Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551466 times)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #570 on: August 02, 2010, 06:33:57 pm »

During worldgen the dwarven civilisations are occasionally wiped out by war, with many dwarves fleeing to the hills.  At what point do you see it being possible for the player to launch a reclaim mission on the original Mountain Halls?  Do you see this as more of an adventurer mission that would be ordered by the king?
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 02, 2010, 06:38:49 pm »

During worldgen the dwarven civilisations are occasionally wiped out by war, with many dwarves fleeing to the hills.  At what point do you see it being possible for the player to launch a reclaim mission on the original Mountain Halls?  Do you see this as more of an adventurer mission that would be ordered by the king?

Reclaims of Worldgen sites would be fantastic.

In fact, as sieges get expanded, could you attempt to reclaim a fortress that had been conquered and settled by an enemy of some sort? This would be way cool to do to fortresses lost in world gen, but even cooler if a fortress you built was lost in a siege and settled by an enemy, allowing you to reclaim with your own siege force to take it back.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 02, 2010, 07:08:41 pm »

Before you can reclaim a worldgen site, there needs to be code to generate dwarven fortresses procedurally...

I need to make that suggestion, already...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 02, 2010, 07:13:10 pm »

Before you can reclaim a worldgen site, there needs to be code to generate dwarven fortresses procedurally...

Toady already commented on it and he wants to make them like Player fortresses (which I don't think is really all that needed) and frankly I don't see what is soo difficult about making a Dwarf City proceedurally when Toady already created limitations within known as "Noise".

Dwarf Fortresses are easy enough.

It is the Dwarf towns and cities that are the more questionable aspect. Are they above ground or huge sprawling underground cities?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 02, 2010, 08:21:07 pm »

Toady already commented on it and he wants to make them like Player fortresses (which I don't think is really all that needed) and frankly I don't see what is soo difficult about making a Dwarf City proceedurally when Toady already created limitations within known as "Noise".

Dwarf Fortresses are easy enough.

It is the Dwarf towns and cities that are the more questionable aspect. Are they above ground or huge sprawling underground cities?

Mashed one out: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63054.0
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 02, 2010, 08:28:34 pm »

I would imagine that dwarven sprawl settlements might look similar to Hobbit-holes.

They would be underground but still have a noticeable affect on landscape.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #576 on: August 02, 2010, 10:14:32 pm »

Actually, it would be kind of nice if there was code that could keep skeletons together for the purposes of making undead, but could recognize when it's just normal-dead, and things could just plain rot so our stockpiles don't fill up with various unrotting body parts either for all eternity or until we use some kind of exploit like an atom smasher to get rid of them.

It's not like this HAS to be either-or.

Yeah, this could also lead to skeletons just plain falling apart after you 'kill' them, when the magical flag keeping them together vanishes. I'd like that.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 02, 2010, 10:15:51 pm »

That could also be useful for modders.

Imagine monsters made of metal and stuff simply falling apart when they're 'killed'.

That would be fun.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 02, 2010, 10:38:48 pm »

That could also be useful for modders.

Imagine monsters made of metal and stuff simply falling apart when they're 'killed'.

That would be fun.

Actually, I remember someone asked in a thread a few weeks back about how much bronze they would theoretically be able to get out of "melting down" a Bronze Collosus.  The answer was about 2300 bars of bronze.

That's basically bronze to then subsequently build an 80z-level tall statue of a bronze collossus.

This is largely thanks to having all bars of metal be only 2 liters of metal (I.E. your average soda bottle), yet still be capble of making a full tile cubic wall...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 02, 2010, 11:09:01 pm »

Dwarves just melt it down into really really thin sheets and  just stack them together like cards.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 03, 2010, 04:44:34 am »

Or they have the technology to make metal foam.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 03, 2010, 08:34:30 am »

Unfortunately, not even that works, as it's only about 5% as dense or 20 times as voluminous as regular metal.

If we go by the 3-meter-cube assumption for tiles, we are turning a 2-liter bar of metal into a 27m3 or 27,000 liter wall, a change of 13,500 times the volume.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 03, 2010, 02:40:03 pm »

The image in the new dev post looks pretty promising for adventurer mode. Walking from town to town with an adventurer without [T]raveling should get a lot easier, now that we can stop and rest more frequently. I just wish there was a better way to do that, one involving actual doctors, rather than magical retire/unretire healing. Plus, if the farming settlements are anything like current towns, they'll get savaged by ravenous woodland creatures every time you come out of retirement. What's up with that bug, anyway?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 03, 2010, 02:54:05 pm »

WTF? The lasted update of the dev-log ... its beautiful ... like a black Monolith from outer space only filled with villages instead of Stars!

Anyway keep working like that toady! Never since Daggerfall (TES 2 by Bastheda) someone programmed something like this for a game - atleast i am not aware of any game that does something like this - and your code seems better as theyrs already!

So lets see Daggerfall had 5000 villages and 750K NPCs. Lets say we have 50 civs on a middle-sized map with a average of 100 villages. 50 * 100 = 5000. Ok that record is broken! Now with 5000 villages a 50 village-people makes 250000 - not so much :( . But we have still 50 Mayor citys with say 3000 people each we get another 150000 NPCs. So 400K NPCs! And yours are even 10 more detailed  :D . So the game with the biggest game world ever? The prize goes over to DF and its one man Army Programming Studio.

edit: Will we get the villages be included into the xml output? How many historical persons are there per Village? Are there new Buildings (Barns, shrines, artificial ponds for fishing and fire-fighting)? Road-signs?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:00:16 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 03, 2010, 02:55:40 pm »

Unfortunately, not even that works, as it's only about 5% as dense or 20 times as voluminous as regular metal.

If we go by the 3-meter-cube assumption for tiles, we are turning a 2-liter bar of metal into a 27m3 or 27,000 liter wall, a change of 13,500 times the volume.
I would assume it's only about one meter or five feet cubed, based on the sizes of the intities which construct buildings and whatnot. Bigger creatures will likely be multitile, once that functionality goes in.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 342