Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562613 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4995 on: May 07, 2011, 10:45:49 am »

Hehe the newest (06/05) devblog is nice. So we will be able to add and remove certain tags? I wonder if that includes the gender respective-tags (no fantasy-world is complete without Genderbender ^^) and the "Prone to rage" tag. The later would be nice to get "rabbies" in for animals, pets and farmers. I wonder also if we could change different things like the regeneration speed or the musclemass of a creature - these two would be nice for a "positive curse" within "good" places.

Interesting ideas, I would love to know more about what the using the interaction/curse framework for new things means because there are so many cool possibilities.  I guess the best part about this is, as was mentioned in DF talk IIRC, the curses are kind of like the first stage of magic in the world, so it really is cool to start having this stuff make an appearance.  It feels like this question should have been asked before, but I'll try it anyway...

Will curses extend to inanimate objects such as swords, thrones and socks?  If so, could they "transfer" kind of like contact poisons (eg. from sword to wielder)?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: May 07, 2011, 10:53:26 am »

Toady, with the unusually high frequency of devlogs, I bet you're having way more fun making these curses and undead, than some of the previous stuff you've worked on. Right?

Man it makes me a little uncomfortable when people get this meta about the dev process.

I suppose. But in the end, it's really just a more elaborate way to say "y'all having fun coding this?" which seems innocent enough.

yepp.

Hehe the newest (06/05) devblog is nice. So we will be able to add and remove certain tags? I wonder if that includes the gender respective-tags (no fantasy-world is complete without Genderbender ^^) and the "Prone to rage" tag. The later would be nice to get "rabbies" in for animals, pets and farmers. I wonder also if we could change different things like the regeneration speed or the musclemass of a creature - these two would be nice for a "positive curse" within "good" places.

Interesting ideas, I would love to know more about what the using the interaction/curse framework for new things means because there are so many cool possibilities.  I guess the best part about this is, as was mentioned in DF talk IIRC, the curses are kind of like the first stage of magic in the world, so it really is cool to start having this stuff make an appearance.  It feels like this question should have been asked before, but I'll try it anyway...

Will curses extend to inanimate objects such as swords, thrones and socks?  If so, could they "transfer" kind of like contact poisons (eg. from sword to wielder)?

Afaik he said that the curses framework was expandable later on to artifacts and the such, so I'd take that as a "yes, later"
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: May 07, 2011, 12:48:13 pm »

Toady, you mentioned that we may request certain geological structures for the next releases.  Can you expand on that?

I must have missed this -- where did he mention that?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #4998 on: May 07, 2011, 12:50:55 pm »

Do you have plans to put slade into the crafting system?
slade war hammers for my dwarfs! :D

Considering all the effort Toady went to in order to make slade as close to impossible to get or use as he could manage, I'd be astonished if the answer was anything but "No, absolutely not".

Is the current mechanic for night creatures kidnapping spouses in world gen going to be incorporated into the curse/interaction system, or will it remain separate, like fire breath is separate from material breath?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: May 07, 2011, 01:22:56 pm »

Toady, you mentioned that we may request certain geological structures for the next releases.  Can you expand on that?

I must have missed this -- where did he mention that?

I believe that refers to this quote, by Uristocrat, who was and is working on a suggestion relating to doing more thorough research for material properties:
Quote from: Uristocrat
It sounds like there are some geology changes anticipated in Release 2.  Is there anything that players could research that would be helpful?

Hard to say...  I'm going to try to add some new overall structures to it, and if people have favorites it might speed things up a bit.

I went and did some research, and came up with some in this suggestion thread because of that.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: May 07, 2011, 01:30:50 pm »

NW_Kohaku, for the sake of our peace of mind, can you confirm that you are a human by writing down 5 things you don't know?
I don't need a signature.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: May 07, 2011, 01:37:48 pm »

NW_Kohaku, for the sake of our peace of mind, can you confirm that you are a human by writing down 5 things you don't know?

I'm pretty sure NW's actually an archailect or at least a transapient from the far future. :P
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:50:59 pm by Vorthon »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: May 07, 2011, 01:47:16 pm »

Right now there is only one way ghosts arise on DF, and it is by unburied corpses. There is ways of dealing with them, and it is by burying the corpse or engraving a slab.

