Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: This is insane.  (Read 40169 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This is insane.
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 06:53:59 pm »

Actually, a thought:

Would it be possible to produce an algorithm that produces designs for computers like this?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 06:54:26 pm »

Oh right...I remember when he first released this on the forums.  I think you guys are more impressed than we were back then...maybe because we see it as just another giga-megaproject.  It's special, certainly...but we all know what can be done and aren't surprised when we see it, just that somebody went through the trouble of actually doing it.  This thread is already longer than the original thread, I think.  Personally, I find the most surprising thing here to be that so many of you weren't aware of this project.

The original thread is here.

Now, Flarechannel was something we were REALLY impressed with.  Original thread is ten pages long.  I believe it was a centuries old fortress that is now taken as absolutely legendary in the amount of work that went into it.  With invasions and other fun stuff turned on.  Heck, apparently half the innovation was to make it invasion-proof.  Check it out.

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 07:19:24 pm »

A comment was made earlier about the calculator being made without invasions on.  Invasions may very well have been on.  When looking at the map, waiting to see if the answer was b00b5 for everything divided by 0, I found that one tile in from the entire edge of the map, except for a river and a 7-ish wide entryway was channeled.  The Entryway was filled with row upon row of weapon traps, and pressure plates to trigger... something.  Not only that, but the channel around the map and the entryway were littered with hundreds of discarded narrow clothes and armor.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 07:24:35 pm »

A comment was made earlier about the calculator being made without invasions on.  Invasions may very well have been on.  When looking at the map, waiting to see if the answer was b00b5 for everything divided by 0, I found that one tile in from the entire edge of the map, except for a river and a 7-ish wide entryway was channeled.  The Entryway was filled with row upon row of weapon traps, and pressure plates to trigger... something.  Not only that, but the channel around the map and the entryway were littered with hundreds of discarded narrow clothes and armor.

Sounds like invasions were surely on.  Some people will turn off invasions so they can focus solely on engineering.  It feels like the majority of megaprojects are done with invasions on.  Megaprojects are done for the challenge.  Wouldn't it be more challenging if you didn't turn off the easy-to-stop invasions?

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 08:57:41 pm »

What he's done is he's taken a partially finished game, and using that he has Built a computer within a computer. As you said, it's beyond the scale of any other megaproject I've seen.
And then, it hit me what dwarf fortress could do. And more importantly, the fact that it will litterally be the most realistic fantasy world ever with no glitches or flaws at version one... and the technology will be good enough to run with modern graphics without crashing the system or causing major frame problems!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 09:02:19 pm »

the technology will be good enough to run with modern graphics without crashing the system or causing major frame problems!

I'm skeptical about that
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2010, 09:04:01 pm »

Yeah, sorry, it wwill still be a rougelike.http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/Smileys/aaron/tongue.gif

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 09:11:15 pm »

Yeah, sorry, it wwill still be a rougelike.http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/Smileys/aaron/tongue.gif

Is it my browser, or is that a URL where a smiley should be?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2010, 09:16:59 pm »

might be my browser too. i see what you do.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 09:22:13 pm »

Yeah, sorry, it wwill still be a rougelike.

Is it my browser, or is that a URL where a smiley should be?
Not your browser, there were no image tags on it... though I'm not sure why he didn't just type :P
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2010, 11:50:06 pm »

Sounds like invasions were surely on.  Some people will turn off invasions so they can focus solely on engineering.  It feels like the majority of megaprojects are done with invasions on.  Megaprojects are done for the challenge.  Wouldn't it be more challenging if you didn't turn off the easy-to-stop invasions?
It probably would be a bitm ore challenging, but I hate getting blood all over the place.

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 01:15:09 am »

Hate getting blood all over the place? But elven blood all over the - OH ARMOK, IT GOT TO THE WELL! IT'S GETTING EVERYWHERE!
My Roguelike project, Adventurer, can be found at code.google.com/p/adventurerroguelike and its blog can be found at adventurerroguelike.blogspot.com

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 05:41:56 pm »

There is only one way to beat this computer for shear awesome:

This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2010, 05:52:03 pm »

do you  mean in a demon fortress?

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 05:58:36 pm »

Either that, or actually dig down into the glowing pits themselves and construct a computer there. (For bonus points it should use demon pathing logic and pressure plates to perform calculations)
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6