Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graphical mods  (Read 1049 times)

Crowley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Graphical mods
« on: September 19, 2006, 02:00:00 am »

This is driving me crazy. All across the forums I see modifications to the ascii art ingame but cannot for the life of me find the mod responsible.

So what I ask for here is a compilation of such mods. Or barring that, a look in the right direction  :)

[ September 19, 2006: Message edited by: Crowley ]

fmunoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wesnoth.org
Re: Graphical mods
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 03:15:00 am »

Just edit the image file in the data\art folder...
be carefull as some characters are used for more than one thing at a time

Crowley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 03:24:00 am »

I'm aware of how it's done, I'm looking for people with saved .bmp files that I can use.

Raerlynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 11:50:00 am »

Do a search for tiles or tilesets. To my knowledge there are two custom tilesets floating around on the boards. One is made by UncleSporky, andother one is in a thread titled "Godfortress" or something like that.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 11:59:00 am »

GodComplex.

Arne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 02:05:00 pm »

Here's my gfx mod. It's square, 12x12, and thus needs a resolution of 960x300, which means you need to use windowed mode. The included init file has some settings that work for me. I do not know if the authors like files being distributed like this, but I hope it's okay.
Open directory/

Here is a screenshot:
map crop

(Edit: Made the double lines undotted)

As you can see I just made things square by adding padding. I did not touch the characters much at all. The reason the engraved tiles have little gaps is to make sure other things look okay. I nibbled some on the Dwarf faces, heart, round stones, and well.

Changes in init:

+ Windowed mode.

+ Window size (960x300) and link to my curses *bmp file.

+ Use only . for terrain gravel.

+ More contrast between greys.
+ Brown is brown.
+ Blue and Light Blue are brighter.
+ Red and Light Red are brighter.

// I made these changes because the value (brightness) of the blue channel is lower than green. Red is inbetween. I kept the colors annoyingly saturated though.

Installation:
+ Know what you're doing
+ Back up your data/init/init.txt file
+ Toss in mine after checking that it's okay
+ My curses *bmp file goes in data/art/
+ If the curses file isn't there properly and the init file tries to link it... I do not know what will happen.
+ Pray at your altar and start the game.

[ September 22, 2006: Message edited by: Arne ]

[ September 23, 2006: Message edited by: Arne ]

[ September 24, 2006: Message edited by: Arne ]

Ihmemies

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 06:05:00 pm »

I hate these weird 800x300 resolutions.

Is there any way to make a distorted tileset or something, which would stretch&look ok (square) on 1280*1024 fullscreen? Tft displays don't really do scaling, so it would be better to do it nicely with my pc...
http://www.kotiposti.net/ihmemies/roina/df_gfx.png  sure looks a lot better than squished graphics :/

[ September 22, 2006: Message edited by: Ihmemies ]

Arne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 07:56:00 pm »

I think if you want square tiles you must put up with a panoramic view. The display seem to be 80w 25h tiles.

I think a fullscreen aspect ratio is 4w to 3h.

Would be cool with a dynamic viewport thingamajib though, along with maybe moused context menus (the mousecursor being a blinking tile or something) and a hover over info bar.

At first I thought the ascii deal was... deterring, but in the end all games are translated into abstract elements that the logic in our brain works with. DF just has a little 'learn to read' curve in the beginning, but it goes away. Possibly one could argue that reading symbols is even faster than reading a gfx intensive 3d game which has to be deciphered with lighting, angles, fog and other obscuring effects.

I still think some of the symbols could be more intuitive though.

Arne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 04:27:00 am »

Tweaked it a bit so the double lines are undotted, but the single line are dotted. This makes the smooth walls look more complete, and the legs on the chair/stool are longer. If I were to make the single line undotted then the seat on the chair would look too long (like a table). I think the single lines are used for rivers mostly, doesn't matter much if they're dotted.

(I just replaced the curses file on the server, so if you are already using my thing just replace yours too)

[ September 24, 2006: Message edited by: Arne ]

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 10:42:00 pm »

Looks interesting.  It looks warped to see a "real square" now, though - I'm so used to the other.

Sidenote:  Why are you using wood for your chairs?

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 10:47:00 am »

Is there currently any way to substitute the forground/background color values of a specific type of tile-character, without altering the global values? I really abhor the grey background/black foreground colors for detailed walls and floors, since it makes everything look like undetailed rock and looks terrible with dark background dwarves walking across it.

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 04:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zomg:
<STRONG>Is there currently any way to substitute the forground/background color values of a specific type of tile-character, without altering the global values? I really abhor the grey background/black foreground colors for detailed walls and floors, since it makes everything look like undetailed rock and looks terrible with dark background dwarves walking across it.</STRONG>

If an item's colors is defined in the RAW files, then you can change them to your liking. But I'm pretty sure the colors of engravings are hard-coded into the game for now.  :(