Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Processor Use  (Read 704 times)

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Processor Use
« on: July 03, 2010, 09:35:09 pm »

Something Odd I noticed.. For all its processor intensive processing, DF only pushes up my CPU usage to between 25 to 30 percent, including all the normal processing my computer does constantly.

Its even set to Realtime, and its not taking a whole lot of my processing power.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Processor Use
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 09:41:20 pm »

DF isn't multithreaded, kind of. Your computer probably considers 100 percent to include all of your cores, and the majority of the DF process only uses one of them.

Depending on your init options, you can have DF set to have one core do the rendering and another do everything else, however. I suspect you have four cores, one of which the main DF stuff takes up entirely while the relatively minor rendering is being done by another core, which is why it's going slightly over 25%.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Processor Use
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 10:12:07 pm »

DF is only a single core game. If you have the current version 31.08 it does put off some of the graphics to a second core, but its not much of a gain. You get like maybe 1.1 cores, but its better than only 1 core with the non-SDL version.