Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562331 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4620 on: April 22, 2011, 09:36:19 am »

Suprised I haven't seen anyone mention spheres *or they have been mentioned and I missed em*.  The undead and "vampires" would be weak to sunlight, which would be necessery to keep them from just attacking the town non-stop.  So if you go to the cathedral and purchase the holy symbol of Solarus or something it would keep undead away, slowly burning it's flesh if it stayed to close.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: April 22, 2011, 12:31:22 pm »

Simply being able to use the power of a god from the world generated to protect yourself from certain creatures would be an interesting idea. On another note it might be interesting to be able to bribe some creatures to leave you alone but also potentially protect you from other creatures maybe of the same kind or maybe just weaker creatures. Being able to borrow the powers of other creatures to protect yourself would certainly be an interesting addition.

That and I can imagine an awesome story of a hero obtaining power from a night creature or megabeast early on to proterct them then when they obtain enough of there own power coming back to slay the creature.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: April 22, 2011, 03:47:01 pm »

"Foul monster hiding in your cave!  I shall defeat you with the power of the gods!  Cower before the holy symbol of the god PartyBooze the booze of beer!" *Throws barrel of plump helmet wine into cave* "And now beast, the holy symbol of Sparkmadness the flower of blazing!" *Throws live fire snake into cave*

BOOM

"Another fine successful day doing the work of the gods."
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: April 23, 2011, 02:29:40 am »

It would be indeed interesting if it was possible to use symbols of god bought or received at a temple against unholy(or holy if the god is evil) monsters, with power dependent on distance from a temple, number of god followers and faith of the user.

As for vampires, I like their representation in The Witcher(the books, not the game) - they actually come from another dimension to which a rift was briefly opened long ago by magic, and there are many kinds of them:

Ekimm and Fleder - lower vampires, they are beast-like, humanoid monsters, very brutal and pretty dangerous.

Alp - A higher vampire. Takes on a form of a human women, but can also morph into animals like dog or a cat, usually found near villages. Attacks only during full moon at 12' o'clock. It usually sucks blood of sleeping creatures, injecting a sleep-inducing substance causing nightmares. They move perfectly silently

Katakan - A higher vampire. On Kreta and in Greece it's called "happy vampire" as he always shows his white teeth which looks like a smile. Spits blood at his victims; if it touches someone, he starts burning. Usually attacks cows and horses. To kill a katakan, separate him from salt water in which he lives or boil his head in vinegar.

Bruxa - a higher vampire, does not fear sunlight, can attack with sound waves, has sharp fangs and sings after drinking blood. Can transform into a black bat. Attacks during days and nights, looks like a beautiful woman, and is often mistaken with a dryad or an undine. Has skills of charming and telepathy, but to take control over a crearure she must regularly drink it's blood. It mainly fights with high-pitched, incapacitating sounds

Nosferatu - the highest of vampires. Has a human form and can not be killed with ordinary means. Is resistant to heat and fire, can regenerate even after being chopped up and being buried(although this might take many years). During full moon he can transform into a bat. They don't have to drink blood, but usually do it for pleasure - for them it's like drinking alcohol, except better; most of them are practically addicted to it. A nosferatu can easily live among normal humans, but animals can sense that he's not a normal human with his smell.

Oh, and vampires don't multiply by turning others into vampire - as Regis from The Witcher explained - If there were 12 initial vampires and every of them would drink blood of one person at every full moon, there would be 144 new vampires per year, and all these vampires would create 12 vampires each next year, soon the whole world would be vampires, and I'm not even counting geometric increase per month.

Of course these are just examples, but I would really like to see more kinds of vampires in game - a human-like Nosferatu that the player could eventually even make an ally of(by finding out where a one is, you know, gossip about a strange man that dogs bark at, people with fang marks on their necks, but no casaulties, etc.), some lower, brutal vampires assaulting mainly animals living near villages or in sewers, rich nobles having Bruxes as mistresses and perhaps some other kind of higher vampire that could create new vampires(although perhaps need some special ritual and be limited to one or two in lifetime, so the world does not become full of vampires - perhaps one or two dozens per city on average(with cities with no vampires and ones with tons) forming a strict hierarchy based on who created who)

Pardon my eventual poor grammar, but I'm too lazy to spellcheck it(I spent a lot of time writing this, I have no intention of spending even more on correcting it to sound well).
I don't need a signature.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: April 23, 2011, 07:02:40 am »

Pardon my eventual poor grammar, but I'm too lazy to spellcheck it(I spent a lot of time writing this, I have no intention of spending even more on correcting it to sound well).
This seems a strange approach to take.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: April 23, 2011, 09:39:27 am »

As for vampires, I like their representation in The Witcher(the books, not the game) - they actually come from another dimension to which a rift was briefly opened long ago by magic, and there are many kinds of them:
no thanks. why would ripping vampires from crappy fiction be better than base them on actual folklore?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: April 23, 2011, 11:37:21 am »

no thanks. why would ripping vampires from crappy fiction be better than base them on actual folklore?

