Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562442 times)

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #435 on: July 21, 2010, 10:14:13 am »

In similar vein, will we ever be able to send our own dwarven military units to distant offmap sites, for example, to raid a nearby goblin stronghold? Or perhaps even some REALLY distant targets? I was hoping the game could remove the selected military units for a certain period of time (depending how far the target site is) and make the dwarves return with various injuries and possibly equipment losses, but not without loot, battle experience and other spoils of war! Perhaps do some creative coding magic and print an after-action report explaining how Urist McUnlucky was attacked by a diseased bear on the way back home?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 21, 2010, 10:19:21 am »

Quote from: tfaal
will the entity population update break save compat?
Old saves will be playable, but they likely won't have the additional sprawl that the update will provide on new maps.  Since this sprawl won't be used outside of adv mode for a while, it shouldn't be a big deal that it isn't there for dwarf mode games.  I imagine loading in a save from now into DF way down the line might be a little weird, especially when we get to the point that attacking armies aren't generated.  We'll either make provisions at that point or just let it float.  I'm not sure.  If village generation at the region level is simple enough, old saves could just get padded out with entity pop settlements on appropriate non-player site squares.

I would sure love to have my current fort as a community hub. I hope a way can be found for sprawl to accelerate in the case of an already developed fort. My civilization has been struggling through worldgen and I do imagine this fort as kindof a revival. Pleasopleaseoplease...
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 21, 2010, 10:29:16 am »

~snip~

Yes. All this will be in, and even better and more detailed. With off-site outposts and such, can't remember all. Perhaps someone knows a quote where all this is said?
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 21, 2010, 10:34:12 am »

In similar vein, will we ever be able to send our own dwarven military units to distant offmap sites, for example, to raid a nearby goblin stronghold? Or perhaps even some REALLY distant targets? I was hoping the game could remove the selected military units for a certain period of time (depending how far the target site is) and make the dwarves return with various injuries and possibly equipment losses, but not without loot, battle experience and other spoils of war! Perhaps do some creative coding magic and print an after-action report explaining how Urist McUnlucky was attacked by a diseased bear on the way back home?

This is basically the Army Arc that Toady has been talking about for years.  Here are the old dev items:

# ARMY ARC: You should be able to control patrols and then armies in dwarf mode. The adventurer should be able to both go with and command armies. In dwarf mode, you should have the option to control your individual patrol members as you would in adventure mode. Entities should war with each other from bandit and monster raids to full fledged wars. Upset entities could patrol near their sites, leading to new wilderness encounters etc. Related to Core26, Core27, Core35, Core45, Core46, [...]

# Core26, OVERLAND ARMIES ATTACKS, (Future): The invasions by various creatures should no longer generate soldiers, but should use overland armies instead. There should be some AI limits in place to stop early dwarven outposts from being overwhelmed (at least as a default). Requires Core25 and Core45.

# Core27, ARMIES OF DWARVES, (Future): You should be able to send patrols (and, as you get more dwarves, armies) out over the world map. They could attack smaller nearby threats, such as a kobold cave, or let you know about incoming invasions. Requires Core26.

# Core35, DWARF RAIDS, (Future): If you send one of your patrols to attack a site, and it is small enough, you should be able to control the units individually, as in adventure mode. If your group is large, then you could either control one squad as a party, and have the others on AI, or you could let the whole thing run real-time as in dwarf mode. Requires Core27.

# Core45, CIVILIZATIONS AT WAR, (Future): Civilizations (for example, goblins or expansionist humans) should be able to declare war on each other and raise armies. They can send messengers to outlying towns or gather soldiers as they march from town to town toward their destinations. Requires Core44.