And he is talking about changing these things, and therefore, it is worth discussing.

We should wait the release to judge the new features, instead of writing pages and pages of replies based off a line or a picture on the devlog.

Even if these complaints threads demanded your blood it wouldn't be as nonsense as complaining about a bridge on a picture showing a work-in-progress.

Actually, no, at the time that Toady is actively working on something, or just before he starts actively working on something is the best time to discuss such things, because that is when he can most easily change his decisions without breaking existing code or having him too distracted by the other work he intends to do to consider acting upon the discussion. 

Discussing potential pitfalls may be wasted if he is already aware of them, but if he was not, we can point them out before Toady falls into them.  Further, there is certainly no harm in pointing them out.

Once again, I made a circle on a map, and made a one-sentence note about how the bridge looked strange.  Truly, the most nonsensical thing you have ever heard, am I right?  ::)

What Toady needs is discussion about historical research when Toady is trying to aim for historical accuracy, and talks about how players will likely react to changes to gameplay.  Players, especially players of games like DF, will always look for exploits and ways to push the rules to the limits, and it is often difficult to foresee every possible ramification of a change until after you have let the genie out of the bottle.  (See: Mermaid Farming.)

What Toady doesn't need are people that make two-word lip-service praise comments at every one of Toady's posts just to act as a smokescreen for every comment they make everywhere else in the forum being thinly veiled griefing or insults of the entire community, so as to either openly or implicitly discourage all forms of discussion that they don't personally approve.

It doesn't matter how much "you are protecting his ego", if you grief potential donators into quitting on the forums, you're doing Toady harm.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: May 07, 2011, 01:54:41 pm »

I am no expert on geology.  I knew next to nothing about geology before playing DF.  What I appreciate most about DF is its ability to provide the impetus for tangential learning.

I did research over the Internet to acquire all the information I put in that suggestion thread.  If you look for it on YouTube, there are even some professors in some university in India who put up their entire course lectures up on YouTube, so you can basically take a home geology course from YouTube alone. 

You just have to want to do the research.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: May 07, 2011, 02:26:45 pm »

What Toady doesn't need are people that make two-word lip-service praise comments at every one of Toady's posts just to act as a smokescreen for every comment they make everywhere else in the forum being thinly veiled griefing or insults of the entire community, so as to either openly or implicitly discourage all forms of discussion that they don't personally approve.

Well, let's not get into such specific descriptions about what one does not need, shall we ? Too many details destroys the harmony of this topic.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: May 07, 2011, 02:33:37 pm »

Certainly Bay12 is a haven for griefers as long as they praise Toady. They manage to stay here for years without being banned...

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: May 07, 2011, 03:00:35 pm »

C'mon guys, this happened literally a week ago. Constructive criticism is what a thoughtful community does (or should do). It shows they care about the game enough to point out flaws that hold a system back from reaching its intended goal.

The point is that pointing out flaws in a system's mechanics is paramount to it not sucking and/or being as good as it could be while it's still being actively worked on and easily changed.

Calling Kohaku's bridge comment nonsense is like reprimanding an editor for being too hard on the author. The author can easily defend himself. That is, of course, overlooking the fact that it's the editor's job to edit the author and criticize the work where necessary.

Likewise this thread is for discussion of the DF development not just praise, blind or otherwise. Just as well, praise and criticism are not mutually exclusive, you can have both.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5007 on: May 07, 2011, 03:06:59 pm »

You just failed Turing test...  ;)

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: May 07, 2011, 03:14:18 pm »

You just have to want to do the research.
Yeah, I know. I love reading about all kinds of stuff concerning informatics. Guess I could use widening my horizons a bit.

What wikipedia pages(my fav method of acquiring new information) would you recommend as starting point?
I'm particularly interested in all kinds of mythology, especially interesting creatures.
I don't need a signature.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: May 07, 2011, 03:15:11 pm »

You just failed Turing test...  ;)
That is not what the turing test is.
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 342