Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562821 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3630 on: February 16, 2011, 10:20:34 am »

I love troll-wool ... and troll wool is freaking great.

I don't think I ever envisioned trolls having yarnable hair.  Or any hair.  But what the heck, can captured animals be shorn?

I'm just hoping this doesn't mean that those one to two weeks will be the entirety of the bug-fixing. I was under the impression a more thorough effort was planned for the near future, and I hope that's still the case, since the game could really use some cleaning up in a few areas before moving on to new ones.

Yes, I really can't wait to see the economics in all their glory.  Have to go fishin' for some bugs now...
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: February 16, 2011, 10:22:11 am »

Now that there's a new release, we can talk about that instead!
*screams of joy heard throughout the land*
Quote from: Download Page
Animals can be placed in pen/pasture zones, and grazing animals will need to graze on grass
Cool! Now to get rid of those pesky...
This is the first release of what we once called the Caravan Arc, where we'll be changing how trade and the economy work. The entire release schedule is up at the development page. This particular release doesn't have visible changes to trade -- just a lot of world generation infrastructure.
'Tis Cool.
You can mill rocknuts into paste and press the paste for oil (which goes into jugs). Pressing occurs at the new screw press building.
Oil! Does it do anything?
*Ceramics*
Oh goodie!
The site finder records the best hit in each square now, and you can stop the finder at any time and browse the results. The categories and readout have been changed up a bit. Minerals have been redistributed on the world map, though this might not be satisfying as I was expecting to get a bit farther with dwarf mode trade.
Hell yeah! This will probably be fairly popular.
The evil grasses are probably a little extreme and seizure-inducing. I might throttle that back.
OH YEAH! that will be Hilarious!
I'm starting the first one to two week bug fix cycle now, so there weren't a lot of bug fixes for this release, but creatures, items and vegetation don't pick up as many contaminants now.
Hmmm... less contaminants are good, bugfixes are good. I think it's not just game-breaking bugs, but also contaminants, maybe even stacking.
For a list of the new tags available for modding (container reagents in reactions, etc.) see file_changes.txt or the new stock reactions.
Thank you so much! This will be great!

In short:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: February 16, 2011, 10:31:31 am »

Oh god. The staring eyeball-grass blinks. And the wormy tendril grass squirms.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3633 on: February 16, 2011, 10:33:48 am »

I'm starting the first one to two week bug fix cycle now, so there weren't a lot of bug fixes for this release, but creatures, items and vegetation don't pick up as many contaminants now.

I'm just hoping this doesn't mean that those one to two weeks will be the entirety of the bug-fixing. I was under the impression a more thorough effort was planned for the near future, and I hope that's still the case, since the game could really use some cleaning up in a few areas before moving on to new ones.
The key word here is 'cycle' which means that Toady tackles some bugs first for about a week or longer and then adds new features, repeat*9.

So don't worry.

(Though I find it interesting that this is the 3rd time I had to explain this, I know Toady is no master of eloquence, but I didn't think his posts were that difficult to understand.)

Oh well... *skadiddles off to download new release*
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: February 16, 2011, 10:34:40 am »

Huh. I just realized something.

With eyeball grass made out of eye tissue, and wormy grass made out of muscle tissue, how is it that cows and such are supposed to eat them? Assuming they actually can.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: February 16, 2011, 10:43:53 am »

I'm with Capntastic on this. Suggestions forum only exist everywhere on game fora because regardless if the developers will read and use them or not, people will feel entitled to make them anyway. The "suggestions forum" is there so they don''t clutter the rest of the fora with their self-entitled right to make suggestions.

There should be a super-secret-double-suggestions forum for them, where they can huddle together and stew in their snide superiority, leaving the escaped lunatics to their fun :P

And this is exactly the problem I'm talking about.

Someone who likes DF, and wants to try to help make the game better tries to make a suggestion?  No, no such thing exists, they're just self-entitled assholes who are only making suggestions because they want to flaunt their ego.

No, there's nothing that can be done to make the suggestions forum or process become any more smooth, effective, or beneficial to Toady or the development process, we should just insult anyone who even tries until nobody even wants to participate anymore.