# Core46, ARMY BATTLES, (Future): Hostile armies that meet each other should be able to fight and take losses. Armies should be able to attack towns, take captive historical figures, and switch towns to new allegiances over time. Does not include protracted sieges, tactics or strategy -- just the basics. An adventurer at the site of an army battle can observe it. Requires Core45.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 21, 2010, 10:58:05 am »

This is basically the Army Arc that Toady has been talking about for years.  Here are the old dev items:

# ARMY ARC: You should be able to control patrols and then armies in dwarf mode. The adventurer should be able to both go with and command armies. In dwarf mode, you should have the option to control your individual patrol members as you would in adventure mode. Entities should war with each other from bandit and monster raids to full fledged wars. Upset entities could patrol near their sites, leading to new wilderness encounters etc. Related to Core26, Core27, Core35, Core45, Core46, [...]

# Core26, OVERLAND ARMIES ATTACKS, (Future): The invasions by various creatures should no longer generate soldiers, but should use overland armies instead. There should be some AI limits in place to stop early dwarven outposts from being overwhelmed (at least as a default). Requires Core25 and Core45.

# Core27, ARMIES OF DWARVES, (Future): You should be able to send patrols (and, as you get more dwarves, armies) out over the world map. They could attack smaller nearby threats, such as a kobold cave, or let you know about incoming invasions. Requires Core26.

# Core35, DWARF RAIDS, (Future): If you send one of your patrols to attack a site, and it is small enough, you should be able to control the units individually, as in adventure mode. If your group is large, then you could either control one squad as a party, and have the others on AI, or you could let the whole thing run real-time as in dwarf mode. Requires Core27.

# Core45, CIVILIZATIONS AT WAR, (Future): Civilizations (for example, goblins or expansionist humans) should be able to declare war on each other and raise armies. They can send messengers to outlying towns or gather soldiers as they march from town to town toward their destinations. Requires Core44.

# Core46, ARMY BATTLES, (Future): Hostile armies that meet each other should be able to fight and take losses. Armies should be able to attack towns, take captive historical figures, and switch towns to new allegiances over time. Does not include protracted sieges, tactics or strategy -- just the basics. An adventurer at the site of an army battle can observe it. Requires Core45.

I can't wait for these to get implemented. Either way, I am happy that these items can be found on the new dev. page [I don't really care about adventure mode to be honest..]->

Dwarven armies
Ability to send out fortress dwarves to lead larger groups of surrounding dwarves out around mid-level maps (or just go alone)
Ability to send equipment and fortress dwarves out to train surrounding dwarves
Ability to attack sites and entity populations with your dwarven armies
Ability to set fires and select supplies to haul back when sacking a site

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 21, 2010, 11:18:14 am »

Hey Tormy!  Yeah, I haven't fully familiarized myself with the new dev page yet... I should probably get used to Ctrl+F'ing there instead.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:49:08 am by Footkerchief »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 21, 2010, 02:52:41 pm »

I'm really stoked for this update. More than anything, the training, equipment issues, and bugs related to the military have been the biggest stumbling block for me getting back into DF since the big update. Spending two months micro managing soldiers trying to get them to train, only to get wiped out in the first ambush because nothing has actually been working, has killed my desire to play DF. So I'm hoping this next update cures all that, and I can get back to enjoy the full game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 21, 2010, 03:10:50 pm »

I'm really stoked for this update. More than anything, the training, equipment issues, and bugs related to the military have been the biggest stumbling block for me getting back into DF since the big update. Spending two months micro managing soldiers trying to get them to train, only to get wiped out in the first ambush because nothing has actually been working, has killed my desire to play DF. So I'm hoping this next update cures all that, and I can get back to enjoy the full game.

