Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551701 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3735 on: February 18, 2011, 04:22:41 pm »

Game could let you bootstrap metal indrustry from nothing thou - like making anvil without forge ... clay form from kiln and reaction at smelter to pour iron into it would be rather nice if you have iron-less civ.

wow, this would allow to start with a zero point embark... now, can somebody do it?
pretty please?

Where do you get pickaxes to mine out the iron ore?  --Oh wait.  Goblinite.  Whoa.  If you can survive that long, you really could make an anvil out of goblinite, and use surface magma for your fuel.  Damn.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: February 18, 2011, 05:01:51 pm »

I think all kobolds are starving during worldgen. I generated a few worlds and they seem to all die on the fourth year.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: February 18, 2011, 05:40:21 pm »

Yea they are, I think the most recent speculation is that they don't have anybody nearby enough to filch food from and die out.  Some worlds do get surviving kobolds, but it I understand it correctly those kobolds that survive started very close to one of the big 3 civs.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: February 18, 2011, 05:43:52 pm »

Yea they are, I think the most recent speculation is that they don't have anybody nearby enough to filch food from and die out.  Some worlds do get surviving kobolds, but it I understand it correctly those kobolds that survive started very close to one of the big 3 civs.
Some might call this natural selection.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3739 on: February 18, 2011, 06:38:24 pm »

I suppose they would work better once they can be properly nomadic, so the ones with lots of enemies can flee to the hills for a while, and the starving ones can start sneaking into the cities.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: February 18, 2011, 09:46:22 pm »

Yeah. The thing is that kobolds are parasites (as Toady said), so spawning them like regular civs is a little odd, because they aren't self-sufficient.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: February 18, 2011, 10:50:53 pm »

Toady One,

What do you mean "what we once called the Caravan Arc"?  What are we calling it now?
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: February 18, 2011, 10:53:00 pm »

I believe he was referring to the fact that it has been split into a series of mini releases.
*Hugs*

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: February 19, 2011, 01:09:36 am »

If a kobold can take off my commander's head in one swipe of a large dagger, I don't see why they can't at least do some self sustaining foraging for edible raw plants, some fishing, or even rustle up a brace of coneys.  Even vermin would do.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: February 19, 2011, 02:17:14 am »

I believe he was referring to the fact that it has been split into a series of mini releases.

I highly doubt any of the arcs were ever intended to come all at once in a single release. I think Toady's just referring to the giant dev page that says "caravan arc" on it being outdated.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: February 19, 2011, 05:50:36 am »

If a kobold can take off my commander's head in one swipe of a large dagger, I don't see why they can't at least do some self sustaining foraging for edible raw plants, some fishing, or even rustle up a brace of coneys.  Even vermin would do.
Well, they are carnivores, so plants wouldn't do it. Vermin is actually what they are supposed to live of according to Toady, but that doesn't seem to work right.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: February 19, 2011, 06:21:21 am »

Game could let you bootstrap metal indrustry from nothing thou - like making anvil without forge ... clay form from kiln and reaction at smelter to pour iron into it would be rather nice if you have iron-less civ.

wow, this would allow to start with a zero point embark... now, can somebody do it?
pretty please?

I've been doing zero point embarks since 40d. It is not difficult if you start in a forest.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: February 19, 2011, 10:41:56 am »

he means with getting metal and without caravans ;)
I've done it quite a bit too...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: February 19, 2011, 11:49:29 am »

Toady One,

What do you mean "what we once called the Caravan Arc"?  What are we calling it now?

That and the fact that the Arc system was part of the old dev goals, which have obsolete nomenclature, numbering, etc., although the concepts are still relevant.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: February 19, 2011, 05:39:52 pm »

What is going to be the fate of the current market towns that boom and subsequently die during world gen, leaving a myriad of abandoned stores?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 342