Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562482 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4260 on: April 05, 2011, 03:31:00 am »

Those city designs look crazy awesome! I have to ask though, will we have things like central keeps, inside a second wall?

Also, will the cities get divided into districts? Say a livestock/butchers/tanners section downwind of the city, or cramped and dingy slums/ghettos & more expensive and spacious rich districts?

Either way, can't wait.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: April 05, 2011, 03:57:44 am »

hope they have cellers and sewer works. tis not a propper city if you cant find somewere to be armpit deep in crap.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Kappas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: April 05, 2011, 04:00:47 am »

Quite frankly, I think that Toady has catched a little Napoleon fewer here. Are cities of that size still practical in game terms? In the other hand, layouts we saw today were maximum size cities, so may we assume most towns shall be smaller?

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: April 05, 2011, 04:16:58 am »

So one pixel is equal to one in-game tile? That would make these cities the size of a full 17x17 embark area. I wonder how many people these cities will hold.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: April 05, 2011, 04:35:20 am »

say a dwarf needs 4 rooms, of 3x3 each, thats 3x3 = 9 tiles, x4 = 36 tiles for the rooms, though its realy 5x5 for the walls, making it a 100 tiles for one house, ish, thats in any z level or direction. so if it was stored with 2 rooms below and 2 rooms up, just 50 tiles -and not even that because they share a wall(s) between rooms.

hmm. minimum is 45 squares for a base lets say, for a 2 room down stair and 2 room upstairs. divide 17x17 embark square tiles by 45 game tiles, and add 50% to 75% since some of the population will be living together. what number you get is the population. im willing to bet it is a hell of alot.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

B0013

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: April 05, 2011, 04:53:38 am »

2008:
1, 2

2011:
1, 2

Also, will there be variations of city layouts beetween different human civilizations? Like, if a civ makes more "organic" looking cities another may make them more rigid (larger roads, no curves, etc.)
>{) >(> })o)  Fishes!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: April 05, 2011, 05:02:27 am »

The new cities are just orgasmic <3...BUT

Will there be any kind of navigational tools like signposts or slabposts, or perhaps even a system where villages guide adventurers in place so that the player doesn't easily get lost in these cities?

I imagine the lag from these things might become a serious matter; when I adventured in my old fort, every movement was a pain because every surviving dwarf and cave animal was in the fort pathing around and fighting.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: April 05, 2011, 05:12:55 am »

I did have a few suggestions on something that could be done with the new maps.  But I love that they're totally procedural and seem to have grown INWARD rather than upward.

Now all we need is for those houses to not all just be hovels.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: April 05, 2011, 05:49:03 am »

Niiice start for the city maps.

I hope the cities will somewhat respect the surroundings. Or that people will start modifying the surroundings: like channels.
Toady specifically mentioned working on bridges and channels next after some gate work, so yeah, the cities should be respecting surroundings in a few days. And settlements of all kinds desperately need working bridges right now anyway, so they can follow their soonish-to-come schedules.

Will there be any kind of navigational tools like signposts or slabposts, or perhaps even a system where villages guide adventurers in place so that the player doesn't easily get lost in these cities?
I'm sure it's a concern that Toady'll look into. He already mentioned that new conversation options may come in, so that could be one help. I hope you can still (T)ravel in the confines of the new cities like you can in the current towns, though. As long as you can't (T)ravel over the walls, that should be ok.

So one pixel is equal to one in-game tile? That would make these cities the size of a full 17x17 embark area. I wonder how many people these cities will hold.
Someone in another thread estimated a good 1500 to 2000 buildings. If that's accurate, we're looking at maps for cities of 10000+ people (assuming an average of 5 to 7 inhabitants), which is much larger than most towns currently get (though caravan improvements may change that).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: April 05, 2011, 05:59:59 am »

inside those blocks is traditionally veggies.
These three cities look very similar. I'm sure it is just 3xamples of the same generic city type.

There do need to be destinations for those main roads to lead to and from, otherwise the pattern will just be of a slums.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: April 05, 2011, 06:05:02 am »

London in 1300 (map) had, according to Wikipedia, around 100,000 people. These cities are several times larger than London.

---

I was wondering:

How does the building process in world-gen work? Are the large buildings like walls or castles built gradually, segment after segment, or do they just pop into existence overnight? Is there some resource gathering going on? Basically, I'm just wondering if it is possible to encounter a city with unfinished walls, or a castle where just the keep has been finished.

I imagine this will come into play on a bigger scale later, when buildings like temples that can take dozens or hundreds of years get added.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

B0013

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
>{) >(> })o)  Fishes!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: April 05, 2011, 07:00:15 am »

Sadly there is no indication which buildings are single Z and which ones are Multi-z-level. I would estimate that toadys citys harbour 40 to 50k people atleast. Thus such citys must be centers of trade or something similiar. Imagine the logisticks behind such a place - food, building materials, tools weapons, fabric and cloth, metal etc. . If this would be a dwarfen town i wouldnt like to be the bookkeeper. Alone paving all the streets must drain a half mountain of rocks.

Now take a dwarfen mountainhome. If they get theyr hives in a comparable size there must be tremendous amounts of landfill (if the dont ship that to humans to pave streets). This stuff has to go somewhere since not all can be turned into trade-goods.

One thing i want to see first hand is a dragon or a forgotten beast rampaging trough the streets bringing death and destruction.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: April 05, 2011, 07:13:29 am »

Toady's got pics of the city up!

And by Armok, they're ENORMOUS! I'm looking forward to doing some exploration.
Those are max-sized cities, so I'm looking forward to them.
I hope they will have more than  z-level.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: April 05, 2011, 07:26:22 am »

I think cities of such a ludicrous size are going to be really appropriate when they have workshops and elaborate markets alongside them. Remember: we're only seeing the first stage here (and it was a pleasant surprise).

Are all those orange rectangles ALL buildings? As improbably as that seems, it's not without the scope of reality I suppose.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 342