Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562327 times)

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4680 on: April 27, 2011, 12:54:15 pm »

I was wondering: Will night creature generation ever be able to produce night creatures that feed on/are repelled by abstract concepts, such as happiness, the laughter of children, contentement, rage, etc.?

I'm not Toady, but I don't think so. Perhaps sounds and scents, maaaaybe stuff like hunger, but I doubt about abstract concepts. That would require a very complex AI system, and processing all kinds of sensory data by every creature would be pretty expensive, especially if we'd want them to analyze it carefully to detect abstract concepts.
I don't need a signature.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: April 27, 2011, 12:57:35 pm »

I was wondering: Will night creature generation ever be able to produce night creatures that feed on/are repelled by abstract concepts, such as happiness, the laughter of children, contentement, rage, etc.?
I'm not Toady, but I don't think so. Perhaps sounds and scents, maaaaybe stuff like hunger, but I doubt about abstract concepts. That would require a very complex AI system, and processing all kinds of sensory data by every creature would be pretty expensive, especially if we'd want them to analyze it carefully to detect abstract concepts.

What about generic AoE-type stuff? Eg., every intelligent creature within distance X of a certain type of a night creature gradually becomes more depressed (Or more angry, passive, whatever).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: April 27, 2011, 12:59:00 pm »

If "happiness" repels a monster, then wouldn't you just need to check a dwarf's happiness stat?  It's not like we need to have some sort of "happy-vision" for the player, just make the monster not like going near characters with a high happiness value.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: April 27, 2011, 01:30:24 pm »

You know the idea of a night creature feeding off of an emotion would be very amusing. In fact that would be something I'd want to see happen! Cause if there were such night creatures like for example "Feed off of scaring people by surprising them" I could see a whole lot of interesting ideas that could come together for new night creatures.

One case can be the "Dream Eater" a japanese mythical creature that's sort of like a dream catcher, that generally eats peoples dreams (usually nightmares from what I remember). This is the kind of stuff fantasy is made for!

Please make this possible Toady!
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: April 27, 2011, 02:26:41 pm »

I support the idea of creatures interacting with emotions by having them as weaknesses, feeding on them, causing them supernaturally, etc.!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: April 27, 2011, 02:32:45 pm »

You know the idea of a night creature feeding off of an emotion would be very amusing. In fact that would be something I'd want to see happen! Cause if there were such night creatures like for example "Feed off of scaring people by surprising them" I could see a whole lot of interesting ideas that could come together for new night creatures.

One case can be the "Dream Eater" a japanese mythical creature that's sort of like a dream catcher, that generally eats peoples dreams (usually nightmares from what I remember). This is the kind of stuff fantasy is made for!

Please make this possible Toady!

And you have no ulterior reason to want code for a night creature that feeds off of surprising people, eh, "Suika Fortress"?

;)

Actually, this discussion on strange creatures has gone on long enough to warrant a suggestion thread.

Here's the thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83426.0
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:45:49 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: April 27, 2011, 02:38:19 pm »

While I find this idea definitely interesting, I don't really think it would be good for gameplay.
No, wait, take that back, this would be a good way of dealing with certain dwarfs who want more happiness than they should have.

Ok, so here we go:
Assuming that someday there will be monsters feeding off emotions and other abstract concepts, do you think we could have creatures that simply prefer or dislike people with certain personality or appearance traits to some extent(for example some creatures could eat only people with scars, some would prefer people who get angry easily, some would completely avoid people with 6 toes and drop dead upon touching them, etc.)?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: April 27, 2011, 03:08:17 pm »

Unless I'm greatly mistaken, the number of toes a person has is not variable.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:06:42 pm by Cruxador »

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: April 27, 2011, 03:17:49 pm »

Yeah, I know, but I guess it's pretty safe to assume that in the future there will be much more personality/appearance traits like this. Am I right, Toady?

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: April 27, 2011, 04:20:56 pm »

Unless I'm gratly mistaken, the number of toes a person has is noth variable.

It should be if we want DF to be a true fantasy generator : how many times have interesting characters started as outcasts because of white hair/cat eyes/claws/scales/tail/whichever mark ?

I'm thinking also of people "touched by the gods" who get an attribute reflecting which god acted upon them, suck as an unusally high body temperature for the god of fire, an icy breath for a cold god...
Also, the Rain Wilders.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: April 27, 2011, 04:29:00 pm »

Unless I'm gratly mistaken, the number of toes a person has is noth variable.

It wouldn't be hard to make it so. Just add another caste with the appropriate digits :3. Maybe a third eye to go along with the polydactyly.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: April 27, 2011, 04:41:27 pm »

Or he could have gotten 4 of 'em chopped off in a goblin raid.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: April 27, 2011, 05:55:36 pm »

there's a cool story to be written, the story of the cheesemaker that purposely mangled himself to go after the monster who killed his wife, then becoming a professional night creature hunter

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: April 27, 2011, 05:59:49 pm »

Sir Toady

Will wild animals favor targeting certain bodyparts. Like how most large predators go for the throats of creatures? And would we get to mod creatures to tell them what bodyparts they would prefer to target.

Additionally

Will modders ever have the ability to mod other features of ranged weapons? Like reload time or inherent speed of the shot? This could have uses for moders who have modded guns into the game. But also make the game more realistic as Crossbows take longer to reload then bows, but packed more of a punch.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:41:53 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: April 27, 2011, 06:16:56 pm »

With the re-addition of stable settlements and now larger economic centers with the city, I'm wondering when actual needs such as housing and medicine will be addressed. But that's one of those arbitrary release date prediction things so I'm going to ask something much more feasible to answer.

With settlements back into adventure mode, will we see thirst and hunger be added in during the next release or a subsequent caravan arc release?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 342