Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551548 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1605 on: November 01, 2010, 12:55:00 am »

Quote from: FuzzyDoom
If you got to choose 1 thing to add in, and it would would perfectly the way you wanted it, what would it be?

I usually say time travel for this, because it'd be more or less impossible, but if it were perfect, then that would mean the computers are awesome.  I have trouble thinking in terms of favorites in general though.  There are lots of things to do and they all work with each other.

Quote from: Neonivek
Toady what are your views on lineage in terms of Great (or perhaps terrible) family lines? In as so far as having great people give birth to great people and vise versa
I understand the "Money" and "Genetic" aspect but usually in myth and legend there is actual power in being the son or daughter of someone who is also great.

Yeah, there's definitely a place for that.  The demigod thing, the descendents of a more mighty ancient people, magic running in bloodlines, fate smiling on a family tree, a tie with the land being ruled, etc.  There are a lot of angles.  There will probably be people that don't want that sort of separation between people, and I imagine restricting or removing it would be the same as removing a type of magic from the world.

Quote from: Heph
Will this castles serve also a strategical important during worldgen in the next release? Like blocking an important pass over a mountain-range for an invading army?

Not in the next release.  The move to a weekly world gen for army considerations is a prelude to doing more tracking of positions and so on, but it doesn't march them around or think about terrain beyond static bonuses.  There might be armies moving around during play before world gen gifts them with properly placed fortifications.  Then we'd need to get them thinking more about how they want to place things.

Quote from: Mephansteras
Are castles just a human-only thing right now? Will other races be getting interesting places soon?

I'm not sure exactly when the other races will get their stuffs.  The obstacle for the elves is making giant trees and the obstacle for dwarves is making it generate a dwarf fortress.  We'll just have to start it some time, but it might coincide with the fortress starting scenario stuff about entity pops associated to your fort since that will further specify how dwarf sprawl is going to relate to its surroundings.

Quote from: tfaal
Will the unwinnable quests to kill friendly demon civ-leaders be no-more with this release?

Yeah.  You can also take quests from the demon should you locate it.

Quote from: skaltum
When will you begin to implement more seige engines, or perhaps a mini mode such as the arena where the player is in command of the defenders or attackers and has catapults, seige towers battering rams etc at there disposal?, will it also be possible to implement a feature where destroyed towers or sections of walls would cause a cave in?

I imagine once the armies are moving around and you yourself are tasked to or otherwise want to overcome a castle's defenses, you'll start getting your prizes.  There's also the boat angle which I doubt will be the cause of vehicles (or moving siege engines) but could be.  Then there are the dwarf siege improvements, which requires pretty much the same preconditions as the adventure mode sieges.  So imagine as we are working through the Nov/Dec site resource/caravan/army stuff, we might not get to siege engines, but we'll be ready for it.  Any disconnected wall section would collapse, but having siege engines breaking pieces of walls might making improving the cave-in code a higher priority.

Quote from: Eric Blank
This somehow brings to mind the idea of player-moddable sites and structures

Is this even a consideration at the moment?

I'm not sure what I need for the vanilla game yet, so it would be difficult to tie myself to a raw format for moddable structures at this early point.  There's quite a bit of random variation, so it's the same trouble as rawifying the random beasts.

Quote from: thvaz
How much time it takes for a civ to build one of these castles? If they are not instantly built, can the process be interrupted? Are they built with materials available to the civilizations? Is wood one of these materials?Can they become ruins?

Right now it is an instant process, which means it takes one year at most.  We wanted to do wooden fortifications, but if you have to do one quickly, then the big stone ones are more fun.  On the other hand, humans don't currently have stone as civ materials, so it's all very strange.  The upcoming site resource stuff should change all of this.  Castles are subject to the new site code, which doesn't respect the old ruination stuff yet, but we'll get to it.

Quote from: Jiri Petru
Why do the towers use ramps instead of stairs?
(And speaking of it, all the other adventurer mode buildings.)

I think of the X stairs as more rickety spiral staircases, but aside from the tower, the only one I can think of is the new labyrinth, which uses stairs.  I also didn't like the thought of a battle being fought up a tower with the defenders always being directly above in a row, especially if arrows work down through multiple stair tiles.

