Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Your choice storytelling - Waterworld?  (Read 5187 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Your choice storytelling - Waterworld?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 05:11:57 pm »

So I'm thinking for the entrance I'll have it roughly in the middle of the land mass? Or closer to shore... I'll then have to wait until winter again for the ocean to freeze. Then I'll dig some sort of fortress design into the ice and build domes... Now... Are the domes made out of glass? Do crystal glass or clear glass walls/floors allow light to travel through them so I could have above ground crops underwater? Do I have to build windows in order to block light? Do windows function as walls or would water pass through it? Do I make spheres instead of domes? Or cubes? Or what?

Help me!!! Today is an extremely boring day and the creative side of me is drained...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 05:41:53 pm »

Make a noble house-sized reverse pyramid complex on a pillar, with the supporting lever inside. What I mean is like, an upside down pyramid with like 4 floors on a pillar, put rooms for 1 noble inside, and hook up a lever to the pillar, then make another along side it etc, for all nobles. And don't forget to profile the levers.
As for the rest of the fortress, dig down into the ground on land, and dig into, and b-C floor and wall the frozen ocean. I want to see an isolated underwater hellhole the can only be expanded on in winter.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 12:02:12 am »

@breadbocks, I'm not too sure about the noble thing, but I'll work some kind of noble death device into it. The plan was to build in the water. My big problem is design for the water fortress. I can make a fully functional fortress real easy, but it won't be interesting.

@everyone else... fortress designs, entrance designs, anything! Stuff you don't think you could handle, I'll try to make it work!
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 12:24:11 am »

ok... going from nothing here.

How about an elevator system with a magma water obsidian farm drop room... ambitious I know.

The idea is you have a large drop shaft and several miners on standby. At the top, you cast a 3-z-level high and at least 3x3 dimension rectangular prysm to be dropped down. The migrants or traders enter, drop down, hit bottom, and are dug out. This will require a pump stack, numerous draw bridges, excessive mining, and whatnot.

To get back up you make a tower twice the size and have dwarfs climb it and drop from there.

It is ineffecient, will accomplish next to nothing, and is complete overkill. It will also probably not work. In other words, dwarfy.

Another idea is to have a very high class drowning chamber elevator. You have all dwarfs novice swimmers, and have a tall shaft. At the bottom, pump water in w/ dwarfs inside. As the water rises, to keep above the dwarfs will rise. Eventually they will get to a level with ramps leading out of the water.

and yet another idea, have the same logic work accept going down. The dwarfs get in, the water begins to lower until they have safely reached sever z-levels below themselves. its brilliant.

Build at least one of these. Once you have figured out that they don't work, tell me. Not saying I know they won't work. Just a guess.
Meowth! That's right!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 12:32:10 am »

Well I'm not too sure how to get dwarfs in the raised pool already. The pool that raises might be a little tricky being under water. It might flood instantaneously if I can't figure a way to regulate it. Should I have a simple entrance that is using the actual ground and then have a complex entrance (possibly using magma and or water) that is entirely in the water? Hmmmm... I think for right now I need to work out some kind of initial design to get things started.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 09:23:57 am »

drop them from a drawbridge right above (or on) the water.
Meowth! That's right!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 12:11:19 pm »

@breadbocks, I'm not too sure about the noble thing, but I'll work some kind of noble death device into it. The plan was to build in the water. My big problem is design for the water fortress. I can make a fully functional fortress real easy, but it won't be interesting.
I know you want to build in the water. Like I said, set it up somehow that you can only expand in the winter. If needed, set up a Dwarfputer clock. As for your entrance, have a simple shaft... hehe shaft.... that leads into a large porch, which is marked as "outside", with a bunch of spike traps linked up to a repeater. Then have a guarded by dogs, winding, trapped to hell and back, and draw-bridged complex entrance for your dorfs. That challenging enough?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 02:34:02 pm »

I guess we'll see what I come up with, with these ideas...

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 02:35:37 pm »

MAKE RAPTURE! then start pumping magma under the ocean to heat it up! creating water!

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 02:36:23 pm »

And btw could you post the Gen? i was searching for such a location quite some time

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 02:42:22 pm »

It's not a gen exactly... It's more of a PerfectWorld genned world...

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2624

This is relatively the same thing as what I've got now, but with more focus on the mountain than water, however you 'should' end up with the same thing. In the save file is a World_Gen.txt, take that and switch it out with yours, then go to generate world with parameters.

You have a layout for rapture?

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 02:52:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

thats the city its pretty impossible to build it , so i guess make a big main building, sleeping chambers , boiler room (magma), Dinner Room , Working Chambers , Execution room , some way of fishing UNDERWATER! and of course some room for the nobles (Philo,Dungeon, Leaders)

EDIT: and i forgot a LIGHTHOUSE! with a way into rapture trough a big amount of narrow tunnels Article is here read the lighthouse part or even further if you are interested
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:53:53 pm by Jetsquirrel »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010, 03:00:03 pm »

Alright, it's decided, I need to change my embark area slightly so I have more underwater area available. I shall have a city and I shall have floating orbs/domes/something and of course a parascope/lighthouse.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Your choice storytelling...
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 03:06:36 pm »

In a not so old fort that I've lost the save for somehow I embarked with only cassiterite. That was it. 7 peasants and about 150 cassiterite stones. You could the the survivalist challenge were you embarked in a tough biome with nothing but one bit of native copper. It was a lot more plausible in 40d when hunting worked.

Hey, I remember that fort! Except it was six peasants and a Spartan.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 11:05:25 pm »

Turn off cave-ins in init for extra fun. Or may be Fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4