in.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: May 03, 2011, 08:41:22 pm »

Based on the phrasing, it does sound like there is already a minimum level of "intactness" for a creature to be reanimated. So load up on axedwarves, lads and lasses, because evil biomes are gonna be downright... terrifying.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: May 03, 2011, 09:05:31 pm »

The thing that worrys me is how fast toady is implementing this - as if a unspeakable horror posses his mind torturing his conciousness to create soul crushing monsters and abonomations to give us a mere glimpse onto the horrors beyond so we too can be corrupted! Now that the game has us in its infernal grip its going to turn into interactive version of the Necronomicon and many other dark grimoires taking us to the Darkness 2.0

That or toady just has fun  :D . Seriously now the intactness is a nice thing and i wonder if it can be used and tuned for other stuff like having a curse outright kill you, instead of turning you into something, if you are weakened by a poison or something.

Also you have to double kill all mega and forgotten beasts in the evil biomes now. I wonder what we might get for the "good" places.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:08:27 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: May 03, 2011, 09:24:18 pm »

I wonder what we might get for the "good" places.

Ponies, hopefully.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: May 03, 2011, 09:33:50 pm »

maybe sometihng like the grasses come allive, and try and kill you.. so you have to keep em well grazed/burnt.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: May 03, 2011, 09:49:48 pm »

Kitty McCat kills a mouse.
The Mouse is raised!
The undead mouse runs away!

Actually i wouldnt wonder of we get undead vermin as a "side" effect. And undead trees are already in the game, it would nice to see undead grass (well the eyebalss and fingers are more like mutant-grass) and plants too.   

regarding ponies: iirc there is a sphere for friendship and one for magic so they would fit into a spherical land once (if) they make into df.

edit: Ok just checked there is no magic sphere for itself and only a loyality sphere instead of friendschip.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:02:16 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4873 on: May 03, 2011, 10:03:11 pm »

Will cities occasionally perish, leaving infested ruins that we can embark upon?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: May 03, 2011, 11:15:36 pm »

I wonder what we might get for the "good" places.

Ponies, hopefully.
We already get unicorns. They gore dwarves to death.
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 342