Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551448 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #540 on: July 29, 2010, 08:50:13 pm »

Hey Toady, What's your favorite DF drink? Are you a Dwarven Rum man, or a Strawberry Wine guy? Or some MYSTERY THIRD OPTION!?!

Purring Maggot Milk?
NOT A DRINK
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 30, 2010, 07:04:09 am »

I've always wanted to taste "Swamp Whiskey" ;)

But I'm pretty sure it would be a one time thing.... I never really get along with Whiskey... Dwarven Beer would be great though ;)

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 30, 2010, 07:49:26 am »

Hey Toady, What's your favorite DF drink? Are you a Dwarven Rum man, or a Strawberry Wine guy? Or some MYSTERY THIRD OPTION!?!

7/30/2010 Dev Note: Add Zima as brewable drink
Back in 1971, Nolan Bushnell of Atari said, "All the best games are easy to learn, and difficult to master," a design philosophy now treated as instinctual by nearly every designer in the industry.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 30, 2010, 08:00:32 am »

7/30/2010 Dev Note: Add Zima as brewable drink

*in Toady's voice*

When coding, I prefer Longland.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 30, 2010, 08:10:11 am »

He doesn't often drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #545 on: July 30, 2010, 08:53:53 am »

He doesn't often drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis Elfos.

Stay dwarfy, my friend...

[edit: fixed it for you...]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:55:43 am by Ratbert_CP »
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 30, 2010, 06:23:28 pm »

He doesn't often drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis.

Now the big question is: Are they floodgates, bins, or up/down stairs?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 01, 2010, 03:58:08 pm »

Currently, creatures pass on physical characteristics to their children. At least theoretically, this is respected in worldgen and over generations of breeding yields nations of dwarves who appear ethnically similar to one and other, but ethnically distinct from those of other nations. How will the entity sprawl interact with this genetic data-transfer?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 01, 2010, 10:33:22 pm »

How far out will this entity sprawl, er, sprawl? Will cottages and hamlets start to pop up somewhat far from the city centers? Will we get an indication of sprawl on the embark screen -- perhaps an additional local map screen, similar to the relative elevation and steepness screens? Will we even be able to embark on the sprawl, or will the majority population and their homes be too abstract to actually create for now?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 02, 2010, 01:09:52 am »

Will we have goblin bones re-enabled for use in decoration? I recall I used them for that purpose in 40d.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #550 on: August 02, 2010, 01:39:33 am »

Will we have goblin bones re-enabled for use in decoration? I recall I used them for that purpose in 40d.

That is a bug. Skeletons require butchering to produce bone stack as they will not decay on their own (this is result of fix that added unrotable links to keep skeletons intact for pruprse of enabling skeletal undead.) and since dwarves do not butcher intelliget beings...

If you manage to sever limb that decays to single bone, you will get goblin bone that can be used for decoration and crafts.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 02, 2010, 04:14:13 am »

I don't quite see how it's a bug that dwarves don't butcher goblins or use their remains to decorate stuff or create crafts when their ethics say that this isn't a proper thing to do. Sure, I guess you could tell them to ignore their ethics and have them suffer bad thoughts, but that's more of a feature request, isn't it? Well, and the possibility to make use of sentient creature corpses for more practical things like bolts.

Anyway, With the entity populations and according site rewrite, what are the chances that more religions spring up, even if only as small shrines? Currently, it seems that it's almost always the same divinity in a given civilization that gets a religion dedicated to it, so that when you see a Cult of Gold, you know that it is likely dedicated to, say, the dragon Sloron Gemheat the Flames of Taxes.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #552 on: August 02, 2010, 05:55:48 am »

I don't quite see how it's a bug that dwarves don't butcher goblins or use their remains to decorate stuff or create crafts when their ethics say that this isn't a proper thing to do. Sure, I guess you could tell them to ignore their ethics and have them suffer bad thoughts, but that's more of a feature request, isn't it? Well, and the possibility to make use of sentient creature corpses for more practical things like bolts.

No no no, the bug is that skeletons do not decay further into separate bones.

Only way to reduce skeleton to bones is to have dwarf butcher it instead of just waiting. Hence bug.

Dwarves not butchering corpses and skeletons of sentient beings is working as intended, but you should not need to butcher skeleton to get bones at all.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 02, 2010, 06:39:20 am »

Ah, well, that sorta is a bug, though as you say, it's needed for undead skeletons. The original post was about goblin bone decorations, though, so it didn't quite register what you meant.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 02, 2010, 09:32:13 am »

Ah, well, that sorta is a bug, though as you say, it's needed for undead skeletons. The original post was about goblin bone decorations, though, so it didn't quite register what you meant.

Actually, it would be kind of nice if there was code that could keep skeletons together for the purposes of making undead, but could recognize when it's just normal-dead, and things could just plain rot so our stockpiles don't fill up with various unrotting body parts either for all eternity or until we use some kind of exploit like an atom smasher to get rid of them.

It's not like this HAS to be either-or.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 342