Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551739 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2355 on: December 02, 2010, 08:49:36 am »

The best part is iirc. every bird egg is eat-able for humans. Well atleast i enjoy some Duck-eggs once in a while because they have more of the yellow stuff.

edit: Wait a sec what would happen if we get a giant toad to hetch a chicken egg?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:52:18 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: December 02, 2010, 09:13:46 am »

You need a rooster egg for anything bad to happen.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: December 02, 2010, 09:19:35 am »

So, just to clarify;

Quote from: ThreeToe
Perhaps more exciting is the soon to be added raws for domestic animals and other raw materials.  This means your dwarves will be able to collect eggs, shear sheep, and make clay pots.  New underground plants will be pressed for oil used for cooking and soap.

To build on Quatch's earlier question, does this mean that we will be able to collect clay like sand? If so, how raw-definable is this collectability? E.g. would I be able to add the ability to collect an entirely new resource (say, peat, or sea salt), or is it just clay mining being added?

The best part is iirc. every bird egg is eat-able for humans. Well atleast i enjoy some Duck-eggs once in a while because they have more of the yellow stuff.

edit: Wait a sec what would happen if we get a giant toad to hetch a chicken egg?
Since we don't have petrification effects yet, it wouldn't be much of a cockatrice even if it did hatch.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: December 02, 2010, 09:41:42 am »

Well we have pretty strong paralyses poisons. It would just need to be some kind of "Gaze" attack to inject it.

Turning one material into another exists for NCs atm so a basilisk could employ a instant version of that that kills the dwarf at the same time. Bonuspoints if it leaves a statue.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: December 02, 2010, 02:23:33 pm »

Chicken and turkeys are great too. Finally we have meat that tastes like alligator.
At first I thought this was a weird way of phrasing it, but then I realised crocodillians have been around a lot longer than poultry, and therefore were first to taste like that. So good on Heph for knowing paleontology.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: December 02, 2010, 03:42:52 pm »

Well we see other minable things, like salt anytime soon?

Toady has expressed support for it in the past, in a Suggestions thread about salt mines:

Halite mines in mountain sides seem reasonably common.  The stuff has had a long time to be moved around.  Still, it doesn't have to be in every mountain.  Most rocks/gems/metals shouldn't be in most mountains in any case.

Will civs Have mining operations that present themselves as physical locations?

This was asked a few pages back:

If mining is in for worldgen, will worldgen mines potentially awaken Forgotten Beasts... or worse?  And will we be able to eventually enter and explore these mines?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: December 02, 2010, 06:15:49 pm »

Hey Footkerchief,

Has things calm down at the bug tracker? It seems like there was a noticeable gap when you stopped being the human search function. Or are the two things unrelated?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:10:47 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: December 02, 2010, 09:09:54 pm »

Things have been gradually calming down at the tracker since April, but I was absent mostly because of IRL stuff.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: December 02, 2010, 09:12:41 pm »

Things have been gradually calming down at the tracker since April, but I was absent mostly because of IRL stuff.
Its nice to have ya active on the forum again. *nods* Search function or not.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: December 03, 2010, 12:53:16 am »

Have you planned further limiting the availability of plate armour? As far as I know, it is not 'one size fits all' equipment. So if we wanted to commission a set to our measurements, it'd cost a lot and take (a lot) of time make. Adventure mode in particular would benefit, fortress mode perhaps less so.
To get this effect without making an insane nightmare of clothes not fitting anyone, there could be "custom-fitted" gear. This would provide some benefit, or gear that is not custom-fitted could provide some penalty - perhaps interacting with speed reduction.

Custom armor would be nice, I wouldn't penalize regular armor, Just buff personal armor.  Say a coverage bonus, and ease of use(+speed/higher agility rolls).  And the armor should be restricted to the person it is made for, and should be buried with the individual if possible.  Looters should be able to equip but have penalties, say Coverage penalty and speed/agility penalty.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:08:57 am by nordak »
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: December 03, 2010, 02:23:57 am »

Not scarcity, but supply and demand.

Yes, there's always been scarcity, it just never had any effect on prices.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: December 03, 2010, 03:03:19 am »

@custom fitted armour: I suggest generic armour, but with a flag for being fitted.
(having whatever benefits)
Having this applied to worn armour as a 'spell' or alchemical reaction by the quartermaster would give this person a role besides the artificial inability to equip in bigger fortresses.

clothiers could perform a similar function for clothing.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: December 03, 2010, 04:29:47 am »

I notice some of the trade routes go over water. Will there be some kind of sea travel anytime soon?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: December 03, 2010, 04:40:22 am »

I assume roads will be effected by trade routs, right?

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: December 03, 2010, 04:54:40 am »

I notice some of the trade routes go over water. Will there be some kind of sea travel anytime soon?

This is pretty much a given.  It'd probably be easy enough to fudge some numbers in world gen to get world gen "trade boats", what we don't know is how boats would work in Dwarf/Adventure mode.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 342