Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1559487 times)

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #495 on: July 25, 2010, 02:14:08 am »

Archery targets.

I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.

Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Yay, new sig for me!
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 25, 2010, 09:52:09 am »

I actually have several things I want to know, but will limit myself to a couple topics, because I recognize my questions are fairly long and involved...

The first relates to the Improved Farming thread, which I have been fairly active in, especially after some renewed debate was kicked up by this post:

We haven't made any final decisions.  I think a NPK+pH model does give you something back, because you'd get some really great varied local landscapes and it would take care of crop rotation, composting, naturally poor soil, or whatever else, but it introduces a farming interface problem to dwarf mode in terms of conveying the information in wholesome terms and allowing you to solve problems that come up.

Because of that, I went and made a series of posts on crop rotation and fertilizers but my questions regarding this are the following:

Will all crops use NPK+pH (+water) as a model, or will mushrooms and other underground crops need to have alternative sources of energy?  Even simply making it be NPK+pH+water+carbohydrates (which require the occasional dumping of some form of "dead stuff" as a source of carbohydrates for a non-photosynthesizing lifeform, even a highly efficient one like fungi) would break out of the notion that all crops are photosynthetic. 

Will it be possible to use Chemosynthesis in some form of underwater farming based on igneous stones, such as depleting obsidians to create things like tube worm farms, which can also be killed and tossed into underground farms for carbohydrates and nutrients to farm mushrooms?

Also, even if we are talking about mainly using crop rotation as a means of creating sustainable nutrient levels in the soil, there will still, presumably, be the at least seasonal need to irrigate the farmland.  A bit of debate occured in the Improved Farming thread over how to do this, but I have been a proponent of using a smaller variation of the new piping that we are going to see in the Improved Mechanics, where they are smaller pipes that you just punch holes in, and dwarves can man a cutoff valve to allow water into those pipes on their own, without immediate player orders (and the pipes are closed as soon as they leave for any reason to prevent flooding), so that it forms an irrigation/sprikler system that dwarves can be either given scheduled orders to water, or can automatically start watering crops whenever they notice the soil is too dry, without giving dwarves the ability to actually open floodgates that might spread liquid Fun all over the lower levels of your fortress until you figure out what's going on.  While this may be an overly long buildup, my question is will we be capable of having dwarves that, given the resources to do so, will be able to properly care for the fields themselves, or will we have to micromanage everything, and only those who build water clocks for seasonsal flooding schedules will have actually automated farms?

I'd also like to change gears and talk about something else that popped up in one of my own suggestion threads, Class Warfare, which is about trying to make dwarves demand better quality of life and social services as your fortress becomes more wealthy and advanced, but it spun off into a conversation about how much autonomy dwarves could potentially have, especially if we rework the economic model:
As for the zoning for commerce part, that was simply an example of "loosening the leash", something else we could do, for example, is simply not assign labors to dwarves, and just have job requests which dwarves fill based upon what job they want to perform that day.  If dwarves own their own workshops, that would be significantly changed by what they own. 

It could even be a model where dwarves own the resources they harvest or create, and you have to "buy" it from them with fortress funds, and they can simply start setting up their own industries based on their own preferences, and you just post "contracts" to buy certain amounts of products or materials, and let the dwarves do the rest as they see fit, while paying them in money that presumably must be taxed of them.

That would be SIGNIFICANTLY slipping their leash, to the point where dwarves are total free spirits that you have very little direct control over.  I'm asking for a matter of degree players would want their dwarves to become autonomous.

So, then, my question is:
Would you even consider changing the relationship that the player has with the dwarves right now (as unquestioned overlord and direct allower and denier of all things dwarves can and cannot do), so that dwarves can become more autonomous and individual, and possibly create a better simulation, while on the other hand, potentially dramatically upping the potential for Fun because dwarves are stupid and very likely to hurt themselves unless continually babysat, or perhaps more importantly, if it meant that the player had less direct control over his fortress, and had to rely more on coaxing the ants in his/her antfarm to do his/her bidding?

(There, that post was only slightly huge...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 25, 2010, 04:18:04 pm »

Hey Baughn,

When there's not even enough screen room for the new truetype fonts, we'll have scrollable panels! Right right?

So if you wanted, you could make a big spreadsheet like thingy that can grow as needed. Not that anyone would ever need such a thing for DF...
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 25, 2010, 04:48:04 pm »

Surely you joke.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 26, 2010, 06:18:28 am »

@kohaku:
autonomous dwarf behaviour.
In dev* it states that dwarves are planned to follow veins when mining.
That is a small step forward in autonomy.
(*just below the improved mechanics section).
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 26, 2010, 07:26:33 am »

Does anybody know how difficult this http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61927.0 would be to implent?
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 26, 2010, 08:30:26 am »

@kohaku:

Who said that was autonomous? I always figured that was something you would designate yourself.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 26, 2010, 09:14:30 am »

Well, considering "designate it yourself" is what we do at the moment, I'd think that bit in the devpage refers to dwarves being able to finish mining veins themselves.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:30:45 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 26, 2010, 11:28:24 am »

@kohaku:

While you could consider that a step in the direction of "autonomy", automaticly mining out a vein of metal only when you specifically enable them to mine out that vein of metal is not exactly what I mean.  (Or rather, if it's a step, it's a hardly even a baby step.)

What I am talking about in that thread I referenced is, at its most extreme, starting to remove the whole need to assign labors to dwarves, because they start deciding what jobs they want to take up on their own, based on financial incintives from the player and the personality and likes of the dwarf.

What I'm talking about is taking some of the control out of the hands of the player, as opposed to simply automating a process that a player would normally simply have to micromanage.  Reducing micronmanagement is a relatively simple argument to make, but I think people would have very conflicted views on whether or not to start giving the player less God-like control over the thoughts of his/her dwarves.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 26, 2010, 01:07:04 pm »

Deciding what jobs your citizens are to perform is hardly godlike, especially with a population of less than 200. I don't think that you'll be able to see a proper economy running in a population that small. Sure, one could run on the sidelines, but the government -- that is, the player -- would have to be the driving force of labor.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 26, 2010, 07:47:28 pm »

that is, the player -- would have to be the driving force of labor.

Literally. DF will now be distributed with whips, and manuals explaining how to apply Machiavellian principles to a slave population.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 27, 2010, 08:30:50 am »

I wonder... The old Dev items are gone but is there anywhere they have been preserved? I liked looking at them in the same way I like looking at the Armok 1 devs.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 27, 2010, 08:32:26 am »

I wonder... The old Dev items are gone but is there anywhere they have been preserved? I liked looking at them in the same way I like looking at the Armok 1 devs.

dev_single was put back up.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 27, 2010, 08:53:17 am »

@kohaku: The Majesty (r) paradigm.
I like the principle, but I fear a game has to be designed from such principles from the start, otherwise gameplay will suffer.
I'm in a pessimist mood though.  :P
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 27, 2010, 12:16:34 pm »

@kohaku: The Majesty (r) paradigm.
I like the principle, but I fear a game has to be designed from such principles from the start, otherwise gameplay will suffer.
I'm in a pessimist mood though.  :P

I'm not sure what you mean by "The Majesty Paradigm" (and Google didn't help much) but...

To his credit, Toady has been willing in the past to make total game overhauls when he has seen the need for it, such as the jump to 3d.

With enough care, it is possible to rebuild the interface around such a change... although I'm currently more interested in whether it would be a worthwhile idea, and how far to go than how to do it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 342