Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551716 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1260 on: October 05, 2010, 12:00:40 pm »

Now that 31.x has been out awhile, what should we call this new version level?

I ask, because 2010 is coming to an end, and the wiki still refers to DF2010 as the current version as a placeholder until such time as Toady decides on a name for the current version.

(Personally, I prefer and use DF31, and prepending DF to the older 28a and 40d, but I can understand the confusion that would come from random numbers. Not that one more bit of uncommon confusion would kill the average DF player.)

It may be a minor thing but I share your query. Maybe just 31.x like most people call it?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: October 05, 2010, 07:11:47 pm »

Now that 31.x has been out awhile, what should we call this new version level?

I ask, because 2010 is coming to an end, and the wiki still refers to DF2010 as the current version as a placeholder until such time as Toady decides on a name for the current version.

(Personally, I prefer and use DF31, and prepending DF to the older 28a and 40d, but I can understand the confusion that would come from random numbers. Not that one more bit of uncommon confusion would kill the average DF player.)

It may be a minor thing but I share your query. Maybe just 31.x like most people call it?

The Age of Healthcare

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: October 05, 2010, 07:12:22 pm »

The Age of Doctor and Forgotten Beast.

EDIT: Beast, not Beats.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:58:39 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: October 05, 2010, 07:58:13 pm »

Why not call it DF2010? That was the date of the first 31 release, after all.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: October 05, 2010, 09:01:24 pm »

Why not call it DF2010? That was the date of the first 31 release, after all.

or 201X?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: October 05, 2010, 09:50:16 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: The Next Generation
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: October 06, 2010, 04:06:47 am »

Roight, a question from me. I know you've said it will be possible to both build Adventure Mode sites, and raid sites in Dwarf Mode. So... Will it be possible, in the future, to raid Adventurer created sites in Dwarf Mode? Cause that would be friggin amazing.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: October 06, 2010, 10:46:12 am »

Considering that adventurer sites will be treated like other sites, the raids will be targetting any site on the list, and that this is Dwarf Fortress; why wouldn't you be able to?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: October 06, 2010, 01:56:13 pm »

That is a very interesting possibility. Since you can retire adventures, and we might have direct control over site raids, we'd get to see what happens when you take a superhuman, trained up adventurer against the dwarven army. The results, I expect, would be terrifying.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: October 06, 2010, 08:45:18 pm »

Will there be a reputation system put in?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: October 06, 2010, 11:32:49 pm »

I just noticed that curses_800x600.png is back to regular size, with 10x12 tiles instead of 10x24. Yay.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1271 on: October 07, 2010, 03:08:09 am »

I just noticed that curses_800x600.png is back to regular size, with 10x12 tiles instead of 10x24. Yay.

Of course, this appears to be causing trouble in the release thread.  Not sure what's up yet, or if I can fix it myself.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1272 on: October 07, 2010, 08:06:30 am »

I have noticed that in .15 and .16 underground sieges have stopped.  In my current fortress I have modded in several underground races with the ability to send ambush parties and sieges.  In .13 and .14 aboveground sieges were broken, but the underground attackers would appear regularly.  In the latest release they seem to not appear anymore.  I suspect the changes to make goblin sieges again broke the underground sieges.  I also suspect that this is not an issue for most people since there are no underground sieging races in vanilla DF.

I've also noticed when I gen worlds now that I see a lot of thousand year long wars, that start early in world history and then never end.  This is probably a result of the way entity populations are handled now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: October 07, 2010, 08:36:42 am »

Can you remove the below ground condition on items designated to dump?
People should be able to responsibly dump and undump items, even above ground, which is currently not working.

Edit: Problem solved.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:26:45 am by MagmaMcFry »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1274 on: October 07, 2010, 08:44:23 am »

Can you remove the below ground condition on items designated to dump?
People should be able to responsibly dump and undump items, even above ground, which is currently not working.
Go to your (o)rders screen and enable outdoor refuse collection.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 342