Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551697 times)

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #5010 on: May 07, 2011, 03:20:32 pm »

NW_Kohaku, for the sake of our peace of mind, can you confirm that you are a human by writing down 5 things you don't know?

You just failed Turing test...  ;)
That is not what the turing test is.
No. While this was not official, I'm pretty convinced that zwei is human while NW_Kohaku might not be.
I don't need a signature.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: May 07, 2011, 05:04:16 pm »

So Footkerchief is the forum search system turned sentient, NW is... I dunno, probably like a brain hooked into a USB port, being fed pure protien from a complex machine system locked away in the basement of some area 51 lab.

Anyway they are like some kind of dynamic duo.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: May 07, 2011, 05:13:43 pm »

My guess is that NW is some kind of transapient from some hyper-advanced civilization, come to teach us puny earthlings the power of research. :P

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: May 07, 2011, 08:08:44 pm »

Toady, you mentioned that we may request certain geological structures for the next releases.  Can you expand on that?

I must have missed this -- where did he mention that?

I believe that refers to this quote, by Uristocrat, who was and is working on a suggestion relating to doing more thorough research for material properties:
Quote from: Uristocrat
It sounds like there are some geology changes anticipated in Release 2.  Is there anything that players could research that would be helpful?

Hard to say...  I'm going to try to add some new overall structures to it, and if people have favorites it might speed things up a bit.

I went and did some research, and came up with some in this suggestion thread because of that.

What he (and that thread) said.  I've already posted some ideas in past threads, but I think the introduction of pegmatites (extremely coarse-grained and occasionally gemstone-rich intrusive rocks at the upper margins of batholiths, stocks, and laccoliths, the inclusion of said intrusive bodies, and maybe the occasional fault would be neat.

Also, I think I suggested that caverns should be sensitive to rock layers.  The current style would be more common in flux stones, lava tubes (long, narrow, twisty passages rather than large rooms) would be more common in extrusive layers (especially basalt), and other rocks would have them only rarely.  In addition, the locales where rocks are found should have more variation.  Limestone can be found well below the surface, though it tends to become marble if it's buried deep enough.  Also, sedimentary rocks are very commonly found together.  In my field experience, limestone, sandstone, conglomerate, and shale are found together more often than they are found separately. 
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: May 07, 2011, 08:46:27 pm »

I'm definitely looking forward to having a dwarf's zombie and ghost get into fights, and/or team up and become a wacky crime-fighting duo.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: May 07, 2011, 10:05:27 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing the ability for ghosts to possess their original corpse, creating some kind of super-zombie-undead. Sort of, having the strength and physical presence of a zombie, but requiring whatever special steps ghosts need to deal with it. If, for example, spectral undead can be fought only with silver, then you'll need a silver weapon to deal with this "zomghost" (or banish/calm the ghost portion via proper burial rites). Dismembering the zombie may still remove the physical part, but the spectral part will still exist and may still allow for physical activity.

Perhaps this could also allow for things like floating heads/skulls, headless corpses?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 11:05:14 pm by Niveras »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5016 on: May 07, 2011, 10:25:32 pm »

I'm definitely looking forward to having a dwarf's zombie and ghost get into fights, and/or team up and become a wacky crime-fighting duo.

But... which one's the brains of the operation?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: May 07, 2011, 10:33:49 pm »

The rookie ghost really gets into the spirit of being a vigilante. The zombie has seen too many good cops un-die, and has a rotten sense of humour as a result.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: May 07, 2011, 10:56:16 pm »

The rookie ghost really gets into the spirit of being a vigilante. The zombie has seen too many good cops un-die, and has a rotten sense of humour as a result.

><

Don't take this too far, there could be some adaption decay.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: May 07, 2011, 11:51:29 pm »

><

Don't take this too far, there could be some adaption decay.

Nicked for the Sigtext thread.

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: May 08, 2011, 12:26:40 am »

In the later versions, how will adventurers' influence affect the world?  For example, if an adventurer with legendary reputation retires in a city, will it drive up the city's tourism in later years?  Will it improve diplomatic relations between that city's civ and all other civs that the adventurer holds high reputation in? 

Will a retired adventurer get married, have kids, become leader of a civ, etc., while playing a different adventurer or running a fortress?  And if they can have kids, will the offspring be playable after a certain age?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5021 on: May 08, 2011, 02:20:26 am »

The first paragraph: In broad strokes, yes.

The second paragraph: Word for word, that has all been planned. It's not going to be in yet, though.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: May 08, 2011, 02:30:52 am »

So Footkerchief is the forum search system turned sentient, NW is... I dunno, probably like a brain hooked into a USB port, being fed pure protien from a complex machine system locked away in the basement of some area 51 lab.

Anyway they are like some kind of dynamic duo.

In the light of the most recent dev log update, they could be the undead remains of a single hyperintelligent entity. But who is the zombie and who is the ghost?

Mercanthyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: May 08, 2011, 07:22:33 am »

Will Dwarf moods be affected by the activities of souls or gods?

i.e. a master armorsmith dwarf dies and because he is buried in a lavish tomb
his soul is at rest and he inspires a novice armorsmith to make
a masterwork plate item.

This is a random fact, but I am a Baha'i and Baha'is believe that creativity is guided by those who have passed on.
And I like the idea of the dwarves being inspired by specific dwarves from their city's history to make artifacts.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:28:47 am by Mercanthyr »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: May 08, 2011, 07:55:25 am »

Will Dwarf moods be affected by the activities of souls or gods?

i.e. a master armorsmith dwarf dies and because he is buried in a lavish tomb
his soul is at rest and he inspires a novice armorsmith to make
a masterwork plate item.

This is a random fact, but I am a Baha'i and Baha'is believe that creativity is guided by those who have passed on.
And I like the idea of the dwarves being inspired by specific dwarves from their city's history to make artifacts.

There are various kinds of moods, and one of them is the possessed mood. I hope Toady has time to bring this on this release, but as the name of the mood indicates, this was already planned.
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 342