Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562637 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4980 on: May 06, 2011, 09:12:21 pm »

Hehe the newest (06/05) devblog is nice. So we will be able to add and remove certain tags? I wonder if that includes the gender respective-tags (no fantasy-world is complete without Genderbender ^^) and the "Prone to rage" tag. The later would be nice to get "rabbies" in for animals, pets and farmers. I wonder also if we could change different things like the regeneration speed or the musclemass of a creature - these two would be nice for a "positive curse" within "good" places. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:00:06 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: May 06, 2011, 10:06:06 pm »

Can we more often expect daily updates, now? It's nice to read a paragraph about the assorted hijinks Mr. Adams gets into in the course of his craft.
He updates when he thinks there's something worth sharing; I doubt he can predict that much more accurately than we can.

Admittedly, the computer scientist I happen to be would be more interested about interesting FOR and WHILE loops Toady debugs than the average Urist.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: May 07, 2011, 01:30:42 am »

Hmm I am wondering if I should take back my question to lighten the load...

Anyhow for the most part Toady is sporatic in what he thinks is worth an update. Sometimes he posts every day.

Personally I don't think it is a "what he has to report" thing, I think it is more of a "Inspiration" think. As he seems to update more often when he is particularly full of energy.

Though I have no idea how I even pretend to pick up on such things as I am likely incorrect.

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: May 07, 2011, 03:58:28 am »

Will you take a look at the nobles bugs in the next few updates?
Like, for example bugged king- and dungeon master- arrival.

Do you have plans to put slade into the crafting system?
slade war hammers for my dwarfs! :D
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: May 07, 2011, 07:07:04 am »

Will you take a look at the nobles bugs in the next few updates?
Like, for example bugged king- and dungeon master- arrival.

After this release we will have another series of bug-fixing releases. This thread is for questions about current development of the game, not for bugfixing requests...

Do you have plans to put slade into the crafting system?
slade war hammers for my dwarfs! :D

...or suggestions. Please don't clutter this thread with them.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: May 07, 2011, 07:18:34 am »

For myself, and I'm sure for others, there comes a time when reading the Dev log that the promised new features just drain my patience, and makes me really excited for the next release.

This last dev post, I dont know why exactly, but it made me really want the next release.

I cant wait for it any longer.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: May 07, 2011, 07:42:23 am »

For myself, and I'm sure for others, there comes a time when reading the Dev log that the promised new features just drain my patience, and makes me really excited for the next release.

This last dev post, I dont know why exactly, but it made me really want the next release.

I cant wait for it any longer.
Second that! This release starts something BIG for adventure mode fans, however promises of Release 5 really puts me on the edge here. Finally the world will come alive, and I seriously hope it will survive being alive. I already can't wait for each one of those upcoming releases. It's like when I look on the list of those "Nine" scheduled, I almost can see my 'patience bar' on each of them and for the first one that bar is already empty for two weeks, that's why I shudder when remind myself of the fifth one  :D
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: May 07, 2011, 07:59:11 am »

Toady, with the unusually high frequency of devlogs, I bet you're having way more fun making these curses and undead, than some of the previous stuff you've worked on. Right?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: May 07, 2011, 09:20:20 am »

Full list of newly syndromable tags, mayhap?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: May 07, 2011, 09:27:59 am »

in the long run we'll probably see some sort of safe burial to be done, by today or modders.

like a crematory workshop, making hashes that then are to be put into a coffin. zombie ashes are way less troublesome.

but, well, magma plus a better slab interface will do right now.

You seem to forget about ghosts. The main reason toady is making undeath more prevalent now is so that you don't have to be completely negligent to encounter it. Challenges seem less fulfilling if you have to go out of your way for them.

no, that's the point of slabs.

unless you talk of wandering ghosts, then those are a problem indeed, but for fortress/civ population a burial would prevent ghost and incineration would prevent zombie.
so right now magma+slab is a safe burial mechanism.

Except that if magma and slab was a "100% safe method of burial", then there would be a 100% safe method of burial, and Toady just said there won't be any 100% safed method of burial.  Hence, magma and slab can no longer be safe.

Again, this can all be well and good to have some "random disaster" for players on one very specific condition - that the players are actually given a means to combat the problem.

