Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551748 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1770 on: November 07, 2010, 05:05:03 pm »

All hail Skinnyrends the conqueror! May his kin make it into the next release!

(I suspect that the attack of Skinnyrends was caused by the animal attack code that takes wild animals and makes them attack settlements.)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: November 07, 2010, 05:29:07 pm »

I have almost as many modded civs as vanilla ones, so I hope it's as simple as adding [CAN_BANDIT] or similar to the entity raws to get bandit groups.  Upgrading my computer this week too; can't wait to play new DF with better than ever fps.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: November 07, 2010, 05:33:11 pm »

Just remember that odd numbered releases are cursed.  Make sure you back up yer saves before migrating ;)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1773 on: November 07, 2010, 05:55:57 pm »

Just remember that odd numbered releases are Extra FUN.
Fixed

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: November 07, 2010, 06:07:40 pm »

All hail Skinnyrends the conqueror! May his kin make it into the next release!

(I suspect that the attack of Skinnyrends was caused by the animal attack code that takes wild animals and makes them attack settlements.)
Actually, that reminds me that I haven't seen any (non-mega) monster rampages in legends mode for a while, nor world-gen animals with names. I should check whether those were my fault or if these currently don't happen.

----

Regarding the quests - does the quest giver only take into account if the target is a (semi)megabeast to determine if you're ready to face it, or also, say, the difficulty tag?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: November 07, 2010, 06:34:59 pm »

Dont take me wrong, I love these stories from the devlog... but they are making the waiting completely unbearable.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1776 on: November 07, 2010, 07:17:48 pm »

Dont take me wrong, I love these stories from the devlog... but they are making the waiting completely unbearable.

Reread

tap foot

bite nails

f-5

reread

etc

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: November 07, 2010, 08:00:58 pm »

I can't wait for the next release  :D

I'd be happy to play the next release even with a few minor bugs here and there.
My personality profile.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: November 07, 2010, 08:10:08 pm »

With the new travel map, how long until we should expect migrating goblin bandits and such, not just direct ambushers but potentially people just passing through like the residual HFS?
Nom nom nom

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1779 on: November 08, 2010, 02:45:44 am »

Quote from: Neonivek
Toady what are views on gods and forces manifesting or rather having physical bodies whether it being their true body, Avatar, or even a avatar tied into their being? Will they ever appear? How powerful will they be?

my question which is more about how gods will manifest in full and how powerful Toady really expects them to be since they can be anywhere from Megabeast strength, which makes sense given that some megabeasts actually were birthed from gods in myth and legends, to even so beyond that to the point where Toady would either make them unstoppable or simply not capable of existing in a real form. Then there is what risks a god actually takes when fighting in their physical form, for example if a god manifests are they even harmed by being defeated?

All that sounds fine.  Threetoe says "Gods will be in there and they'll be messing with your life".  So, no timeline as usual, but it's the plan.  The dwarf mode additions this time around has set up a bit of the framework for historical figures with unusual unit links, though we were hoping to do a bit more than we got to of course.

Quote from: thvaz
Do these changes in combat occur in fortress mode too? I mean, dwarves and his enemies will choose strikes based on these new rules?
Quote from: monk12
Will the new combat mechanics make it into Fortress mode as well?

Yeah, everybody everywhere uses them.

Quote from: Greiger
In regards to the new AI targeting, will dwarves (or creatures in general) that like to take risks try the harder to hit attacks more often when the payout is good enough?   And if you do miss a strike is there a chance of it hitting a nearby bodypart instead before it misses completely?

It doesn't take personality into account at this point.  I think I've gotten timid with personality effect additions awaiting the big rewrite there on the dev page.  Aimed attacks can miss their intended target and hit parent or nearby parts instead.  This is more likely with the smaller target parts.

Quote from: Heph
Well with Aimed attacks in place do you think you could go on into basic "Martial arts" next? It would be nice to do  some Akido-like counter attacks or Karate-blows.

Apart from that some questions:

How do the kicker, dodger and related skills influence the fighting opportunities?
Are Kicking, punching considered as valid attacks if you have for example one hand free so you could punch the other guy to knock him out?
Do these aimed attacks work for Ranged weapons too? Will spitting cobras aim for your eyes?
Is Armor taken into account thus will the Ai attack an un-armored part of someones body if the rest is to hard to get through?
Quote from: Sowelu
I am imagining that weapon skill increases the number and quality of good opportunities you get, while striker is what handles damage etc. and dodge helps reduce opportunities.
Quote from: tfaal
Possibly. I would imagine that weapon skill just makes you straight up more likely to hit, regardless of opportunities, though, since that sounds simplest to implement. Am I correct in this assumption?

I want to add the combat styles of course, but I think caravan site resource stuff needs to come in, and we're still planning on starting that later this month.

