Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551587 times)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2010, 12:43:32 pm »

Just a thought on the auto-reloading of weapon traps: what about making it a use of power.  Run a bunch of axles and gear assemblies behind or above all the weapon traps.  When one needs reloading, it causes a temporary use of power.  So 10 excess power in the system could power reloading everything as long as they don't all go at once.

Does the power/machine infrastructure even support something like that?

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2010, 01:33:39 pm »

On the night creatures topic...what are the plans for infectious lycanthropy/vampirism/etc?

I don't think it should be like a zombie-outbreak scenario, but having some way of catching monstrosity could be a lot of fun in both modes. I'm especially thinking of getting a werewolf curse in adventure mode and trying to keep it secret from the townsfolk while hunting for a cure. Or just eating everybody and attracting the attention of monster hunters. :P

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2010, 01:46:29 pm »

Dekafu the problem with lycantrophy and other mutative diseases is that we dont have a decent "Transformation ray"  errr i mean code that allows things to turns into other things.

I thinking on that problem from now and then but i didnt find a good solution yet since you have to transfer wounds etc. I mean its fairly easy to turn one humanoid into a another but a dragon into a Human and back is rather tricky - heck even turning 2 part legs into 3 part legs (Human <-> lycantroph) has some tricky-ness . Like how do you communicate the damage on the wings onto the Human?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:51:56 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2010, 02:01:56 pm »

On the night creatures topic...what are the plans for infectious lycanthropy/vampirism/etc?

I don't think it should be like a zombie-outbreak scenario, but having some way of catching monstrosity could be a lot of fun in both modes. I'm especially thinking of getting a werewolf curse in adventure mode and trying to keep it secret from the townsfolk while hunting for a cure. Or just eating everybody and attracting the attention of monster hunters. :P

There were some powergoals about werewolves.  They aren't real dev items anymore, but they're still illuminating:

# PowerGoal60, HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF, (Future): You put on a talisman, turn into a werewolf, and your buddy screams, "take it off!", but you can't understand him with your beast mind and soon fill with rage and kill him.

# PowerGoal78, WEREWOLF HUNTER, (Future): Dolnar the hunter teaches you how to track the werewolf by its sign and by its call. She recommends a special breed of hunting dog, known for its ability to track down and contest the elusive beasts.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2010, 11:09:17 pm »

I thinking on that problem from now and then but i didnt find a good solution yet since you have to transfer wounds etc. I mean its fairly easy to turn one humanoid into a another but a dragon into a Human and back is rather tricky - heck even turning 2 part legs into 3 part legs (Human <-> lycantroph) has some tricky-ness . Like how do you communicate the damage on the wings onto the Human?
You could do a lot with some simple serial identifiers. A wound on one part would transfer to the part on the new form with the same identifier. If no identifier match is found, either discard the wounds (no equivalent location) or transfer some degree of injury [1] to the next part up the chain till you find a match.

You need identifiers rather than just taking an exact match, so that you can match eg a wing on a bird to an arm on a biped or a foreleg on a quadruped

--

[1] You would not transfer the full injury- for example, if a creature with a missing tail is transformed into a form with no tail then this would not result in the transformee having a missing lower body...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2010, 01:22:25 am »

I will be following.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 04, 2010, 01:27:26 am »

You could do a lot with some simple serial identifiers. A wound on one part would transfer to the part on the new form with the same identifier. If no identifier match is found, either discard the wounds (no equivalent location) or transfer some degree of injury [1] to the next part up the chain till you find a match.

One problem here: What if it's ambiguous? For instance, a creature with two wings transforming into a creature with four arms. I suppose you could spread the wound over each equivalent arm, or... something.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 04, 2010, 02:02:31 am »

# Ability to set fires and select supplies to haul back when sacking a site 

Will this include slaves or prisoners to ransom?

entity_default
   [ETHIC:SLAVERY:PUNISH_CAPITAL]

How will ethics be further fleshed out to cover these situations?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 04, 2010, 06:39:33 am »

I should be able to make a Full Metal Alchemist mod with those changes. Add buildingless reactions that consume one "alchemy circle"(made from another reaction with a piece of chalk, which can be bought en mass) and create stone/weapons/etc. Too bad there's no way to make it produce things made from the material of the floor...
Possibly creating reactions using nearby rocks, if possible right now.

