Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562703 times)

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #5040 on: May 08, 2011, 11:47:04 pm »

I had a vision of a fortress made up of the seven original dwarves chopped into bits, each bit now an individual unit.

I once read a story where a demigod once cut up and recombined his three followers into ten lesser beings. If you did this with every migrant, you could have a fort of efficient, emotionless, non-tantrumming dwarves, who don't spawn useless children to boot!

Seven. But, they also all died when one was killed. Which, in my forts at least, would be suboptimal.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: May 09, 2011, 01:33:42 am »

Hehe looking back at the suff of the last days i had a thought that is bugging me. So curses can turn you into "things". Asumed these cursescan make you also immortal i culd see where a number of FBs and titans come from. Imaginea small fluffy squirell on the dawn of time noming its nuts next to some kind of cursed place turning suddenly into a ravenous brute seeking out the nut flavoured flesh of your dorfs.

Also if the stuff from threetoes small interlude (which reminds that i have to donate to get my story-fix) holds some water this would be the first variant of actively used"magic" in the game (ignoring fireballs). I do wonder if one could obtain more then one curse at a given time especially if it is possible to use these curse on something without being affected by it.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: May 09, 2011, 01:43:49 am »

That's why I bring it up: It's incongruous with what I remember of Toady's statements.

I remember one Toady quote floating around in a signature saying something to the effect of "I don't want to create crappy fiction, I want to create a crappy fiction generator".

I would rather like the notion that we have a way to roll up different scenarios, especially if worldgen were to somehow become interactive, so that you can have some "buy in" with the way that worldgen turns out, but having the same scenario every time seems like something very odd for what DF is supposed to be.

Indeed. I hope these sources aren't all the same from a world to another, and even in a given world there is more than a source for undeads.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: May 09, 2011, 04:00:07 am »

Dang update... Now Ill be expecting towers of the undead popping up... but I know that won't happen..

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: May 09, 2011, 05:06:22 am »

Well actually if the goblin towers get reinstated and someone with power claims one you could get what you want. And ruling over the undead legion i would call a "power".

This opens the question: Would goblins accept different forms of power apart from raw strength? Say political power or someone who has a powerfull trait/abilty/knowledge/whatever?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: May 09, 2011, 06:25:48 am »

I actually wonder whether the devlog entry along with the May report means that we might get (the chance of) "civilizations" of the walking dead in the normal world, using dark towers as their default sites, whether from the start of world gen, or arising procedurally during generation (or even play in later releases).

Regarding whether this is a departure from the idea that things should be procedural where possible, I'd guess that it goes along the same ideas as the currently ubiquitous bogeymen - right now, they're always in (unless you set night creatures to 0), later they might only haunt certain regions, and maybe much later you have some kind of content scripts, where you can choose a Grim Fairytale script for lots of bogeymen and hags and trolls and evil wolves, and only the occasional dragon or the like, or a High Fantasy script where two or more great forces are generated to clash (good vs evil, earth vs air), where more of these undead kings and megabeasts and so on arise and choose a side in the great conflict.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: May 09, 2011, 08:29:10 am »

This opens the question: Would goblins accept different forms of power apart from raw strength? Say political power or someone who has a powerfull trait/abilty/knowledge/whatever?

I've definitely had demons come to power in goblin civs through force of argument or general popularity; I don't know if that is based on traits of the civ or demon, but the idea is already there.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5047 on: May 09, 2011, 10:59:33 am »

Goblin power structures lead me to think of history-level duels. I think they are currently done only abstractly. I wonder how much overhead it would be to have a mini-arena (perhaps 16x16x3) and have the two units duel there...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: May 09, 2011, 12:34:29 pm »

This is a random fact, but I am a Baha'i and Baha'is believe that creativity is guided by those who have passed on.
And I like the idea of the dwarves being inspired by specific dwarves from their city's history to make artifacts.

I've always wanted to be able to figure out who/what was possessing possessed dwarves. Jewish tradition talks about dybbuks, which are spirits that died without completing some task and now hassle the living about it.

Would goblins accept different forms of power apart from raw strength? Say political power or someone who has a powerfull trait/abilty/knowledge/whatever?

What I'm curious about is what need goblins have that drives them to create a civilization in the first place. Human society is built entirely around food acquisition. Goblins don't eat now, so what is it they need? What would drive them to look for a quality leader?
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: May 09, 2011, 12:38:09 pm »

What would drive them to look for a quality leader?
I think the goblin word for leader is also their word for 'Somebody that will kill you if you don't do what he says'

Notice that most common goblin leaders aren't goblins.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: May 09, 2011, 12:54:11 pm »

I must say that I am concerned that there are still enormous issues with the nobility and the military, even a year after DF2010's release. These issues will be solved at some point, won't they?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: May 09, 2011, 01:29:02 pm »

I must say that I am concerned that there are still enormous issues with the nobility and the military, even a year after DF2010's release. These issues will be solved at some point, won't they?

Dwarf Fortress is a work in progress. Many bugs are in fact placeholder features which will be finished properly in the future, and others are in fact constantly being fixed. Recently we had more than five releases with mostly bugfixes.

Currently the development includes a feature release (new stuff)  followed by a release fixing the bugs brought by the new features, followed by a release (or more) fixing old bugs. The next release will be a feature release, so you should expect new bugs with it (which will be fixed shortly after, as with the last cycle of releases).

By the way, the last cycle of bugfixing saw next to 150 issues fixed in about a month and a half.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: May 09, 2011, 03:31:51 pm »

Either that Knight Onu or it means that Bay12 is bringing back the necromancer or "Dead King"

Zahariel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: May 09, 2011, 04:53:24 pm »

Here's a question: Given the recent research into the mathematics behind zombie uprisings, has any formal modeling been done of the various new curses or other "contagious" effects? Can you present mathematical conditions under which the undead, werewolves, night creatures, and plague will (probably) not destroy the world by accident during worldgen?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: May 09, 2011, 05:08:11 pm »

Frankly I don't think that Curses should be forced to not prevent the apocolips...

Rather the game should prevent it through logic and logistics.

Afterall Jack the Ripper was able to murder tons of people and was never caught, or so I hear. An Army of Jack the Rippers would have been taken down after a week.

There is a point where vampires, undead, or werewolves go from obscure creature to epidemic.

If the creatures just so happen to also defeat the nation even after becoming noticable... Well then personally it should be up for grabs that they become a nation (or create a dead zone) and simply use "Roaming distance" or "motives" to stop world destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 342