Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551599 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3675 on: February 16, 2011, 06:02:45 pm »

Reference: Evil grass being seizure-inducing: Is that a comment on the default display values for said grass, or is there a syndrome now associated with some ground cover?

The former, judging by the raws.  They don't cause any syndrome, but tendrils do have an alt-tile thing going on so that they "writhe."

The evil and below-ground grasses are pretty colorful too, so you get wacky rainbow stuff going on.

Also, some people have noticed some really obvious square blocking with grass growth... not the normal kind of obvious, but the extreme kind. 16x16 squares and that sort of thing.

So yeah, our "giraffes" are basically just regular old ruminant animals. But with a different name, I guess!

Man, that's pretty bad.  I was hoping the donation drive animals would be a little more carefully implemented.

Giraffes are not a donation drive animal.  Only bees were, and I think I did enough work for them.  But yeah, there are things to be done.

For the record, that quote about ruminant animals was mine, not NW_Kohaku's.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:04:30 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3676 on: February 16, 2011, 06:06:17 pm »

Fixed the quote.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: February 16, 2011, 06:07:50 pm »

On a more positive note: I like seeing the oldschool bay12 quirkiness show through with the evil/good grasses and troll wool. There is no substitute for that kind of thing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3678 on: February 16, 2011, 06:21:53 pm »

Troll wool is fantastic.

I want to point out something about Bees in the raws: They don't have to make honey.

They could make a lot of things. Molten gold, possibly booze, maybe even Armok bees that produce hives full of blood. I'm going to have to play with this.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: February 16, 2011, 06:29:05 pm »

Giraffes are not a donation drive animal.

Oh whoops, my bad.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: February 16, 2011, 06:43:25 pm »

A wild turkey hen just claimed one of my nest boxes and laid some eggs!  And now they're scaring off my dwarves!  LOL

Edit: And they're attacking my dwarves for trying to harvest the eggs! 

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: February 16, 2011, 06:43:53 pm »

Yay! Eggs~
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: February 16, 2011, 07:18:22 pm »

A wild turkey hen just claimed one of my nest boxes and laid some eggs!

You make it sound like a fey mood!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

hagbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: February 16, 2011, 07:45:05 pm »

Great Toady, have you planned to make DF multithreaded? Or have at least a separate thread for the GUI, so that it frees at least a few cpu cycles for pathfinding etc.? Is there still hope to avoid the nowadays inevitable FPS-Death some day in the future?
Being able to actually play DF with up to 200 dwarves would make me a lot more happier than all new features and animals combined.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: February 16, 2011, 07:46:20 pm »

Great Toady, have you planned to make DF multithreaded? Or have at least a separate thread for the GUI, so that it frees at least a few cpu cycles for pathfinding etc.? Is there still hope to avoid the nowadays inevitable FPS-Death some day in the future?
Being able to actually play DF with up to 200 dwarves would make me a lot more happier than all new features and animals combined.

This is one of those extremely repeated suggestions that we really, really don't need another discussion about in here... again.

But hey, feel free to post random feature/implementation suggestions in the development thread instead of the suggestions forum. That seems to be the thing to do these days.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: February 16, 2011, 07:47:26 pm »

The wild turkey hen sketches pictures of hay.
The wild turkey hen sketches pictures of chaff.
The wild turkey hen sketches pictures of grit.
The wild turkey hen has begun a delicious construction!

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: February 16, 2011, 07:50:20 pm »

I will now insist on imagining trolls as gigantic bipedal old English sheepdogs.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:02:24 pm by Skid »
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

hagbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: February 16, 2011, 07:58:49 pm »

This is one of those extremely repeated suggestions that we really, really don't need another discussion about in here... again.

But hey, feel free to post random feature/implementation suggestions in the development thread instead of the suggestions forum. That seems to be the thing to do these days.
I'm aware of the suggestions forum, and I'm also aware that multithreading has already been suggested. I didn't intend to misuse the development thread for a suggestion; my Intention was to make a status request about that issue. So basically I just wanted to know if it is in the works or not (or not yet). Sorry if it's still wrong, didn't mean any harm.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: February 16, 2011, 08:17:11 pm »

The wild turkey hen sketches pictures of hay.
The wild turkey hen sketches pictures of chaff.
The wild turkey hen sketches pictures of grit.
The wild turkey hen has begun a delicious construction!

Tor Tastycreator has made a Masterful Turkey egg omelet!
The wild turkey hen has gone stark raving mad.

TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: February 16, 2011, 09:22:32 pm »

I'm aware of the suggestions forum, and I'm also aware that multithreading has already been suggested. I didn't intend to misuse the development thread for a suggestion; my Intention was to make a status request about that issue. So basically I just wanted to know if it is in the works or not (or not yet). Sorry if it's still wrong, didn't mean any harm.

Well, we can answer this question in part without Toady anyway. Multithreading is in the ESV, and its somewhat low on that list. The top ten are currently on the short term dev notes, even if they aren't explicitly listed. So, no its not on any short term to-do list.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 342