Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551686 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2235 on: November 24, 2010, 01:53:07 am »

Well, the question has already been asked and answered before.

The goal, is for you to have offsite resources for your fort, be able to send your army off screen, and for a new screen to be used when the fort army encounters anything FUN.

So, something like that is on the eternal to-do list, and on the current dev page I believe.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2236 on: November 24, 2010, 02:40:47 am »

Toady has yet to figure out a way to make non-creature stuff able to move, and a way to make multi tile creatures.
And when dragons and colossi take 4-8 squares, they can't path through narrow corridors and Finally they'll escape Cage Traps!
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: November 24, 2010, 02:49:59 am »

Toady has yet to figure out a way to make non-creature stuff able to move, and a way to make multi tile creatures.
  A reminder; Toady did learn things from creating the monstrosities know as wagons, and the reason he has not completely figured out such things is because he hasn't had the time. That stuff is still at least a month or two from now.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: November 24, 2010, 04:36:24 am »

A reminder; Toady did learn things from creating the monstrosities know as wagons, and the reason he has not completely figured out such things is because he hasn't had the time. That stuff is still at least a month or two from now.
Yeah, as has been pointed out many times before, multi-tile creatures open up a family-sized can of worms in general, with pathing, corners, determining scale, item location, limb location, etc etc.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: November 24, 2010, 04:43:32 am »

Well, dragons, titans, and such are not what the systems base will be made to handle. It's the fixed wagons that will be sometime during this arc, then siege engines next arc. Hm, will the multi-tile work you do during these two arcs lay the foundation for giant creatures expanding into more tiles?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: November 24, 2010, 09:44:23 am »

hmm... wagons.
will there be inertia?

eg.
Code: [Select]
ww
 ww    ww
/  \   ww    ww 
H  H   | \   ww    ww
       H H    \ \  ww_H  ww /H      H
               H H  \H    ww_H   ww/   ww/H  ww/H
                                 ww_H  ww\H  ww\H

I think I'd try a combined vector approach and a formation-like approach where it comes to AI.
i.e. Draft animal direction dependent on will of animal caretaker/driver. when driver lacking preferably remain stationary... unless spooked.
Wagon movement as function of averaged vector of number of draft animals. wagon could have a residual vector according to movement in previous tick and possibly also a gravity vector when partially on ramps.
Will you try something like that or will wagon-and-horses be a single formation that moves like a single entity?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: November 24, 2010, 10:19:06 am »

Yeah, I probably shouldn't try to ask questions when sleep deprived. :P

As far as brainstorming for ideas, prehaps the Dwarves in the army could act as "scouts". After they leave the familiar embarked upon land visibility starts to drop: you can only look so far off into the distance (or behind you, of course). Your fortress itself could also be able to expand (by building outposts or claiming new land), allowing for larger projects like collosal bridges or continent reformation via miners.

I could see something like this helping balance the army (no seeing a Goblin army from halfway accross the world) and allowing larger fortress expansions. And eing able to give Elves the gift of magma from across the continent is !FUN! too, of course.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:22:16 am by NSQuote »

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: November 24, 2010, 01:17:10 pm »

If mining is in for worldgen, will worldgen mines potentially awaken Forgotten Beasts... or worse?  And will we be able to eventually enter and explore these mines?
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: November 24, 2010, 01:20:37 pm »

hmm... wagons.
will there be inertia?

eg.
Code: [Select]
ww
 ww    ww
/  \   ww    ww 
H  H   | \   ww    ww
       H H    \ \  ww_H  ww /H      H
               H H  \H    ww_H   ww/   ww/H  ww/H
                                 ww_H  ww\H  ww\H

I think I'd try a combined vector approach and a formation-like approach where it comes to AI.
i.e. Draft animal direction dependent on will of animal caretaker/driver. when driver lacking preferably remain stationary... unless spooked.
Wagon movement as function of averaged vector of number of draft animals. wagon could have a residual vector according to movement in previous tick and possibly also a gravity vector when partially on ramps.
Will you try something like that or will wagon-and-horses be a single formation that moves like a single entity?

I think this would be perfectly uncombinable with the pathing functionality.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: November 24, 2010, 01:53:53 pm »

If mining is in for worldgen, will worldgen mines potentially awaken Forgotten Beasts... or worse?  And will we be able to eventually enter and explore these mines?

Good idea! Mines should be explorable locations generated in world gen, as it is  common place in the genre.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: November 24, 2010, 02:42:41 pm »

Re inertia, I was imagining critter riding working kinda like that.  When you're on a horse, say, you see yourself and then you see this X that always has the same position relative to you.  On your turn, instead of moving yourself, you move the relative position of the X, and your mount (on its turn) moves a certain percentage of the distance to the X.

So you can go really fast (move the X a long distance from you) but it'll take several rounds to bring the X back to center to stop.  Same with turning, easy when you're going slow, but takes more space when going fast.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: November 24, 2010, 03:06:20 pm »

Hot damn! Site finder improvements! Woo hoo.

How does Toady manage to make every dev log so bloody tantalising?
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: November 24, 2010, 04:34:58 pm »

@Sowelu. Kind of like space flight in Ascii Sector? Cause I think that'd be a good idea too.
*Hugs*

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: November 24, 2010, 05:20:54 pm »

hmm... wagons.
will there be inertia?
At the very least, it's on the dev page regarding mounts. I think one of the DF talks did talk about the problems with combining inertia and pathfinding also.
# Mounts

* Can buy them as with livestock, handled as with livestock
    * Movement speeds, turning and inertia
    * Combat effects (velocity addition, body part selection, trampling)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: November 24, 2010, 06:57:58 pm »

Rarer metals, huh? I hope they're not TOO rare. I honestly couldn't handle a military wearing nothing but bone and leather.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 342