Right now, you can flood your fortress with a careless river breach very easily, and while it's possible to prevent that disaster, there's almost no way to stop it once it has occurred, unless you went ahead and made failsafes you could activate (which is basically the same thing as preventing it, anyway). 

You can prepare for a siege fairly well if you train up your military or build an effective deathtrap, but if your warriors are all dead or your deathtrap bypassed, pretty much all you can do is activate your entire civilian force as military, arm them with whatever's at hand, and hope for the best. 

The game would be improved, in a sense, with a random event that you actually could react to on-the-fly, rather than simply predicting it and preparing for it, or losing when it appears.

A game like SimCity lets you react to a disaster while it happens by hitting you unexpectedly (or just letting you launch disasters whenever you want if you feel destructive) get hit with a building fire or a plane crash or an earthquake or the like. The thing is, you don't have much way to completely prevent that, but you do have ways to combat it while it is in progress - you can control the spread of a fire with bulldozing, starve the fires to mitigate their damage, clean up the aftermath, and rebuild.

Here's the important part, though: Fires, plane crashes, tornadoes, and earthquakes all STOP at some point.  The amount of damage they can do, unless you specifically do nothing to stop the spread of a fire, is limited, and won't completely destroy your city. 

A flood or breach of HFS or a siege that gets past your defenses keeps going until all your dwarves are dead - either you have negligible casualties, or a total fortress wipeout, with a very rare in-between state.  Hence, "disasters" in DF are either "meh, another siege, Urist, pull the Boatmurdered lever", or else "Everybody's Dead, Dave".

It's because of this I say that having ghosts that you can't prevent is all well and good if and only if there is some sort of means of "defeating" them once they are created.  Maybe that means appeasing them by throwing lots of expensive crap on their slab as an offering, or maybe that means that dwarves get priests and exorcists that can do spiritual combat with ghosts, or maybe that just plain means that you can "kill" a ghost with a sword, but as long as we have some sort of way of actually making the event stop at some point, then it's all good, and maybe the game can start giving you some sort of "challenge" that doesn't come in the form of a total pass/fail "did you remember to do X" type of question. 

If, however, ghosts spawn, and there is no way to stop them from killing your dwarves and slabs and such don't work, and you can't stop or combat them in any way, then we're dealing with the equivalent of playing Sim City where the earthquake just never stops.  There's no chance to rebuild or manage the disaster, because the disaster never stops, and any means you might take to mitigate the damage are ruined as the disaster just continues to break through your preparations and actions. 

One of these makes for a good game, and one of these makes for a bad game.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: May 07, 2011, 09:42:20 am »

I do hope, however, that Toady is making all these devlog comments because he is having fun and wants to share it. 

We have had an awful lot of complaint threads or paranoid accusations that Toady wasn't posting because someone has offended the Gods, and we must make a ritual sacrifice to appease them, or some other nonsense.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: May 07, 2011, 09:52:45 am »

*essay about good and bad games*

Right now there is only one way ghosts arise on DF, and it is by unburied corpses. There is ways of dealing with them, and it is by burying the corpse or engraving a slab.

We should wait the release to judge the new features, instead of writing pages and pages of replies based off a line or a picture on the devlog.

I do hope, however, that Toady is making all these devlog comments because he is having fun and wants to share it. 

We have had an awful lot of complaint threads or paranoid accusations that Toady wasn't posting because someone has offended the Gods, and we must make a ritual sacrifice to appease them, or some other nonsense.

Even if these complaints threads demanded your blood it wouldn't be as nonsense as complaining about a bridge on a picture showing a work-in-progress.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: May 07, 2011, 10:03:03 am »

Full list of newly syndromable tags, mayhap?

It hasn't settled down yet and probably won't until release.

Toady, with the unusually high frequency of devlogs, I bet you're having way more fun making these curses and undead, than some of the previous stuff you've worked on. Right?

Man it makes me a little uncomfortable when people get this meta about the dev process.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: May 07, 2011, 10:43:46 am »

Man it makes me a little uncomfortable when people get this meta about the dev process.

I suppose. But in the end, it's really just a more elaborate way to say "y'all having fun coding this?" which seems innocent enough.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: May 07, 2011, 10:45:30 am »

Toady, you mentioned that we may request certain geological structures for the next releases.  Can you expand on that?
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 342