Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Stack Exchange?  (Read 6521 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Stack Exchange?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 05:51:44 pm »

The stack thing is not successful. Its a very, very niche thing. I've never even heard of it until you made this thread to try to push people to go on it. It looks like its primarily a programming thing, where answers are very clearcut.

So you basically show up last week, don't try very hard to find any information, then declare the whole process useless and demand that everything be changed to suit your whims? And you even go and PM Toady about your demands?

Who do you think you are?  ???

Seriously. You barge in, declare everything broken, and proclaim you have the solution. These forums are very, very old. Use the search function. Many things have already been discussed to death or even tried out. The stack thing was apparently tried out. It was a dismal flop for the reasons mentioned earlier.

The entire point of the wiki is that it functions sort of like a FAQ. Look there first. If you want to know about pumps, type in "pump" and it will bring to some information.

Same deal on the forums. You want to know how to use a pump stack? Search for pump stack. Oh hey, discussions about pump stacks.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 06:02:42 pm »

Sooo.

RCIX wants to make something like Yahoo! Answers, even if we already have wiki/forum full of helpful articles/people?

Isn't it like, redundant and unnecessary?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 06:05:24 pm »

:(
This forum isn't very friendly. My enthusiasm seems to have been mistaken for demandingness. I just wanted to help, and people were mean to me because of it. Moreover, they call the idea i'm suggesting very, very niche, when it's not. There are already several successful sites on this model, and more will be launched soon. Please forgive me if i try to improve stuff; it's what i try to do. I may have rushed into it without completely considering the options, but that doesn't deserve the sort of attacks i'm getting here.

And when did i ever demand anything? i suggested it, and also asked Toady about it (i'm not even sure that the PM went out, blasted forums). Apparently no one can suggest something that overlaps with anything existing. All i was trying to do is help, and i got torn into. :'(

I might just lock this thread, and hope it will go away.

And this might be an overreaction, but please don't go nuts if it is. Consider that your posts were misread as well? please?
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 06:06:10 pm »

Please do.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 06:07:16 pm »

Please don't.

Edit: later post.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:22:02 pm by Protactinium »
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 06:11:03 pm »

:(
This forum isn't very friendly. My enthusiasm seems to have been mistaken for demandingness. I just wanted to help, and people were mean to me because of it. Moreover, they call the idea i'm suggesting very, very niche, when it's not. There are already several successful sites on this model, and more will be launched soon. Please forgive me if i try to improve stuff; it's what i try to do. I may have rushed into it without completely considering the options, but that doesn't deserve the sort of attacks i'm getting here.

And when did i ever demand anything? i suggested it, and also asked Toady about it (i'm not even sure that the PM went out, blasted forums). Apparently no one can suggest something that overlaps with anything existing. All i was trying to do is help, and i got torn into. :'(

I might just lock this thread, and hope it will go away.

And this might be an overreaction, but please don't go nuts if it is. Consider that your posts were misread as well? please?

Long version:

RCIX, you might feel offended or attacked, but the wiki is already filling the position of helper for DF. If the answer is not on wiki, then people can ask on IRC, or on the forums even. There will be always someone who will know the answer, be it helpful or not. But still. What you are proposing, is just another place for giving help. And the only difference would be voting system, and voting system isn't important - Answers to Questions are. Please don't interpret our posts like an avalance of insults and raeg-nerd attacks.

Short version:

DF community doesn't need DFSE.

-Haspen.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2010, 06:13:36 pm »

That's all i needed, not *deep scolding voice*"No." or tryingh to poke holes in the SE model.

It's also hard to interpret things as not-attacks when they very much seem like it.
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 06:15:45 pm »

We've been telling you that for THREE PAGES
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

eugene

• Bay Watcher
  • careful with that axe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2010, 06:18:16 pm »

This whole discussion is to me a strong argument in favor of a questions, answers and voting for reputation only site. In addition to the forums.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 06:22:33 pm »

Edit: Post Order Confusion.
-------------------------

A primary problem I see on other games' forums is when all the regulars become very tired of answering the same questions over and over and over again for new players. There are people who hate duplicate threads, triplicate threads, never-ending amounts of threads all on the same subject, spreading around good answers into obscurity rather than making them timeless.

