Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1559230 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1350 on: October 11, 2010, 02:58:01 pm »

Oh man, if night creature conversions happen in fortress mode, I'm going to trap a couple, throw them in a pit, and then throw captured goblins down there to see what happens.

Do you guys suppose night creature bones will be worth more than regular goblin bones?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 11, 2010, 03:23:31 pm »

Quote from: Dev Log
dwarf mode has received its first night creature blessing as well. Proper burial is now somewhat more encouraged.
Now that's just plain ominous.

Zombies? In MY dwarf fortress?
It's more likely than you'd thAAAAAARGH MY SKULL OH GOD ITS GOT MY EYEBALLS . . .

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 11, 2010, 03:38:46 pm »

My apologies if my statement seemed offensive to you

Apology accepted.

----------------------

Hmmmm I am thinking of working on my next suggestion. The suggestion is that Fake Gods should be created as World Gen goes on rather then entirely immediately at the start. Gods could be modeled after cities (similar to the Greek Gods), Heros, Kings, or virtues that civilisation holds dear.

Also each little village has a warlord? Goodness DF is secretly the world of Xena
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:24:45 pm by Neonivek »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: October 11, 2010, 05:23:42 pm »

Also each little village has a warlord? Goodness DF is secretly the world of Xena

Makes sense to me. If a village doesn't have a warlord, it's just going to get steamrolled by a neighbor that does.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 11, 2010, 05:57:44 pm »

Makes sense to me. If a village doesn't have a warlord, it's just going to get steamrolled by a neighbor that does.
Pffft, a village shouldn't be able to support more than a squabble-chief at most  :P
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 11, 2010, 08:24:05 pm »

Pffft, a village shouldn't be able to support more than a squabble-chief at most  :P

Yeah that is the whole point of Nobles. The entire countryside pay to support the Lord who in turn supplies the Country side with Soldiers.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: October 11, 2010, 08:45:45 pm »

Its the other way around ;) The warlord treatens the people to pay taxes and just protects his source of income with (unwilling) subcontractors. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1357 on: October 12, 2010, 01:26:37 am »

Quote from: kuketski
Do you plan on enabling wedding in adventurer mode?

It's not a short term goal, but we'd like to add that sort of thing, yeah.  I believe I threatened a random poetry generator at some point.

Quote from: Doombell
As I believe one of the goals you have mentioned was multi-tile/z-level trees, what is the chance that such trees could be major geographical features, such as (elven?) sites, or even entire biomes, if you go with Pryan's mountain-high trees?

I doubt they'd be super super big at first -- probably limited to 48x48 tiles in their total expanse including the crown just because of how the map loader works.  I'm all for getting into exotic biomes at some point though, and it would be cool to have giant trees or backs of world beasts and stuff.

Quote from: Neonivek
Toady right now the game doesn't handle variety well. Both in variety in Civilisations and especially in variety in animals (Probably one of the major contributors to the collapse of the Arc project). Is there any plans/ideas to rectify this problem so Dwarf Fortress can handle expansive lists of creatures, races, and civilisation types in a way that is pleasing and functional?

I haven't tried to add a zillion stock creatures yet, though even with the stock creatures the stockpile lists are clunky, and I don't know what issues come up with having lots of civ types, so I'm not really sure what needs to be done.

Quote from: rex mortis
When can we expect to get wilderness populations to regenerate? I want to attempt to a fortress heavily based on hunting but one eventually runs out of game.

It's part of the hunting section up on the dev page.  I imagine we'll get to that before too long, but we didn't want to sink time into tracking for this release.

Quote from: Medicine Man
When a justice system is put into the game, will the town's religion have impact on the justice? I could imagine a religion of love letting you off with a warning but a religion of chaos burying you waste deep in a murky pool so the rain would drown you.

It probably won't matter at first, but I imagine it'll come up, or that the religions will influence the civ ethics at least.

Quote from: tfaal
Are invasion forces now drawn from the invading nation's entity populations, or are they still spawned ex nihilo? Assuming the later, how soon is this expected to be rectified?

The villages don't maintain their populations yet once world generation is over, so I haven't been drawing from them yet.  I don't have a timeline for it.  A quick breeding algorithm can be tossed in and computed yearly or something, but I might wait for site resources.

Quote from: Quatch
Now that 31.x has been out awhile, what should we call this new version level?

I've just been calling it 0.31.x in text or "31 x"/"the 31 x series of releases" when speaking.  I know that's confusing with references to 40d, but the random animals and stuff are just as confusing to me (Tiger before Leopard but after Panther, Vista before 7 but after XP, and so on).  The 40d thing is unfortunate, but we'll just have to work toward getting the main version number up to 41, he he he.

Quote from: Medicine Man
Will there be a reputation system put in?

Yeah, the next release will have something like this.  There has been one for years, but it is clunky.

Quote from: tfaal
Hey Toady, are you planning on removing the superhuman attributes for adventurers any time soon? Since we're going to have some less fearsome opponents in the near future, it would be cool if they were still a challenge.

The attributes depend on the skills you pick, and we want people to be able to play heroes if they want, especially while there is little opportunity to become more talented over long periods of time.  It'll probably stay the same until there's more to do, but yeah, we're working toward making that feasible.  You might still want your attributes when you get caught outside for the time being, he he he.

