Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562617 times)

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1980 on: November 13, 2010, 12:40:45 am »

My first questions for the all mighty Toad.

Will there be a way to give items to our companions? And perhaps an easier way to equip weapons? (Just had to wiki it.)

Have Lashers been fixed in this release? I seem to remember people talking about Lashers demolishing things, but the Lashers I pick up just chip the bone...over...and over...and over again.

Simple questions, nothing groundbreaking.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: November 13, 2010, 03:54:33 am »

Playing as a hammerer, I bashed the hydra in the guts. The Hydra Vomited. Do Hydra's vomit from all of their heads at once, or is it just one head and the other heads continue to do their thing?

I shall sig this, if you don't mind. It perfectly reflects what's happening around this forum.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: November 13, 2010, 04:46:41 am »

Playing as a hammerer, I bashed the hydra in the guts. The Hydra Vomited. Do Hydra's vomit from all of their heads at once, or is it just one head and the other heads continue to do their thing?
I'd have thought the easiest way to find out would be to 'l'ook at the Hydra just after the expulsion and see which heads are covered in vomit.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: November 13, 2010, 05:00:30 am »

I'd have thought the easiest way to find out would be to 'l'ook at the Hydra just after the expulsion and see which heads are covered in vomit.

You wouldn't cover the case where one head vomits all over other heads. I'm pretty sure DF lacks a decent vomit physics engine.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: November 13, 2010, 05:13:24 am »

Is it just me, or are goblins having a real problem snatching children in history right now (they do it just fine in fort mode, as some newly-migrated couple with child had to find the hard way before they even entered my fort proper)? Looking through the sites of a few generated worlds, most non-empty dark fortresses - even those "owned" by non-goblin civilisations through conquest - have only goblin inhabitants, with the occasional boss demon here and there. In five worlds, I had one dark fortress with one human in it. That's it. Might be just me being a bit unlucky though ...

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: November 13, 2010, 06:34:14 am »

Toady, bit of a tangent here but do you have any plans to look at worldgen battles again any time soon? Seems to me there's a weird skew towards the defender winning.
For example, utilising my modded in avari race, the following battle occurred:
A: 1243 Avari, 7 losses
D: 714 Elves, 228 Grizzly Bears, 879 losses.
Defender was victorious.

The battle didn't take place in a defended structure, so I'm not certain why they'd be judged as victors.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: November 13, 2010, 09:12:36 am »

Glad to see some input on the blog from Threetoe; Toady's posts are entertaining to read, but his prose can be a bit clinical. Plus, it's cool to see some posts by the other half of the dev team.
[EDIT]: In regards to Mayday's post, the defender was victorious because they held their position, and the attacker retreated. Not sure if you're objecting to that, or to the fact that the elves didn't retreat, but I don't see anything necessarily wrong with a Pyrrhic victory like that.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 09:17:47 am by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: November 13, 2010, 09:20:25 am »

Eggs we get eggs! Heck eggs! How are you planning to do them? I mean just outline how they work internally? And sheep with wool which means we get shearing and maybe haircuts. hehe and maybe wagons can become travelling shops  :D

edit: Can we get wabbits and bunnys too? These little buggers arent as nasty as boars and stuff and deliver a small amount of pelts.   
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:24:41 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: November 13, 2010, 09:28:16 am »

Glad to see some input on the blog from Threetoe; Toady's posts are entertaining to read, but his prose can be a bit clinical. Plus, it's cool to see some posts by the other half of the dev team.
[EDIT]: In regards to Mayday's post, the defender was victorious because they held their position, and the attacker retreated. Not sure if you're objecting to that, or to the fact that the elves didn't retreat, but I don't see anything necessarily wrong with a Pyrrhic victory like that.

Are you suggesting that a mixture of 63 bears and elves would deter an army of over 1200 enemies who have already all but won? Or that the Elves constructed an unassailable wall from the corpses of their compatriots? Possibly the Avari merely grew bored with killing bears and Elves and went home?
As I already noted, the Elves didn't have any defenses present, it was mainly a battle in an open field. I can see the Elves fleeing, hiding away amongst the bodies, or being completely wiped out, but I think 'victory' is a bit of a stretch there.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: November 13, 2010, 09:57:21 am »

I have found remains of humans in quest critter lairs which have obviously been turned into prepared food. In combination with the you-better-bury-em stuff, the following question came to my mind.

Will there be quests to retrieve at least one body part of a member of a community who was abducted and killed by a night creature to allow a proper burial?

Would be cool if you could do this for previous adventurer too.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1990 on: November 13, 2010, 10:09:02 am »

I noticed something with the targeting system. There seem to be these things like 'opportunity shots' that are marked with a blue '!'. How are these decided over turns? Is it random, or do you send a certain algorithm depending on the situation?

Also, the bogeymen's dodging skill is a bit absurd. Are you considering to lower it a little bit in the next few releases?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: November 13, 2010, 10:11:41 am »

I'm a little late to the bat, but it is exciting to see Threetoe's input on the new adventure mode. I've always had a soft spot for resource-trading games, and having the option to run a non-violent caravan for supply&demand and for the sake of making money would be amazing.
HYPE HYPE HYPE
In other news, are stables planned to be implemented in the next release? Going in adventure mode and saving up enough to buy/rent a horse would be pretty cool.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1992 on: November 13, 2010, 10:27:05 am »

Oof i forgot.
When are you planning to turn hunger and thirst back on?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: November 13, 2010, 10:52:04 am »

I'm not sure there's much of a need to. Hunting is easy, and there are rivers everywhere. Making the player stop every few world tiles to eat or drink would be kinda silly.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: November 13, 2010, 10:57:12 am »

Ah, the caravan arc. Been looking forward to this stuff ever since I started playing!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 342