Right now, fighting opportunities depend on the melee fighter skill and relevant attack skill vs. melee fighter and dodge.  That shafts parry (weapon)/block skills -- you still get your skill role bonus, but dodge is emphasized.  Not sure if that'll change.

You can't currently aim ranged attacks, though it might get in before the release.  In that case the skills used will have to change again, of course, though it might be that there aren't skill influences the same way there, since opportunities and changing chances are supposed to come in part from the positioning from the ongoing fight, which can't be influenced in the same way by a distant shooter.

Punching, kicking, biting and scratching are all available in addition to weapon attacks.  As is typical, whether or not hands are full etc. is probably not all that respected.  I didn't do anything with the broken two-handed weapons etc.

They consider armor when aiming, but they can't run all of the numbers quickly so they just wing it.

Quote from: JoRo
Seeing as the example screenshots showed kicking as an attack of opportunity, does this mean that you could wield multiple weapons and make occasional attacks with your off hand?

Yeah, you can use whichever weapon you like whenever you like, and opportunities come up with either one.  If you just press toward the enemy, the wielded weapon will be preferred, but it'll use your offhand item if a good opportunity comes up.

Quote from: Dakk
Since creatures are now able to identify an opportunity to deal a decisive blow into whatever they're fighting, how will they behave when there's no special oportunities to say, hack someone's head off? Will they just fight normaly as they did, or they will try certain things, like disarming you or trying to put you off balance to achieve that opportunity for lethal damage?
Quote from: Footkerchief
Making the AI plan multi-stage maneuvers, like disarmament or putting you off balance in preparation for a strike, is probably not the kind of feature that would be implemented in a day, and it's not closely related to any of the features he did implement.  He'd have mentioned it.

Yeah, there aren't any special disarm/balance manuevers.

Quote from: Sagabal
Will aimed attacks and wrestling attacks be organized with submenus?  Scrolling through 8 pages of possible wrestling moves (only 2 of which I ever use) becomes tiring.

Yeah, you go through two screens for each one to break things up.

Quote from: Untelligent
Will all this aimed attack stuff be optional (i.e. toggled via a menu in-game)? It's great for tough battles, but when I'm fighting a horde of crundles it might be more efficient to turn off tactical combat for a few minutes.

You can still just press toward an enemy.  It uses the process the enemies and your companions use in that case.

Quote from: Knigel
With the implementation of aimed attacks, will the previously mentioned aimed defending be far behind?

I'm not sure when the next opportunity to work on combat will be.  I imagine the guard/defense stuff will be one of the next combat things, along with the combat/move split, but I dunno when it'll happen.

Quote from: Captain Mayday
My assumption is that the attacks have a tendency to strike at [HEAD], [UPPERBODY] and [LOWERBODY] tagged body parts, and possibly throats as well (though this might fall under [HEAD] with the vanilla body constructs).
I presume in this case that the tendency to strike these tags will flow on into your non-aimed attacks in adventurer mode.
Since everything already has a relative size, I further assume that this also impacts the likelihood of attacks hitting.

How accurate is this?

Yeah, that's right.  The head and body tags add some weight to the strike, which is balanced with the chance to strike, the chance to strike squarely and armor.

I'll also ask, are you planning to use creature variations to help with the stock night creature type creatures?
To clarify, let me give an example - the werewolf.
Werewolves may possess a syndrome that allows them to infect on a bite.
This syndrome would trigger a creature variation (possibly even delayed by time), which would add, remove or change tags on the base creature.

This would of course cause them to gain the syndrome causing bite as well.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to use something as broad as a creature variation, at least for things beyond the body.  The ability to have a custom body has been partially supported and unused for a long time, but allowing any tag to be replaced is difficult without creating a new creature definition.

Is the difficulty of hitting the head hardcoded, defined in the raws, or the result of something else entirely?

What it does now is to take head and body parts and making them hard to hit but it doesn't alter the squareness of the strike.  For other parts, it doesn't alter the hit chance but it makes them harder to hit squarely.  Then it is all jiggled for each attack.

Quote from: TKTom
Now that there is a rudimentary AI for aimed attacking: Will it be long before we can order dwarves to capture enemies rather than kill them? i.e have dwarves attempt blunt strikes to the head and then cart off the unconcious foe to an empty cage?

I have no idea on the timetable.  There are several angles on this, between dwarf mode, adv mode justice and adv mode villain interrogations, but I'll probably be doing more simple things first.

Quote from: PermanentInk
If I'm understanding correctly, it seems like unless you specifically choose an aimed shot against an unconscious opponent, it will take just as long to kill them as before.  It would be a useful option to let us use the same automatic target selection for vulnerable opponents that the AI does; if I want to do the same headshot every time, why should I have to go digging through menus to do it

You always use the AI selection whenever you attack the enemy without aiming, so vulnerable opponents are generally dispatched quickly.  If for whatever reason you find it making a poor decision or it's just taking a long time with a fully armored opponent, you can use grappling tricks to remove their armor.

