Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1561830 times)

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1395 on: October 17, 2010, 02:40:03 am »

But then it doesn't show up in the "Show new replies to your posts" function of the forum, does it?
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: October 17, 2010, 04:14:47 am »

I just realized that Rutherers are actually "r u there? rs"
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: October 17, 2010, 04:27:43 am »

I just realized that Rutherers are actually "r u there? rs"
And now I will never look at them quite the same way again... Thanks! :D
I just looked up their article in the wiki. The description isn't very specific, is it? Four-legged and thick-furred animal with a tail? For all I know, that could be a subterranean Yakut pony...
Are there any plans for more detailed descriptions of beasts? Fur colour, size in proportion to oneself's character, etcetera.?
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: October 17, 2010, 09:58:45 am »

Hmm...

Do night creatures use the items in their lair - that is, if one got a hold on armor from a victim, would the creature wear it if it's the right size? Or will they act like dragons and only scatter it about?
If they use the things, are night creatures something of micro-entities, or could other creatures with a den (if the den creation is one of the new behaviors that'll be available as tags) get equipment this way?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: October 17, 2010, 02:14:52 pm »

Hmm . . . meat cleavers in-game.  How long until the code recreates Tristram complete with a certain Butcher underground?

--Rexfelum

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: October 17, 2010, 03:26:54 pm »

I would love to see these tools make into fortress mode - the fact dwarves carve stone objects out of their bare hands really break immersion.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: October 17, 2010, 03:53:36 pm »

unfortunately
Quote from: Neonivek
Quote from: Askot Bokbondeler
will other jobs in fortress mode requires or benefit from tools? like smithing require a hammer, carpenting require a saw, farming requiring...the farming thingie, etc?
I think, if I remember correctly.

That Fortress mode will still be extrapolated when it comes to tools, while Adventurer mode will still require them.

Yeah, the idea now is just to leave it the same, and explore various things in adventure mode where book-keeping and general catastropic meltdown won't be as much of a problem.  If reasonable unannoying alterations can be made to dwarf mode, that'll be cool, but it's not crucial.
:-[ hopefully modders can solve part of the problem

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: October 17, 2010, 05:37:49 pm »

How do you know that they do all that stuff with their bare hands? I just assume that the tools are part of the workshop, and masons and engravers and the like hide their tools in their not-pants when I look at them. Besides, I like not having to make sure I have a decent supply of engraving scalpels or whatever they use. 'course if that sort of thing DOES go in, like a lot of other contraversial things that we discuss (diggers, for instance) there'd likely be an init option for it.

TOPIC SHIFT

Now that we'll be getting quests from villagers to go save the town from chaos trolls and werehippos and whatnot, are quest rewards going to be implemented? Or are we still on the "Screw you, you're a hero, you don't need to be paid" business model?. 'course, I suppose that if these guys have useful loot in their little caves knowing where to find the night creatures might in itself be a decent reward.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 05:40:15 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: October 17, 2010, 07:40:48 pm »

IIrc toady mentioned a better repuatation system where you can get stuff like a place to sleep free food and so on.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: October 17, 2010, 08:13:08 pm »

How do you know that they do all that stuff with their bare hands? I just assume that the tools are part of the workshop, and masons and engravers and the like hide their tools in their not-pants when I look at them. Besides, I like not having to make sure I have a decent supply of engraving scalpels or whatever they use. 'course if that sort of thing DOES go in, like a lot of other contraversial things that we discuss (diggers, for instance) there'd likely be an init option for it.
Congratulations for you being able to abstract. :p
But seriously, the matter about tools is not of abstraction, but of consistency. Why there is picks and axes but not fishing rods for fishing or knives for butchering?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: October 17, 2010, 08:32:31 pm »

Because picks and axes are too big to hide in their not-pants, obviously.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: October 17, 2010, 08:35:48 pm »

Congratulations for you being able to abstract. :p
But seriously, the matter about tools is not of abstraction, but of consistency. Why there is picks and axes but not fishing rods for fishing or knives for butchering?

For butchering I'd imagine that dwarves are so hardcore that they can rip the heads off of beasties with their bare hands, given a disadvantage of the latter party.
But yeah fishing rods would be nice. Especially for adventure mode! I have a feeling adventure mode fishing will be implemented eventually.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: October 17, 2010, 08:55:20 pm »

IIrc toady mentioned a better repuatation system where you can get stuff like a place to sleep free food and so on.

