Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551665 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2310 on: November 30, 2010, 02:49:51 pm »

The prospects of the next update are making me salivate slightly.
*Hugs*

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: November 30, 2010, 05:51:44 pm »

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high if I were you; the next release involves a major change to the architecture of the game, so it's probably gonna have the bare minimum of features required to lay the groundwork for future development, while allowing the community to help iron out the (likely numerous) bugs.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: November 30, 2010, 05:54:06 pm »

Only?

Have you planned further limiting the availability of plate armour? As far as I know, it is not 'one size fits all' equipment. So if we wanted to commission a set to our measurements, it'd cost a lot and take (a lot) of time make. Adventure mode in particular would benefit, fortress mode perhaps less so.

How about proper shield damage to make them less reusable? This is possibly coming with item damage though.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: November 30, 2010, 05:55:07 pm »

One thing that concerns me with trading becoming a more integral part of a stable fortress is my front gate.

<..>

the traders ask for entrance, and if you agree, you have an ingame day-long period to open your gates before they get pissed off and leave. The current "oh we saw your gates were shut from the other side of the valley yonder, so we didn't bother coming" situation does not make much sense IMO. Of course my gates were shut, that is what gates are for. Shutting.

With the new more important caravans, will we be able to keep our doors closed most of the year, and get a grace period for opening up when the caravans arrive on the edge of the map? This would allow more security whilst minimising lost trade opportunities.

+1
seconded.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: November 30, 2010, 05:58:01 pm »

You guys realize you're asking for something that's already in the game, right? If the caravans arrive and don't have access to the depot they'll wait around a little bit. It's been like this for a long time.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: November 30, 2010, 06:01:32 pm »

The part on horses and mules yes, but the main part of the caravan, the wagons, will simply ignore you and never enter your map. This was this way when I last played fortress mode (which has been a while) but given some people's reaction, it doesn't seem to have changed.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: November 30, 2010, 07:18:06 pm »

Only?

How about proper shield damage to make them less reusable? This is possibly coming with item damage though.

Item degradation has been spoken by the almighty Toad, for things likes weapons and armor. We see item wear for clothing, but not for tools in Fort mode. So something along those lines is planned.

Have you planned further limiting the availability of plate armour? As far as I know, it is not 'one size fits all' equipment. So if we wanted to commission a set to our measurements, it'd cost a lot and take (a lot) of time make. Adventure mode in particular would benefit, fortress mode perhaps less so.

I bet that would be weird to do so. Even though every creature has a unique volume and mass, but displaying that information in either mode would be awkward and for fort & adventure mode make would make it harder to get arms and equipment for your character. There is a fair bit of micro'ing in Fort mode for equipping the military. Then we have to worry about the volume of the individual dorf. @,@  I hope this is where gameplay overrides realism.

(I know in 40d, that size difference between elfs, human and dorf were psedo respected, but that system is gone.)
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: November 30, 2010, 07:36:57 pm »

Making clothing size requirements more stringent is iffy:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg994813;topicseen#msg994813
Quote from: Toady One
having to size clothing for different dwarves [...] is a nightmare

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg698450;topicseen#msg698450
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: ArkDelgato
Will there ever be size differentiation for clothes?

There might be size differentiation for clothes later, but only when we can handle it without it being a total nightmare for the player.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: November 30, 2010, 07:45:30 pm »

Only?

Item degradation has been spoken by the almighty Toad, for things likes weapons and armor. We see item wear for clothing, but not for tools in Fort mode. So something along those lines is planned.

I bet that would be weird to do so. Even though every creature has a unique volume and mass, but displaying that information in either mode would be awkward and for fort & adventure mode make would make it harder to get arms and equipment for your character. There is a fair bit of micro'ing in Fort mode for equipping the military. Then we have to worry about the volume of the individual dorf. @,@  I hope this is where gameplay overrides realism.

(I know in 40d, that size difference between elfs, human and dorf were psedo respected, but that system is gone.)
There is a middle ground, There are dwarfs who are "large for a dwarf" and maybe they could wear armor for a small human.
I would like to see the char flavor text translate to more things in game
Thank you based dwarf.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: November 30, 2010, 07:53:28 pm »

It does translate into more things. I've heard of some dwarves being large enough to handle weapons with one hand that most dwarves need two for, and that sort of thing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: November 30, 2010, 08:14:25 pm »

It does translate into more things. I've heard of some dwarves being large enough to handle weapons with one hand that most dwarves need two for, and that sort of thing.

Or only some of them being big enough to handle it at all (usually halberds).

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: November 30, 2010, 11:34:38 pm »

To get this effect without making an insane nightmare of clothes not fitting anyone, there could be "custom-fitted" gear. This would provide some benefit, or gear that is not custom-fitted could provide some penalty - perhaps interacting with speed reduction.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: December 01, 2010, 02:07:48 am »

To get this effect without making an insane nightmare of clothes not fitting anyone, there could be "custom-fitted" gear. This would provide some benefit, or gear that is not custom-fitted could provide some penalty - perhaps interacting with speed reduction.

Another one: it being harder to remove via wrestling.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: December 01, 2010, 04:23:16 am »

Individual fitted armour may be cool as a quality or special property modifier, not so much as a basic requirement of worn items.

Species or bodytype specific armour might be a tasty expansion on the sizes as they are currently.
(centaur heavy armour, spiderman armour etc)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: December 01, 2010, 09:59:58 am »

Individual fitted armour may be cool as a quality or special property modifier, not so much as a basic requirement of worn items.

Species or bodytype specific armour might be a tasty expansion on the sizes as they are currently.
(centaur heavy armour, spiderman armour etc)

Well wearing non fitted armor could just reduce mobility when wearing off-sized armor.
Thank you based dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 342