Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551589 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2445 on: December 06, 2010, 05:30:03 am »

I wonder what would happen if we were to build a wall across multiple embarks, blocking off a trade rout - would the traders and their pack animals get to the wall and freak out, doing that weird crawl thing they do whenever they get attacked at your depot?

Because that would be freaking hilarious.
Or use it to demand a toll

I can see it now: A dragon which leads ahuman civ blocks a road to demand 7 virgins per caravan coming through. To be fair i would do that too - i mean someone has to clean the lair right?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: December 06, 2010, 10:11:58 am »

A question about the development of supply and demand in the caravan arc: will there variable currency values and systems?
Currently, the money is all the same, just usable in different places. In the future, might the value of a civilization's currency depend on the state of it relative to the seller? For instance, money from a very far away place the seller rarely trades with would be worth less than normal, those from a collapsed civilization would only be worth the material it's made of, and money from a civilization that collapsed hundreds of years ago would cease functioning like currency and be valued as an artifact.
For that matter, would they ever have different value systems instead of the same copper/silver/gold currency system.
I think not, variable currencies are a modern economic issue, linked to the amount of gold and less traditional valuables backing the economy of the coin. (etc)
In the setting of roman-greko economics, currency was worth it's weight litterally.
pureness of the metals used had to be determined offcourse, and a nation with a bad reputation for using adulterated gold in its coin could find its coin rejected by experienced traders/moneyexchangers.
As we are unable to use anything less than pure metals and allloys, this is a moot point. for now.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:39:45 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: December 06, 2010, 12:05:04 pm »

I didn't want to use a dollar sign next to the numbers, and the yellow turtle seemed bright and shiny.
I've always referred to the dwarven unit of currency as the Shiny. 100 Shinys for a pigtail sock etc.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: December 06, 2010, 12:10:25 pm »

That's totally my new word for it ^w^
*Hugs*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: December 06, 2010, 02:47:41 pm »

Oddly enough there is a unit of currency in real life called a Shinnie or something like that...

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #2450 on: December 06, 2010, 03:46:14 pm »

The fact that metal seems to be somewhat more uncommon than currently left me a bit concerned about picking a good site (which already is a pain!). I wonder if different metal distributions could be used for each cavern layer, so it'd get more abundant the deeper it gets, and then civs could be limited to not being able to dig too deep (duw to low engineering hability) when it is working out the economy. Also another thing I wonder is if traders will bring more significant ammounts of metal bars when you ask, lest a bad sited fortress run into lack of metal (the horror!)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2451 on: December 06, 2010, 04:08:52 pm »

Historically there were surface metals available in europe, but those all got mined out. Non renewable resource thing.

This could lead to easy access to metal shortly after refining techniques with a huge collapse when all of the surface/shallow pit accessible ore is used up. Fun times.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: December 06, 2010, 05:55:51 pm »

On the other hand went some good deposits unused because there was not enough fuel thus charcoal to smelt the ore. The romans did just deforest half of the Continent.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

The Minister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: December 06, 2010, 08:42:12 pm »

A few questions for Toad the Almighty:

1) Will we get a return to differentiated sites for different civilizations next release?  E.g. human towns being different from dwarven fortresses and goblin towers? 

2) With the caravan arc starting, will towns have workshops corresponding to the professions of their citizens?

3) Will adventurers be able to build and use workshops so as to interact with the economy any time soon? 

Thanks in advance Toady, your willingness to answer questions is amazing.
McDoomhammer: DF is the best thing after sex.
Krash: Blasphemy!!11
thvaz: Why blasphemy?  Sex followed by DF sounds like a good afternoon to me.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: December 07, 2010, 02:03:39 am »

I don't think that any of those are going to be in the next release. Certainly not the third one (not in the next release, anyway), probably not the first one, slight possibility of the second.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2455 on: December 07, 2010, 05:58:53 am »

I didn't want to use a dollar sign next to the numbers, and the yellow turtle seemed bright and shiny.
I've always referred to the dwarven unit of currency as the Shiny. 100 Shinys for a pigtail sock etc.

From what I've gathered, one dwarf coin is about the equivalent of one Euro (€):
lowest quality stone mug: 10 €, elite handcrafted granite mug 120 €
nice stone +amulet+ 30€
good steel weapon: 1000 €, elite high-grade steel katana: 6000 €
pile of totally awesome meals: 1600-6000 € (30-60€ per meal like in fine restaurant)

and clothes are really expensive because they're all hand-woven and hand-crafted. Leather skips the weaving step so it's cheaper.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: December 07, 2010, 06:02:06 am »

damn, mugs must be expensive where you are.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: December 07, 2010, 06:15:31 am »

Well if i get the figures right equal 50€ roughly a gold coin in medieval times. For df currency i would think 1 € equals 10 Shinys.

Proud to be a Furry.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: December 07, 2010, 08:59:33 am »

Just use ☼ =|
(for windows XP users, ALT+15)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: December 07, 2010, 05:30:50 pm »

From 1.4 years ago...
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Areyar
Maybe kids will also play with toys to train their dexterity/ smarts/ etc depending on toy and have a preference for a certain toy type?
 Will dwarves be temporarily claiming or buying the instruments and such they desire/require for playing at a party?
 Music at a meetingplace party, will give additional happythought (dep. on quality of music) layer?
Yeah, we've wanted kids to play with toys forever, but never found the time.  Still not sure we will, he he he, but certainly having a kid bring a toy to a party would be a start.

I haven't planned out specifically how music will work.  I'm not guaranteed to even get to it, but I imagine they'll just be able to claim an instrument if there's one sitting around, as there's no point wallowing in the economy for now.  I put in some invisible skills for music a while ago, so the playing of the music would very likely have an impact on all of the party-goers.

Is there point in wallowing in the economy now? Will time be found soon for toys?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 342