Quote from: Heph
Will randomisation tags make it into the Raws with next version? Half-random nasties would actually be neat.

The forgotten beast-style stuff is still hard-coded.  It's a large project to get them out, and I still don't know how I'm going to do it.

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
There have been suggestions for a CE_HALLUCINATIONS syndrome effect that sporadically causes dwarves to be interrupted by nonexistant creatures. Is this going to happen at some point, and if so, will this be used by phantom spiders, which currently lack venom?

I mentioned hallucinations before and talked about them a bit (don't remember where), but I don't have particular plans.  Dunno what's going to happen to phantom spiders either.  It'll probably be something new, anyway.

Also could we get non-monstrous stuff to create Monsters like this? It would be fitting around spherical lands where people can get "lost".
I was thinking more along the lines of curses onto a specific spot (say from a witch which was burned out of superstition) that turns a entire village in Nightcreaturish things or certain certain circumstances in a spherical land turning you into one - say Rorec McHuman tuning into a Bear after eating the wrong fruit/animal.

The doors are opening for this kind of thing now.  Once I get syndromes or however the particular critters work to effect transformations, then more will be possible, and things like syndromey food and drink will take it further once that's possible.  Depending on the night creatures I do, we'll have the effects for this release or not -- the current transformations didn't use them, though they set part of the framework for them.

Quote from: Fieari
Toady, this is important to know: You said that the transformed creature no longer cares about their former lives, and ignore previous familiar relationships. Does the still human spouse care? They better...

I'm thinking it would also be fantastic if people had different ways of mourning the loss of a loved one to transformation, and how that would effect the quests you'd be given. Some would want their transformed spouse killed (That's not my husband, that's the thing that killed my husband. Kill it for me!") while some might be unable to let go and long to be reunited, probably to the point of getting killed, while others might insist on setting you on a quest to find some cure (that probably won't actually work)...
Quote from: Bryan Derksen
Toady, is it planned for it to be possible for Nightcreatures to sometimes retain a connection to their original lives beyond just history trivia? Perhaps enough to allow conversation, perhaps just enough to bias its actions regarding people or civilizations it used to know?

They care as much as people that have lost a child to a kidnapper...  not at all, really.  I still have to do the conversations, and there aren't really many independent actors now and they still don't think about much.  I haven't gotten to villains yet.  I'm all for different kinds of memory retention etc., but it'll still be a bit before we get there.  Like site resources, having independent actors is one of those things that we've been waiting for for a long time, but I feel like we are closer to both of those now, anyway.

Are Night-creatures influenced by spherical places? Like a dusk-ogres that happens to be in a fertility sphere being more lusty and fertile?

Places like that still don't exist.  Part of the creature randomization idea is to base them on the character of the land though, if they are associated to it, but it's still just good/evil at this point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Vox Nihili

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 12, 2010, 03:16:10 am »

Since you're adding night creatures and other adventure mode-focused stuff, do you think it would be possible to throw a bone to the adventurers exploring abandoned fortresses?  It would be cool if some various night creatures automatically took up residence in abandoned fortresses and accosted any adventurers who dared to enter.  Bands of kobolds or animal people living in the old dining room, etc. would also be really cool.  The sky is the limit, really, but even something simple and hacky could be great!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 12, 2010, 04:15:35 am »

I would love that.

I mean, I'd love a bit of randomness and a bit of danger when I delve back into the horrid mess of my fortress.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: October 12, 2010, 08:50:12 am »

Since you're adding night creatures and other adventure mode-focused stuff, do you think it would be possible to throw a bone to the adventurers exploring abandoned fortresses?  It would be cool if some various night creatures automatically took up residence in abandoned fortresses and accosted any adventurers who dared to enter.  Bands of kobolds or animal people living in the old dining room, etc. would also be really cool.  The sky is the limit, really, but even something simple and hacky could be great!

I remember this used to be a feature waaay back in 2d...(based on Boatmurdered)

I never played 2d, but I wish that the current version still had these features.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 12, 2010, 09:18:29 am »

This is totally unrelated to the current arc, but I was just wondering,

Toady, are there any plans to have long term (as in, more than just seasonal) variations in temperature/climate? So you might have a year where the temperatures are on average 5 dorf units cooler (with thusly differing melting/freezing times), or a decade where rainfall is half what it normally is?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: October 12, 2010, 11:02:41 am »

Thanks, Toady!

As for the dev log:

So, the reference about 'cauldrons of blood.' Is that just a poetic way of saying that this release will involve great violence and terror? Or are there actual, real cauldrons now, that are filled/can be filled with blood?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: October 12, 2010, 04:36:55 pm »

Also who else thought on "The beauty and the beast" as you were reading the dev-blog?
Some people might even choose to become night creatures for one reason or another.
Personally, I was imagining catgirl night-creatures, and situations where their existing relationships wouldn't even change at all (at least, not in ways that we're privy to).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: October 12, 2010, 04:58:41 pm »

Also who else thought on "The beauty and the beast" as you were reading the dev-blog?
Some people might even choose to become night creatures for one reason or another.
Personally, I was imagining catgirl night-creatures, and situations where their existing relationships wouldn't even change at all (at least, not in ways that we're privy to).
That opens up a whole new sociological can of worms, with transhumanism and stuff like that. I'd not recommend delving into it for thematic reasons.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 342