Of course these are just examples, but I would really like to see more kinds of vampires in game - a human-like Nosferatu that the player could eventually even make an ally of(by finding out where a one is, you know, gossip about a strange man that dogs bark at, people with fang marks on their necks, but no casaulties, etc.), some lower, brutal vampires assaulting mainly animals living near villages or in sewers, rich nobles having Bruxes as mistresses and perhaps some other kind of higher vampire that could create new vampires(although perhaps need some special ritual and be limited to one or two in lifetime, so the world does not become full of vampires - perhaps one or two dozens per city on average(with cities with no vampires and ones with tons) forming a strict hierarchy based on who created who)

From the above quote, I think he is simply throwing in ideas that could be incorporated into the design, and not that these should be ripped wholesale.

As for my own take, I think weaknesses would be fun as long as one thought is borne in mind: With enough firepower, anything should be removed from the material world. If it is weak against garlic, and I have garlic, cool. If it's weak against garlic, and I have an axe, I should be able to have a shot at mangling it until it's no longer able to physically exist.

I make the distinction between physical existence and an other-form of existence because some things should be able to come back to haunt the mortal world, even if they have been removed from their bodies.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: April 23, 2011, 12:48:33 pm »

Seccond, I kinda dislike nethackish adventurer which carries tons of junk around to deal with everything. Gathering said junk can become major checklist pita. (shark leather item against boogey men, check. diamonds against horned women, check, silver whip against ghouls, check ... )

I here you Zwei

whilst i approve of weaknesses if they are common every adventure would start with you going out to collect a load of crap. Imo they weakness should be restricted to a small portion of the games monsters. Possibly some undead, the boogey men, and perhaps some individual mega or forgotton beasts. So you may have the occasional quest where you need to get an item or material inorder to increase your chances of success, or if you really want to go out of your way to fight the boogyondown men etc.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: April 23, 2011, 01:19:30 pm »

also, weaknesses should give you an advantage, but should not be a necessity

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: April 23, 2011, 01:46:17 pm »

Well, monsters in Dwarf Fortress are rare. In generic roguelike, you kill dozens of monsters per minute. In Dwarf Fortress, you spend a lot of time wandering from town to town and finding a monster's lair and then killing one monster. They are so uncommon they could very well all have distinct disadvantages without you having to have a bloated inventory.

In fact, anything that makes monsters a bit more different from a random goblin is good.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: April 23, 2011, 01:49:16 pm »

It depends on where you go. It is more that for a fantasy setting monsters are rare.

You don't find monsters in everyday woods.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: April 23, 2011, 03:12:07 pm »

Well, monsters in Dwarf Fortress are rare. In generic roguelike, you kill dozens of monsters per minute. In Dwarf Fortress, you spend a lot of time wandering from town to town and finding a monster's lair and then killing one monster. They are so uncommon they could very well all have distinct disadvantages without you having to have a bloated inventory.

In fact, anything that makes monsters a bit more different from a random goblin is good.

Yes, if you have to be specifically hunting for a monster, or know that only 3 particular night creatures are in the area, you can stock up on that one town's particular creature's weaknesses at the local shops, rather than knowing that horned hags are vulnerable to shark leather bags, and carrying one around everywhere after you've left the only town near one (or killed the last of the horned hags) . 

Also,
As for my own take, I think weaknesses would be fun as long as one thought is borne in mind: With enough firepower, anything should be removed from the material world. If it is weak against garlic, and I have garlic, cool. If it's weak against garlic, and I have an axe, I should be able to have a shot at mangling it until it's no longer able to physically exist.

I definitely agree with this.

Even things like trolls that regenerate unless you kill them with fire or acid should eventually stop regenerating if you chop it into kindling and then mash the kindling into paste enough times.  EVENTUALLY, its energy supply or food supply or whatever will run out, and it should just plain starve to death after you keep mashing it into a finer and finer paste faster than it can heal.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: April 23, 2011, 03:17:32 pm »

Even things like trolls that regenerate unless you kill them with fire or acid should eventually stop regenerating if you chop it into kindling and then mash the kindling into paste enough times.  EVENTUALLY, its energy supply or food supply or whatever will run out, and it should just plain starve to death after you keep mashing it into a finer and finer paste faster than it can heal.

Heh... Heh... once had to kill a troll in Nethack by eating it.  That was fun.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: April 23, 2011, 03:23:44 pm »

Also,

I definitely agree with this.

Aye, I was thinking along these lines but I couldn't quite figure out how to put my thoughts into words. You two did that quite eloquently, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: April 23, 2011, 04:36:46 pm »

one could argue that it would be a betrayal of Dwarf Fortress if you encountered a monster that it was physically impossible to kill with a sock, or said monsters own arm.

An interesting weakness for a monster might be to be beaten with part of its own anatomy.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 342