Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562615 times)

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1965 on: November 12, 2010, 10:27:11 am »

Goddammit, the bogeymen are god damned untouchable, the freaking asses.
Seriously, how the heck is their evasion so high?

Their [NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:9] token helps.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1966 on: November 12, 2010, 11:01:32 am »

I got a question regarding the combination of wrestling and aimed attacks in the new release. Does anyone know if it is planned or already implemented that successfully grabbing a body part increases the chance to hit the same part while it is held? So for example I could grap the head of my opponent with my free hand and then have it easier to stab the head or adjacent body parts (throat) with my short sword in the following round.
I asked that exact same thing a few pages back. I'd put it in green if you want it answered.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: November 12, 2010, 11:34:05 am »

I tried it yesterday, I don't think it does.
Shoes...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1968 on: November 12, 2010, 01:59:15 pm »

I tried it yesterday, I don't think it does.
Not now, but eventually is that the plan?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: November 12, 2010, 02:10:33 pm »

Regarding castles, what tags or responsibilities would cause a historical figure to become the lord of a castle if we don't want to use VARIABLE_POSITIONS (whether ALL or CUSTOM_CASTLE_HOLDER)? It seems military responsibilities may be a good bet, as the law givers appear there as well, but that's just a quick assumption.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: November 12, 2010, 02:26:52 pm »

I got a question regarding the combination of wrestling and aimed attacks in the new release. Does anyone know if it is planned or already implemented that successfully grabbing a body part increases the chance to hit the same part while it is held? So for example I could grap the head of my opponent with my free hand and then have it easier to stab the head or adjacent body parts (throat) with my short sword in the following round.
I asked that exact same thing a few pages back. I'd put it in green if you want it answered.

Ive noticed it seems to up overall hit chances and ability to land shots squarely but not anything specific that I have seen...and not by much

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: November 12, 2010, 03:18:59 pm »

Is it just me or do none of the NPC's have families? I've talked to like 10 people and none of them have any family to speak of. Weird. I've only tried people in castles though.

I think they just don't have any historical figures in their families. One Lady in my world told me about her son's death.
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: November 12, 2010, 04:01:10 pm »

Is   it just me or do none of the NPC's have families? I've talked to like   10 people and none of them have any family to speak of. Weird. I've only   tried people in castles though.

I think they just don't have any historical figures in their families. One Lady in my world told me about her son's death.

Yeah, That was mentioned regarding entity populations. All the information about them is pretty much genned when you talk to them. You can make them historical by trying to kill them, though, or by getting them into a party with you..
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 04:03:26 pm by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: November 12, 2010, 04:11:39 pm »

I guess that's why none of them get names 'til you speak to them?
*Hugs*

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: November 12, 2010, 05:45:24 pm »

It seems all settlements apart from human ones are now gone, probably due to the site sprawl not being ready for them. I can't find any fortresses or towers, and no elven settlements at all.
Replace the tag DARK_FORTRESS or TREE_CITY or CAVE_DETAILED for the other races with CITY. That will give them human-like structures and site sprawl. (but don't do this for kobolds, you want those bastards to live in their stone-age caves)
Of course, this will require you to regenerate the world.

Dwarven cities are properly populated with structures made from underground wood types and their shops stock appropriately sized and civ-related materials on the equipment. It's fucking awsome. 8)
The only problem is that you're likely to spawn ON THE MOUNTAIN as a dwarf civ adventurer, which means you'll have to walk to a non-mountain biome to travel AND that there will be no structures because there's no wood types for mountain biomes AND no farms because stone isn't farmable. (so basically, there's nothing if you start on the mountain) Thankfully you can look at the "Q"uest map to determine the shortest escape route from the mountain.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: November 12, 2010, 09:29:06 pm »

The only problem is that you're likely to spawn ON THE MOUNTAIN as a dwarf civ adventurer, which means you'll have to walk to a non-mountain biome to travel AND that there will be no structures because there's no wood types for mountain biomes AND no farms because stone isn't farmable. (so basically, there's nothing if you start on the mountain) Thankfully you can look at the "Q"uest map to determine the shortest escape route from the mountain.

Really? For me, I've been starting in human villages as a dwarf adventurer. And it isn't just a display bug. If I start attacking them, they become enemies of my home civ, and I become enemies of their civ. Normally you'd just become an enemy of your own home civ.

And yes, as my last two posts suggest, I do often make adventurers just to slaughter my own starting town right when I spawn, or at least see how far I go in the attempt. 31.17 citizens are really tough, especially peasants with their bronze carving knives. My best is 5 citizens, which I only got on demigod by standing outside of a doorway to keep them from swarming me.

Also, these human villages tend to be in very mountainous areas, with maybe one bedless dormitory per plateau area, and a good 10 to 20 z-level difference from top to bottom.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:31:13 pm by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: November 12, 2010, 09:50:37 pm »

Really? For me, I've been starting in human villages as a dwarf adventurer. And it isn't just a display bug. If I start attacking them, they become enemies of my home civ, and I become enemies of their civ. Normally you'd just become an enemy of your own home civ.

He meant if you modded it as he previously stated.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: November 12, 2010, 10:02:46 pm »

He meant if you modded it as he previously stated.

Oh, right. Sorry, I missed that. Long day, I guess.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: November 12, 2010, 10:47:30 pm »

Eh, what happens if you use an adventurer to make your dwarf civ the enemy of a human civ, then quit and start a fortress that is part of that dwarf civ?  IIRC to get a human siege the two civs have to be at war with each other, but would this make that possible?  Does this kind of political status change after worldgen history?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: November 12, 2010, 11:47:57 pm »

Playing as a hammerer, I bashed the hydra in the guts. The Hydra Vomited. Do Hydra's vomit from all of their heads at once, or is it just one head and the other heads continue to do their thing?

Generally speaking, this release has piqued my interest into the workings of the Hydra.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 342