Quote from: thvaz
Will bandits attack in fortress mode? There will be multiracial bands?

They don't attack in fortress mode at this point.  In part because they don't yet make new groups and in part because they don't attack yet sites, just travelers.  There are multiracial bands.  In general you'll have goblins, or humans, or humans and goblins, but if humans take over elf/dwarf sites in world gen then you can get those as well.

Quote from: tfaal
I notice the dev page hasn't been updated to reflect the upcoming changes of the next release. Isn't that what "Done, Next Release" is for?
Quote from: Knight Otu
It may simply be that the additions since then weren't complete enough to mark as resolved on the dev page.

Yeah, it has been rough there.  Even the bandit mention at the top of villians is probably only fit for a "partial" once the release is up, since the leaders don't really feel like villains specifically, but it is technically done.  I can mark off "Reputation with entity (see below) allowing for easier followers", and I think there's another partial in the reputation section now.  "Clean up the wrestling interface" just happened.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: November 01, 2010, 06:46:05 am »

Thanks once again Toady for answering our questions.

It surprises me everytime

Toady what are views on gods and forces manifesting or rather having physical bodies whether it being their true body, Avatar, or even a avatar tied into their being? Will they ever appear? How powerful will they be?
Second Toady question in spoiler

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wonder if I should be asking questions like these
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:29:45 am by Neonivek »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: November 01, 2010, 08:28:38 am »

that's a quote, not a spoiler

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: November 01, 2010, 08:30:02 am »

that's a quote, not a spoiler

Whoops fixed.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: November 01, 2010, 10:55:31 am »

From the dev page:

I know I just said I was done with features, but I was on a roll and did aimed attacks and random combat opportunities.

I am vomiting rainbows.

I'll think of a question later.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: November 01, 2010, 10:56:52 am »

devlog

I...I...I don't know what to say...

I think I'm crying with joy...

...ninjad.  But still crying with joy.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: November 01, 2010, 11:08:44 am »

The only answer that can properly express how I feel about that isOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGOD

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: November 01, 2010, 11:09:38 am »

Jreengus christ the awesome quotient of the release just went up twenty-seven percent.

Unfortunately, smarter enemies probably means my weird swarm of bees that stings enemies until they fall unconscious and then strangles them to death will probably stop doing that, but it's a small price to pay.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: November 01, 2010, 11:12:51 am »

GIVE ME THIS RELEASE NOW!!!  :'(

Tomorrow is holiday here and I can't play this jewel ...

Do these changes in combat occur in fortress mode too? I mean, dwarves and his enemies will choose strikes based on these new rules?

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: November 01, 2010, 11:26:27 am »

I can has brutal fatalities?  Yes!
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: November 01, 2010, 11:32:25 am »

In regards to the new AI targeting, will dwarves (or creatures in general) that like to take risks try the harder to hit attacks more often when the payout is good enough?   And if you do miss a strike is there a chance of it hitting a nearby bodypart instead before it misses completely?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: November 01, 2010, 12:01:22 pm »

Am I missing something?

- Random-generated night creatures like hags and trolls, the scope of which we yet don't fully know!
- Revamped minotaurs which steal weapons from their fallen enemies and builds labirinths!
- Bandits!
- Reputation system!
- Shops are back!
- New Travel Map!
- Randomized Castles!
- Aimed attacks and random-combat opportunities!

Now I need only fleshed out announcements in adventure mode(the cluttering in large battles is overbearing) and I think I wll never need to play another roguelike again.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: November 01, 2010, 12:35:11 pm »

So what is the estimated date for the November release. Hoping sooner than later, but what you have coming out sounds great.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: November 01, 2010, 12:43:00 pm »

"A few more days," according to the November report.

Next weekend or earlier, methinks.

To add to that list:

-quests are much easier to get
-inns (I think)
-gatherings of meat shields sidekicks you can recruit (like the drunks of olden days, but less drunk)
-natural starting skills for modders
-probably a few fixes to existing bugs
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: November 01, 2010, 01:06:37 pm »

Aimed attacks are the best thing since...since...Well, something really good.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 342