Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551406 times)

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3690 on: February 16, 2011, 10:05:50 pm »

On a more positive note: I like seeing the oldschool bay12 quirkiness show through with the evil/good grasses and troll wool. There is no substitute for that kind of thing.

Love the troll wool. I'd totally forgotten about the Cavern of the Woolly Trolls in the Castle of Frome's dungeon... Man, that was a great series.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Peaceful Slugman

• Bay Watcher
  • dont axe me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: February 16, 2011, 11:31:06 pm »

do fowl put up much of a fight? I am hoping that I can have my dwarves punch and wrestle turkeys and whatnot to raise their combat skills if the birds are plentiful and easy to find, but if the birds are capable of slicing off legs I will reconsider.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: February 17, 2011, 02:43:55 am »

Hi Toady.

Guinea Fowl have this line for eggs:
"[CLUTCH_SIZE:4:15] should be 25 to 30"

What reason did you have for not just making it 25:30?

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: February 17, 2011, 03:41:21 am »

Not sure of this, but has Toady enabled Jabberers to spawn on the surface?
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3694 on: February 17, 2011, 05:19:29 am »

Toady, what are the conditions for eggs hatching?  Civ races can use nesting boxes and lay eggs, but will the eggs hatch?

Sorry if this has already been asked, I posted it in the wrong thread.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: February 17, 2011, 06:48:00 am »

So one of the first things i do when a new release comes out is to poke around in the raws to see whats new. I found something interesting.

I see that hydras do not lay eggs. Is this intentional? Do you intend for hydras to have gooey amphibian eggs instead of shelled eggs?

And another, somewhat related question:

Do you intend on giving crocodiles, etc. proper leathery eggs at some point?
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: February 17, 2011, 06:51:52 am »

Well toady isnt a veterinarian so that he may get some things wrong isnt much of a problem. I mean he cant actually know that pus in bunnys isnt normally liquid or the consistence of Croc eggs.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:06:37 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: February 17, 2011, 07:55:42 am »

Great Toady, have you planned to make DF multithreaded? Or have at least a separate thread for the GUI, so that it frees at least a few cpu cycles for pathfinding etc.? Is there still hope to avoid the nowadays inevitable FPS-Death some day in the future?
Being able to actually play DF with up to 200 dwarves would make me a lot more happier than all new features and animals combined.

I believe graphics already have their own thread.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: February 17, 2011, 08:34:28 am »

A wild turkey hen just claimed one of my nest boxes and laid some eggs!

You make it sound like a fey mood!

No. Just a fowl one.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: February 17, 2011, 08:36:19 am »

Are there any plans to put metal abundance in the worldgen?
and are there any plans to improve the trader interface and improve the amout of traders that will visit you?
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: February 17, 2011, 09:36:57 am »

and are there any plans to improve the trader interface and improve the amout of traders that will visit you?

"Dwarf mode trading improvements" is release 6 on the dev page.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: February 17, 2011, 10:23:21 am »

Are there any plans to put metal abundance in the worldgen?

It might be fun if you had to prospect for The Smitten Socks civ / hear about rumours of golden mountains in advernture mode.
edit: But as an option, there are times when you just want to get stuck right in the DF and not get bogged down in the specifics. (For some those times are all the times)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:51:35 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: February 17, 2011, 10:59:17 am »

Was it this release where Toady fixed fat? It works so much better now. (Processed as a stack, but creates individual tallows)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: February 17, 2011, 12:59:42 pm »

Hi forum peoples. I was about to ask Toady this one directly, since I can't find a direct asnswer in my forum searches. Maybe the B12 forum can deliver?

Question: Has Toady ever mentioned taking the principle of stigmergy from the ACO scheme in order to dynamically modify the PATH_COST value for tiles as dwarves travel over those tiles? My thought is that since we can already improve framerate by manually designating High Traffic Areas, perhaps inserting some code to dynamically modify High Traffic areas as the dwarves are travelling would provide the same benefit while keeping the same A* algorithm in place.

So how about that? Have I missed Toady's prior comments on this very topic?

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: February 17, 2011, 01:34:48 pm »

Question: Has Toady ever mentioned taking the principle of stigmergy from the ACO scheme in order to dynamically modify the PATH_COST value for tiles as dwarves travel over those tiles? My thought is that since we can already improve framerate by manually designating High Traffic Areas, perhaps inserting some code to dynamically modify High Traffic areas as the dwarves are travelling would provide the same benefit while keeping the same A* algorithm in place.

So how about that? Have I missed Toady's prior comments on this very topic?

I don't know if he's commented on it, but I'm pretty sure that sort of thing has come up in the pathfinding discussions before (it sounds kind of like how ants lay pheromone trails, more-or-less?).
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 342