Not to be a downer, but this update won't fix all the training/equipment issues.  As usual, it's a continuing mission.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 21, 2010, 03:30:38 pm »

I haven't actually played DF since the 40d version.. don't intend to, anytime soon. Frankly, at the moment it's more amusing to improve it than play it. I'll play later, once all the bugs are out. :P

Ah, but the next version (..or the one after it, likely) will support proportional fonts. Meaning, text will not be limited to one letter per cell (unless you turn this off); it'll use a truetype font instead. How's that? :D
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 21, 2010, 03:44:55 pm »

Ah, but the next version (..or the one after it, likely) will support proportional fonts. Meaning, text will not be limited to one letter per cell (unless you turn this off); it'll use a truetype font instead. How's that? :D

Whoa.  Will the borders/positioning of text areas have to be based on the tile grid, or will they basically be free-floating?  Are they just rendered on top of the tile grid?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 21, 2010, 03:48:30 pm »

From what I've seen with my modding of 31.x, entities that can START in forests do not deforest them regardless of their ethics. My Bugbears are good with pretty much everything, but they don't deforest their homes.

In preparation for the entity pop stuff, I added [START_BIOME:ANY_FOREST] to the humans in addition to their other biomes, and they still deforested.  Does that work for you?

Hmm, that's interesting. I get the same result when I add that tag to Humans. But my other new forest races, like Wolfmen and Jackalmen, don't deforest either.

All of them have axes, woodcutters, carpenters, and ethics that allow plant killing. But none of them have PLANTER allowed as a job. Looks like the deforestation is caused by clearing forests for farms, as opposed to anything else.

I'll try adding the farming jobs to the bugbears, see if that does anything.

EDIT: Ok, giving them the entire set of jobs allowed by the Humans didn't do anything. They still don't deforest anything, and the humans do.

Hmm...most of my non-deforesting races do seem to have the Forest START_BIOME token first. I'll try that on the humans next. Hobgoblins don't have it first, though, and they don't deforest either (nor do they have any farming tags).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:04:23 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 21, 2010, 03:56:45 pm »

Whoa.  Will the borders/positioning of text areas have to be based on the tile grid, or will they basically be free-floating?  Are they just rendered on top of the tile grid?
Based on the tile grid. I'm altering the interface the absolute minimum amount (adding an option to justify left, right, center or not use truetype at all - defaulting to left), which means it'll be justified inside a box based on the amount of space it'd take if not being rendered using truetype. It's not ideal, but it should be fine.

Improving this is the fact that there are (accessible) functions used to decide what text is used in the first place based on how much space is available, which I can modify to take the proportional font into account.

I've yet to complete the project, but it's looking good. I'll see if I can get some screenshots up next I have internet.. er, which will be a week from now. (I have web access via my cellphone, so I might post here, but uploading images is a bit harder.)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 21, 2010, 04:09:12 pm »

From what I've seen with my modding of 31.x, entities that can START in forests do not deforest them regardless of their ethics. My Bugbears are good with pretty much everything, but they don't deforest their homes.

In preparation for the entity pop stuff, I added [START_BIOME:ANY_FOREST] to the humans in addition to their other biomes, and they still deforested.  Does that work for you?

Hmm, that's interesting. I get the same result when I add that tag to Humans. But my other new forest races, like Wolfmen and Jackalmen, don't deforest either.
[...]

Try to change the site type to town. Its only a guess but the Wooden Buildings of Human towns could draw theyr material from the forrests.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 21, 2010, 04:11:58 pm »

Based on the tile grid. I'm altering the interface the absolute minimum amount (adding an option to justify left, right, center or not use truetype at all - defaulting to left), which means it'll be justified inside a box based on the amount of space it'd take if not being rendered using truetype. It's not ideal, but it should be fine.

Improving this is the fact that there are (accessible) functions used to decide what text is used in the first place based on how much space is available, which I can modify to take the proportional font into account.

That sounds radtacular.  You should make it only accessible via a widget-oriented API, so that Toady can only have nice fonts if he stops coding menus entirely from scratch (I have no proof that he does this, but it's the only explanation I can imagine for the types of crashes that used to happen on the military menu).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 21, 2010, 04:14:19 pm »

[...]

Try to change the site type to town. Its only a guess but the Wooden Buildings of Human towns could draw theyr material from the forrests.

Hmm, ok, I'll try that too. Although the Wolfman civ uses cities as well, so it might not be that. I wonder if world constructions have something to do with it?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 342