On the same page, having thick megathreads are also horrible for browsing for data because you sift through mountains of information just to see if someone asked and answered the question you were looking for. In-depth discussions bury the relevant binary statements that would answer simpler questions.

Our forum search function is less-than-optimal if you have a specific bit of information you're looking to get answered. You can search pump stack and find a thread explaining how to pump stack... or dozens of threads talking about their recent forts that used pump stacks.

That's why I look at StackExchange as a "Hmmm... this looks like a dynamic FAQ." A person asks a question for all to see, some people leave answers of variable quality that answers it, others look at the answers and say, "Wow, this guy said it clearly and concisely," and it gets rated up so that other people can quickly see it. Therefore, the best posts that answer a question don't get lost in other posts (like in a megathread) or lost to other threads (like in short duplicate threads that get pushed to Page 15) and can be found much more quickly (unlike a search function that gets a lot of irrelevant noise).

The strong argument against StackExchange, in my view, lies in the Wiki, not in the forum. The Wiki provides data at the forefront, and discussions are all behind-the-scenes.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2010, 06:24:02 pm »

Down With The Wiki! :P ;)

Edit: and instead of yelling at the OPs of all of these duplicate threads to hit the wiki, you just vote to close as duplicate of whatever applicable question and that's it.

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 01:19:46 am »

The forums are self correcting.

You make a wild claim for something that is very strange or goes against the conventional wisdom? Okay...prove it. Dwarven science at its finest.

If you can prove your wild claims, like the invention of the magma piston only a few weeks ago, then awesome. If it doesn't pan out then nothing comes of it.

Same thing goes with the wiki. If the wiki is wrong, fix it.

If you can prove your wild claims, like the invention of the magma piston only a few weeks ago, then awesome.
like the invention of the magma piston only a few weeks ago
magma piston
Wait, wait wait. What? Magma piston? MUST FIND.

EDIT: Okay, that's freaking awesome.

I concur, this MUST be found. Link it. I'm only finding this post when I search for "magma piston". Or "piston", for that matter.
My Roguelike project, Adventurer, can be found at code.google.com/p/adventurerroguelike and its blog can be found at adventurerroguelike.blogspot.com

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2010, 02:13:00 am »

Dude, you said that these guys/we are being mean, were not, were pointing out that what you are suggesting is unneeded, problems it can solve have already been. If you want mean, go to 4chan, that will give you proper perspective. (Seriously, www.4chan.org, unless you're younger than 18...).

There are also three things you said that I will adress:
1. "That site was launched back when it was a free-for-all as far as launching stack exchange sites. You actually need enough support to create an active site to get one now."
2. "and instead of yelling at the OPs of all of these duplicate threads to hit the wiki..."
3. "That's all i needed, not *deep scolding voice*"No." or tryingh to poke holes in the SE model."

1. There is no support, as you can see...
2. That doesn't really happen, rarely one guy will say it, but I haven't seen it happen lately, and the question usually gets answered in the thread anyway.
3. Buddy, we said that at the start, the middle, and the end. But you didn't seem to care, and continued to explain why this DFSE is the most bestest and better thing than the wiki/forums, so we pointed out why it wasn't. Besides, really our points have focused on the fact that we don't need it.

Your idea to lock the topic is a good one, just drop it, as I said at the beginning, Bay12 is one of the nicest places on the internet. we won't hold it against you later.

EDIT: I apologize if I seem very blunt, and matter-of-fact in this post, but that's just the way I am.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:14:43 am by C4lv1n »
I've played a guitar with my penis.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 04:57:26 pm »

Would this site directly cut/reorganize the suggestions, in the suggestions forum?

That is to say, could this be a better site for making suggestions than the spammy forums?
No. We have the forums. Why do we need a separate area to ask/answer questions that belong on the forums?

Noah
To stop/reorder all of those hundreds of duplicate threads, where footkerchief bashes the newbies.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:01:07 pm by eerr »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6