Quote from: OneTwentySix
One of my big issues with caravans is that there really isn't a lot that a caravan can bring that you can't produce yourself, and better.
Item values are also pretty crazy; are you planning on rebalancing any of this?

The forts are set up to be pretty self-sufficient now.  I think they sometimes bring more impressive food and diverse animals, but I think as the trade stuff takes off starting this month, the situation might change a bit.  I'm not sure how it'll play out though.

Fixed item values will probably disappear entirely this month or soon after.

How have fistfights been affected by this change, now that we can box people in the head?

It's a bit more violent and quick, I think.  They need to be tweaked a bit, but I doubt I'll get to it.

Now that we have true type support, is there any chance we could get the default tileset swapped out for a square one?

The true type support isn't complete, so it's not the default setting at this point.  You can always use whatever set you want.

Quote from: piecewise
Do the minotaurs ever come out and kill the helpless peasants? Will there ever be civ relationships between them and neighboring villages (ie, offer up a child every year or something to stop the minotaur from rampaging though town.) Etc.

Just during world gen.  No armies move around yet.  We want to do weird megabeast relationships with communities, but I'm not sure when it'll come up.

Quote from: freeformschooler
at what point is the trader arc planned to come in? As in something non-violent to do for the town -- buying low and selling high on site resources, leading a trader caravan, etc

I don't have a timeline for anything other than what has been announced.  We're doing the backing for the trading arc this month, so we're starting that stuff, but I'm not sure how much impact it'll have on your adventurer.  Certainly the trading values will change based on what's around and what's desired, but you wouldn't likely be doing anything on behalf of anybody.

Quote from: Dante
Are dwarf civ fortresses going to connect up to both underground roads and overground roads? Will they access the cave systems, maybe with guards posted, or even farm in them?

I'm hoping I can handle that when it comes up, yeah.  There used to be crappy tunnel connections and there are still crappy roads, and those will be revisited at some point.

Quote from: freeformschooler
Will there be a raw tag to make a civ able to be wandering raiders, as the goblins are now?
Quote from: Dakk
Do bands of bandits and patrols actualy travel the world map, are they like the encounters in the current version, o do they settle in certain places? Since site leaders are sending you after some, I would assume the first or the latter.
Quote from: Jiharo
Does every civilisation get them? Is it possible to encounter one that is not hostile?
Quote from: kilakan
With the new travel map, how long until we should expect migrating goblin bandits and such, not just direct ambushers but potentially people just passing through like the residual HFS?

Yeah, you have a raw tag to say how many people proportionally get dumped out into bandit groups, and you have a tag to say if local sites will have bandit style patrols.  When we have site resources it might end up a little more based on the situation, but we don't have that information yet.  There are no armies traveling the map yet (except for your abandoned fortress people and a few other weird cases).  These will start with the merchants traveling around this month hopefully, and then continue into December with more army stuff.  The attacks during travel all come from proximity to sites -- it'll pull out some of the regular populations and historical figures (in the case of bandit leaders or night creatures), and then they magically get put back in their sites if they survive.

Quote from: Aqizzar
After reading that story, I'm really curious what elements were "problems" that deserved being "fixed".  It wasn't Skinnyrends the Alligator of Ambition was it?

There's the being able to use the great axe with one hand (not fixed), a problem with the display of the labyrinth symbol (fixed), the alligator thinking that it should start in the keep because it was a site resident (not fixed)...  probably something with the wounds healing that weren't fixed, like my hips, which were really really messed up.  Taking away the guy's knife was clunky, since you still have to grab it and then step away instead of getting an explicit option to fight over it, and that hasn't changed.  I think I fixed a few other minor text things.

Quote from: Aqizzar
It's probably been asked a million times before: Now that individual groups can give up their entity associations, and elven prisoners can hang around castles, it sounds like those connections are a lot more malleable.  How close does that bring the program to multi-species player forts?

Yeah, it's more an interface and random issues thing.  I remember with that elven dwarf queen, it was something like they were treated like a pet part of the time and several other problems.  There are portions of the code that look for speaking people, places that look for learning people, places that look for learning and speaking people, which are all probably sort of reasonable, but then there are the parts that look for your site civ's race, which are where we get into trouble.

Quote from: piecewise
Will there ever be a time when world gen NPC's and/or adventurers start naming their weapons?

It'll probably start in world gen with the treasure hunter section, though there really isn't a reason why you shouldn't be able to name any of your items at any time.

Quote from: Knight Otu
Regarding the quests - does the quest giver only take into account if the target is a (semi)megabeast to determine if you're ready to face it, or also, say, the difficulty tag?