We're just going to accept this defeatism? 

I actually really do like this community, and think it has quite a few very intelligent people who have some great ideas and some of the really specialized niche knowledge bases that can really flesh out some parts of the game.

Beyond that, it's worth having a serious discussion about the forums - They're not getting smaller.  Not unless Toady actually wants to start driving players off, or just stagnates in development for a very long period of time until players lose interest, neither of which we should really want.  (Especially if this project stays funded by donations - not everyone is going to make yearly donations of the same amount every year.  In order to keep the money coming in at a rate capable of supporting Toady, it means he needs an influx of new players.)

That means that if it's difficult for them to moderate these forums and juggle everything else to do with this game now, it's only going to get worse as time goes on.

He's not going to make this open source and accept a collaborative coding project, so why can't the community itself help with some of the other jobs?

guh, quintuple ninjad...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

DStecks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: February 16, 2011, 10:50:08 am »

snip

Geez you can get defensive. Like, holy cow, you don't need to write an essay every time you feel slighted. This is at least the third time I've seen you do this. Calm down.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: February 16, 2011, 11:01:45 am »

Hahaha.

Looking at the raws for giraffes:
  • They don't have long necks.
  • Their head horns appear identical in type and proportion to, say, the horns of a yak or bull.
  • Speaking of proportions, the fact that giraffes are so big probably means they have gigantic heads as well, but I'm not sure because I didn't pay much attention to the animal's size.

So yeah, our "giraffes" are basically just regular old ruminant animals. But with a different name, I guess!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: February 16, 2011, 11:17:08 am »

Beyond that, it's worth having a serious discussion about the forums

In another thread, please.

Calm down.

This too.

Hahaha.

Looking at the raws for giraffes:
  • They don't have long necks.
  • Their head horns appear identical in type and proportion to, say, the horns of a yak or bull.
  • Speaking of proportions, the fact that giraffes are so big probably means they have gigantic heads as well, but I'm not sure because I didn't pay much attention to the animal's size.

So yeah, our "giraffes" are basically just regular old ruminant animals. But with a different name, I guess!

Man, that's pretty bad.  I was hoping the donation drive animals would be a little more carefully implemented.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: February 16, 2011, 11:19:25 am »

To be honest, I don't think you can give giraffes long necks. Not without problems.

Think about it: DF has no particular way to represent a body part being long and thin. You can make a giraffe's neck larger relative to body size, but that would effectively also make it extremely thick, wouldn't it?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: February 16, 2011, 11:22:34 am »

To be honest, I don't think you can give giraffes long necks. Not without problems.

Think about it: DF has no particular way to represent a body part being long and thin. You can make a giraffe's neck larger relative to body size, but that would effectively also make it extremely thick, wouldn't it?

Body parts are basically all big spheres or cubes or something, yeah, but at least it would be more likely to get hit.  And impossible to cut through, I guess.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: February 16, 2011, 11:25:32 am »

snip

Geez you can get defensive. Like, holy cow, you don't need to write an essay every time you feel slighted. This is at least the third time I've seen you do this. Calm down.

Oh, he does that all the time, but as Footkerchief stated, this is not the place to discuss this. Anyway, now I'm wondering... will the town revamp starting with the next release finally give us elf/dwarf settlements with actual elves & dwarves?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: February 16, 2011, 11:26:29 am »

Body parts are basically all big spheres or cubes or something, yeah, but at least it would be more likely to get hit.  And impossible to cut through, I guess.

Yeah. I find it a little ironic that we were pretty much just introduced to the new creature body system and it's already running into brick walls even with totally mundane animals.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: February 16, 2011, 11:36:28 am »

So I noticed we can embark with bunnies now... How long until war !!bunnies!!? Or a fortress that completely lives off eating and butchering bunnies.
Blargh.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: February 16, 2011, 11:38:02 am »

Holy shit. Toady's a genius.

He made help come up on the starting screen! Haven't checked fort mode yet.

So I noticed we can embark with bunnies now... How long until war !!bunnies!!? Or a fortress that completely lives off eating and butchering bunnies.
You can easily mod them to be war bunnies. just make them "trainable" in the raws ;)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 342