Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551418 times)

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #480 on: July 23, 2010, 06:47:10 pm »

...but it potentially sets things up for crazy Dwarven Marble Madness.  :D

Sigg'd.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 23, 2010, 07:51:30 pm »

If you wanted to get even more fancy…

And with DF, of course, the fanciest way is the best way.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 23, 2010, 10:22:51 pm »

The interesting (and harder to program) question is what happens when a fast rolling boulder hits a ramp up, or a sideways ramp. The easy solution would just ignore them and roll onwards, shedding energy when forced to go up, but it potentially sets things up for crazy Dwarven Marble Madness.  :D
Of course, when we get really insane we will also want to use ramps to change the boulders directions... Or launch them into empty space (although I think Toady is already ahead of us there- "things arcing through the sky")

Determining the direction of ramps will be 'fun'... What happens when a boulder drops on top of a 'free-standing' ramp? (Here's hoping for a result involving 'dwarven roulette' for any bystanders...)

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 24, 2010, 12:10:52 am »

Two different things:

- The proportional fonts. I've already talked that over with Toady, and he's fine with the proposed interface - as you guessed, there was already an "add this string to the output" function, which I'm just modifying. I'm fine with speaking authoritatively on that, as it's near-guaranteed to go in.

- Scheme UI builder. Not even discussed it with toady. Did I strike the wrong tone there, then? It's just an attempt to show him another way to do things, not something I expect would affect DF as such..

There's just one thing I want to know about this:
Does this mean that we can replace the parts in the tileset reserved for letters with symbols and still have letters show up when required?  No more "x" up/down staircases, for example.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 24, 2010, 02:35:00 am »

Two different things:

- The proportional fonts. I've already talked that over with Toady, and he's fine with the proposed interface - as you guessed, there was already an "add this string to the output" function, which I'm just modifying. I'm fine with speaking authoritatively on that, as it's near-guaranteed to go in.

- Scheme UI builder. Not even discussed it with toady. Did I strike the wrong tone there, then? It's just an attempt to show him another way to do things, not something I expect would affect DF as such..

There's just one thing I want to know about this:
Does this mean that we can replace the parts in the tileset reserved for letters with symbols and still have letters show up when required?  No more "x" up/down staircases, for example.
X is still problematic, because besides stairs, it's used for bins and floodgates and the cursor and probably some other things I'm not remembering at the moment.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:57:48 am by Cruxador »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 24, 2010, 04:39:15 am »

Archery targets.

I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 24, 2010, 08:41:14 am »

Archery targets.

I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.

Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 24, 2010, 11:18:08 am »

So what's so special about these "proportional fonts" Baughn's putting in?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 24, 2010, 12:23:39 pm »

well it sounds to me a bit like the tileset and the fonts get seperated so you can have readable text and you can fitmore text into one screen.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 24, 2010, 01:22:00 pm »

Proportional fonts are also another step in the direction of "Full Graphics Support" - when you have all your letters being made in different proportions to the rest of your tileset, that means fonts need a different tileset (or are an actual outright font), so you have all those letters that you can turn into whatever graphics you want without worrying that it will make your text unreadable. 

(For example, + is both a smooth/engraved floor and part of the font used for talking about +quality+ or what button to press to scroll through menus... but if the latter parts of that are made part of a font, then + in the tileset only has to represent smoothed floors, so you can make those smoothed floors look like whatever you want without having to worry about +quality+ looking strange. 

Likewise, O is both a pillar and the letter, but now you can make O into something that looks like a pillar without it messing with your O in the fonts... although this was already modifiable, anyway.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 24, 2010, 01:30:52 pm »

Of course, proportional fonts in general tend to be more readable and space-efficient, which is nice in itself. There's also the fact that they could be arbitrarily-sized instead of set to whatever the graphical tile size is.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 24, 2010, 01:48:21 pm »

Alright, so people who don't use tilesets and like the current font don't need to worry about it. Gotcha.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:27:21 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 24, 2010, 02:23:00 pm »

I'm using an actual outright truetype font file, data/art/font.ttf, so font rendering should be basically the same as in every other application.

You will still be able to turn that off, to get the old look, but yes - if you don't, tilesets that alter the alphabetic letters should no longer affect text.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 24, 2010, 02:28:53 pm »

I'm using an actual outright truetype font file, data/art/font.ttf, so font rendering should be basically the same as in every other application.

You will still be able to turn that off, to get the old look, but yes - if you don't, tilesets that alter the alphabetic letters should no longer affect text.

Sweet, this means that we get tons of extra space for whatever custom icons people want to make.  You rock, Baugn.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 24, 2010, 02:32:06 pm »

Nice! :)
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 342