The mega/titan/semi/night creature tags are used for those creatures to sort them into tiers, but it also uses the difficulty tags.  A difficulty greater than 10 means it won't be used for quests, 10 is the top tier, then there is the 5-9 semi megabeast tier, the 2-4 tier for your first castle quest, and the lowest for peasants.  Mega/semi beasts in the raws always go into their proper tier, but it respects the >10 part.  These come up for wilderness predators and underground predators, which come up for burrow quests currently (the burrow thing can be improved later).  The difficulty is also used to determine the hero reputation increase for all creatures.  The mega/semi tags should probably be split into a bunch of things, but I'm not sure when I'll get a good chance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: November 08, 2010, 03:34:39 am »

I'll also ask, are you planning to use creature variations to help with the stock night creature type creatures?
To clarify, let me give an example - the werewolf.
Werewolves may possess a syndrome that allows them to infect on a bite.
This syndrome would trigger a creature variation (possibly even delayed by time), which would add, remove or change tags on the base creature.

This would of course cause them to gain the syndrome causing bite as well.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to use something as broad as a creature variation, at least for things beyond the body.  The ability to have a custom body has been partially supported and unused for a long time, but allowing any tag to be replaced is difficult without creating a new creature definition.

I see. So is adding tags fine, but removing them not currently possible?
I would have thought it would be something like a meta-caste.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 03:44:25 am by Captain Mayday »
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: November 08, 2010, 03:48:05 am »

I'm pretty sure Footkerchief is right. Legends mode doesn't even show (perhaps not even record) what a world-gen historical figure makes its kills with. Attachment and naming only seems to happen in Dwarf mode currently. Depending on how the code works, your adventuring companions might be able to do it, but I believe Toady has said that he doesn't want to dictate how your adventurer feels in most situations, and thus the adventurer shouldn't become attached to weapons or name them. Historical figures naming their weapons seems to be an easy way to introduce world-gen artifacts, though.
It would be nice to have the option to name our weapon in adventure mode after x number of kills. Not force us to, but just give us that opportunity. It would be pretty easy to do I think, just give us the naming screen and we can either press the random button till we find one we like or pick the parts from all the possibilities.
Another option would be to just refluff adventurer-mode item-naming as something that society does and not you -- "Bards now sing legends of your sword, calling it 'glosseramdung!'"  Maybe only a message that you get when completing a quest or something like that.  It could even be a reward.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1782 on: November 08, 2010, 04:25:12 am »

I see. So is adding tags fine, but removing them not currently possible?
I would have thought it would be something like a meta-caste.

We'd probably end up doing werewolves via something like a variation.  It's just sort of annoying to do overall that way, since the tags can be very diverse and you can't always get at their effects reliably.  A subset, hopefully broad, of tags would be available through something like a creature variation, or through a creature variation with some restrictions.

Quote from: Aquillion
Another option would be to just refluff adventurer-mode item-naming as something that society does and not you -- "Bards now sing legends of your sword, calling it 'glosseramdung!'"  Maybe only a message that you get when completing a quest or something like that.  It could even be a reward.

I guess having your enemies do it would also work in that way.  Then you'd have your nickname from the enemies, the name for your weapon, and the name for your distinctive armor, and your ferocious goblin-hunting dog.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: November 08, 2010, 08:23:26 am »

It would be nice to have the option to name our weapon in adventure mode after x number of kills. Not force us to, but just give us that opportunity. It would be pretty easy to do I think, just give us the naming screen and we can either press the random button till we find one we like or pick the parts from all the possibilities.
Naming your items, certainly, but perhaps not while the named items automatically become pseudo-artifacts.

Yeah, you have a raw tag to say how many people proportionally get dumped out into bandit groups, and you have a tag to say if local sites will have bandit style patrols. ... The attacks during travel all come from proximity to sites -- it'll pull out some of the regular populations and historical figures (in the case of bandit leaders or night creatures), and then they magically get put back in their sites if they survive.

The mega/titan/semi/night creature tags are used for those creatures to sort them into tiers, but it also uses the difficulty tags.  A difficulty greater than 10 means it won't be used for quests, 10 is the top tier, then there is the 5-9 semi megabeast tier, the 2-4 tier for your first castle quest, and the lowest for peasants.  Mega/semi beasts in the raws always go into their proper tier, but it respects the >10 part.  These come up for wilderness predators and underground predators, which come up for burrow quests currently (the burrow thing can be improved later).
Oooh, those are just about perfect. :D

From the look of it, patrols also would make the "As you know, we are at war. Kill that or that enemy for us." quests solvable again, but I'm assuming they're out anyway.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: November 08, 2010, 10:31:43 am »

Great devlog post. The more stuff that goes into adventure mode makes fort mode so much more meaningful.

I think DF represents an important lesson to anyone who wants to make games, that the game with the most bugs and broken mechanics can also be the best game ever.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 342