Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562857 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1560 on: October 28, 2010, 04:02:56 pm »

Not really, I've always seen DF stairs as being like spiral staircases. Rather than 12 sets, or whatever distance corresponds to a z level
*Hugs*

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: October 28, 2010, 04:03:59 pm »

Ramps are pretty messed up too, when you think about it. They're omnidirectional (a ramp can go up to the left and right at the same time, and change on demand — neat!), they don't particularly exist at the top level, and so forth.

I just think of DF stairs as being spiral staircases, or something similar.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: October 28, 2010, 04:09:04 pm »

There's a touch of Hogwarts in the DF ramps then?
*Hugs*

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: October 28, 2010, 04:11:27 pm »

Not really, I've always seen DF stairs as being like spiral staircases. Rather than 12 sets, or whatever distance corresponds to a z level

Sure but spiral staircases are much more interesting when they actually go in a spiral.  For instance, if you stack DF stairs 10 high, you can still shoot a projectile from top to bottom because there aren't any floors to stop it.

Ramps are pretty messed up too, when you think about it. They're omnidirectional (a ramp can go up to the left and right at the same time, and change on demand — neat!), they don't particularly exist at the top level, and so forth.

Stairs have the equivalent weirdness of letting you move between them in any direction.  Imagine what a 3x3x10 stack of spiral stairs would look like.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:14:27 pm by Footkerchief »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: October 28, 2010, 04:15:32 pm »

I'd imagine it'd be one massive staircase, rathee than ninety individual ones.
*Hugs*

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: October 28, 2010, 04:17:04 pm »

i think of df stairs as ladders... large enough for cows and camels to climb

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: October 28, 2010, 05:03:07 pm »

Sure but spiral staircases are much more interesting when they actually go in a spiral.  For instance, if you stack DF stairs 10 high, you can still shoot a projectile from top to bottom because there aren't any floors to stop it.

To be fair, plenty of spiral staircases still have a line of sight from top to bottom, although not completely unobstructed.

Stairs have the equivalent weirdness of letting you move between them in any direction.  Imagine what a 3x3x10 stack of spiral stairs would look like.

I like to think of a large block of stairs as just one very large staircase. Of course, it's still a little weird that you can move between any of their tiles.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: October 28, 2010, 09:54:27 pm »

I would also suggest that many ramps are actually single direction staircases, such as you would find in front of your local library, or perhaps in a government building. Of course, I suggest this because I do not want to deprive my dwarves of stairs entirely, given my dislike for the aforementioned Antigravity Tubes.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: October 29, 2010, 01:45:33 am »

Why do the towers use ramps instead of stairs?
(And speaking of it, all the other adventurer mode buildings.)

Probably because DF ramps are much more stairlike than DF stairs, which are more akin to antigravity tubes or something.
I'm now imagining my dwarves shooting around my fortress in pneumatic tubes. The image is not unpleasant; it seems efficient.

You can do that in a normal spiral staircase, by leaning over one of the sides. It's possible for people to take cover, sure, but a shot is still pretty feasible.

Designing that would be an interesting feat of engineering for a human. For a dwarf, it is presumably something that is dealt with in the earlier classes at architecture school.

I would also suggest that many ramps are actually single direction staircases, such as you would find in front of your local library, or perhaps in a government building. Of course, I suggest this because I do not want to deprive my dwarves of stairs entirely, given my dislike for the aforementioned Antigravity Tubes.
So you'd rather that parts of your fortress be ADA non-compliant for no reason?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:48:43 am by Cruxador »

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: October 29, 2010, 02:34:48 am »

All ramps are also 45 degrees. Pushing a seige engine (let alone a tower) up that would be... terribly difficult.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: October 29, 2010, 03:36:59 am »

that's why siege engines are static

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: October 29, 2010, 04:23:06 am »

All ramps are also 45 degrees. Pushing a seige engine (let alone a tower) up that would be... terribly difficult.
I think this is where the line is between complaining that an abstraction is inadequate and complaining that it is an abstraction.
that's why siege engines are static
1. I highly doubt that that is the reason.
2. They are not intended to remain immobile.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: October 29, 2010, 04:45:12 am »

eh, twas just a little joke

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: October 29, 2010, 07:02:52 am »

can we have dungeons under castles?secret escape routes:D?Or crypts?Royal furneal chambers,of some sort?So the Urist McDeadKingDwarf can slaughter the ones that interrupt his eternal sleep?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:13:23 am by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: October 29, 2010, 12:16:15 pm »

can we have dungeons under castles?secret escape routes:D?Or crypts?Royal furneal chambers,of some sort?So the Urist McDeadKingDwarf can slaughter the ones that interrupt his eternal sleep?
All of the above are planned, but there is no definite timetable in place.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 342