Will the adventurer reactions be able to include reagents not normally seen in fortress mode, such as those random pebbles and loam?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 04, 2010, 10:58:39 am »

I'm not sure what kickstarted Toady back into a regular schedule, but I am extremely excited and hopeful to see new features and bug fixes happening on a very regular basis. Feels like the old Toady again.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 04, 2010, 12:23:01 pm »

I'm not sure what kickstarted Toady back into a regular schedule, but I am extremely excited and hopeful to see new features and bug fixes happening on a very regular basis. Feels like the old Toady again.

What do you mean?  June was full of bug fixes -- about 100 of them, by the bug tracker's count.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 12:24:47 pm by Footkerchief »

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 04, 2010, 12:58:22 pm »

Many of those are duplicates, though, or extremely minor issues. And while I'm glad the game is finally approaching a playable form 3 months after the fact, it's hard to be tactful about the whole thing when Toady really dropped the ball after the release.

This release single handedly killed any community it once had among many gaming forums I frequent. Poor Toady has been attacked pretty much non-stop as people bitch about his programming and jump ship to other games like Minecraft and Goblin Camp. No one is actually playing the game anymore.

I made this post on SA around mid-May, though it's not accurate anymore, it certainly describes why so many people gave up on the project.

Regardless of your opinion on Toady, his business model, his public life, his private life, his cat or even his cat's business model...he's slowing down, and it's been to the detriment of the game and its players.

~2 weeks separated 40a from 40d, with 40b (coming out 3 days later) having more bugs fixed than 31.02 and 31.03 combined.

~3 weeks separated 39a from 39f, with 39a being the infamous "sleep forever" bugged released. In that time he (obviously) released 39b, c, d, e, and f, all of which not only contained bug fixes, but actually added even more content to the game. The site finder, being able to increase grid size, and a huge list of bugs. All fixed in 3 weeks.

It's been ~6 weeks since 31 was released. In that time we've had 2 releases whose crowning accomplishment has been the fixing of half a dozen crashes.

But yeah, I'll concede June has been a very good month, and .09 appears to be the first version that will actually be presentable, which is exciting.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 04, 2010, 01:03:51 pm »

Many of those are duplicates, though, or extremely minor issues.

[...]

Regardless of your opinion on Toady, his business model, his public life, his private life, his cat or even his cat's business model...he's slowing down, and it's been to the detriment of the game and its players.

~2 weeks separated 40a from 40d, with 40b (coming out 3 days later) having more bugs fixed than 31.02 and 31.03 combined.

~3 weeks separated 39a from 39f, with 39a being the infamous "sleep forever" bugged released. In that time he (obviously) released 39b, c, d, e, and f, all of which not only contained bug fixes, but actually added even more content to the game. The site finder, being able to increase grid size, and a huge list of bugs. All fixed in 3 weeks.

It's been ~6 weeks since 31 was released. In that time we've had 2 releases whose crowning accomplishment has been the fixing of half a dozen crashes.

You're playing extremely fast and loose with the numbers here, to the extent that it looks like you're trying to generate numerical rationalizations for your emotions.

This release single handedly killed any community it once had among many gaming forums I frequent. Poor Toady has been attacked pretty much non-stop as people bitch about his programming and jump ship to other games like Minecraft and Goblin Camp. No one is actually playing the game anymore.

This is pure sensationalism -- a sweeping assessment based on a very small number of highly vocal people.

I saw your post about the "pendulum" on SA, and honestly I think that's more projection than observation.  You're jumping at devlog shadows (no offense).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 01:16:37 pm by Footkerchief »

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 04, 2010, 01:16:48 pm »

Ability to set fires and select supplies to haul back when sacking a site
Will this include creatures as well? I really want to rescue my kidnapped children and enslave any goblins not fortunate enough to die in battle.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 04, 2010, 01:34:10 pm »

I should be able to make a Full Metal Alchemist mod with those changes. Add buildingless reactions that consume one "alchemy circle"(made from another reaction with a piece of chalk, which can be bought en mass) and create stone/weapons/etc. Too bad there's no way to make it produce things made from the material of the floor...
Possibly creating reactions using nearby rocks, if possible right now.

Will the adventurer reactions be able to include reagents not normally seen in fortress mode, such as those random pebbles and loam?

Those little pebbles, probably. Their item type (ROCK) has been around for awhile, but nobody's ever been able to use it. Now it might see some use. Hmm...
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 342