Yes, in the October 7 devlog entry. And the one he just put up as well. Also: "It is now more dangerous to travel alone after sunset," so a place to sleep should be a good thing, as opposed to just an excuse to make your computer crunch numbers while you're off eating dinner.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: October 17, 2010, 11:28:37 pm »

QUESTS!
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1409 on: October 17, 2010, 11:40:44 pm »

Quote from: thvaz
When will at least some of the world gen events happen after proper world gen is finished?

This is the main thing we are aiming for, pretty much, of all the features in the game.  It has just been tricky to start without entity populations, and to a lesser extent site resources.  We've got entity populations now as of the September releases.  This time we wanted to get an adventure mode game to play, so that something is happening there, especially since it degenerated even more with the villages.  Tentatively, we are thinking about November for site resources, caravan and town stuff, and December for other groups moving around, which'll finally mean something is happening.  If we can get the economy up in November, then that should impact dwarf mode quite a bit as well, and it would be at that point perhaps that armies can also start coming from places, though we still have some depopulation concerns until things are ironed out.

Quote from: Vox Nihili
Since you're adding night creatures and other adventure mode-focused stuff, do you think it would be possible to throw a bone to the adventurers exploring abandoned fortresses?  It would be cool if some various night creatures automatically took up residence in abandoned fortresses and accosted any adventurers who dared to enter.  Bands of kobolds or animal people living in the old dining room, etc. would also be really cool.  The sky is the limit, really, but even something simple and hacky could be great!

There is one bone, but it might not be the kind you were looking for.  There's always been a problem with finalizing the state of the fortress, especially with invasions, but more generally because the world gen stuff doesn't continue, so creatures rarely move in properly.  In December we'll have a very good chance for it, since we should also have ruined castles by then and these kinds of places will be sought out.

Quote from: Osmosis Jones
Toady, are there any plans to have long term (as in, more than just seasonal) variations in temperature/climate? So you might have a year where the temperatures are on average 5 dorf units cooler (with thusly differing melting/freezing times), or a decade where rainfall is half what it normally is?

I don't have any explicit plans.  Once there are world gen famines and better farming, I imagine that would be a good place to start, since variations are an important factor there.

Quote from: Sunday
So, the reference about 'cauldrons of blood.' Is that just a poetic way of saying that this release will involve great violence and terror? Or are there actual, real cauldrons now, that are filled/can be filled with blood?

Ah, yeah, I guess that's ambiguous, isn't it?  I hadn't thought about that.

Quote from: Heph
Will be nigh creatures be tied in into religions stuff. I mean stuff like the old european "Hexenhammer" or that the people start to ascribe certain forms of nightcreatures to certain Entitys like (staying at sowelus example) Catgirls being seen gifted by the "forrest-spirit" etc. ?

The dev page has a bit about religion vs. night creatures and also paranoia among the populace, but we didn't do any of that for this time.  I think it'll be easier to consider adding friendlier creatures once we have a game established in adventure mode...  which will unfortunately still be centered around violence and unfriendly creatures.  The same thing has always been true of the megabeasts as well.  The good region titans aren't really good despite their descriptions.  We'll see what happens when the stuff from the first questions goes in.  I expect it'll be a while yet.

Quote from: thvaz
About the burials, will dwarves visit the tombs of their loved ones?

There's nothing like that at this point.  We were trying to get to a little bit a few days back when I finished off the dwarf stuff I had been working on, but I ran out of the time I had set aside for myself, so it's still a very simple system with the burial and the new memorials, without requiring any other dwarf input.

Quote from: Knight Otu
Do night creatures use the items in their lair - that is, if one got a hold on armor from a victim, would the creature wear it if it's the right size? Or will they act like dragons and only scatter it about?
If they use the things, are night creatures something of micro-entities, or could other creatures with a den (if the den creation is one of the new behaviors that'll be available as tags) get equipment this way?

There is a little bit of item use, but we didn't have armor in mind for the night creatures we have so far and they don't want to use new items.  We're considering going back and revamping all the megabeast living arrangements, but it's a question of time as usual.  In general, critters including people are still quite ignorant about items sitting around and so on.

Quote from: Untelligent
Now that we'll be getting quests from villagers to go save the town from chaos trolls and werehippos and whatnot, are quest rewards going to be implemented?

We don't have bounties at this point.  I haven't done bandits and other bad people like that yet but am hoping to for this time, so I'm not entirely ruling that out, but probably not.  There is the reputation increase, which is beneficial, though not as much as it will be when there's more to do for your chosen affiliations.  The questing spots do have good items to use sometimes, as well as other objects that can be brought back to the soon-to-be-readded-this-time stores to trade up.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 342