Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DF Internationalization to translate it  (Read 9909 times)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: DF Internationalization to translate it
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 09:05:56 pm »

The game relies on dynamic text now more than ever, and will likely continue in that direction. See: Combat reports, wound and other descriptions, etc.
While the game is definitely moving toward dynamic texts, a lot of that is flavor, and the bare basics are mostly static. You're probably right in that combat reports look like they'll have to remain in english. But in regards to the wound screen and creature flavor text, a lot of that can be edited via raws, in addition to noble positions, creature names, body parts, metals, layers, toys, equipment, plants, and some reactions.

You can't edit anything about wounds in the raws, at all. Except maybe the names of a few token things. And the grammar still won't make any sense at all.
Yeah, I got a bit mixed up, and I was talking about the wounds summary when you select a creature with v and w, with the color-coded injuries. I didn't take into account the actual character profiles with t he "*'s left foot in mangled" or whatnot.

insolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My projects on the Github
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 04:30:55 pm »

Just in case someone is still following this thread. For several months I'm working on a translation patcher for the Dwarf Fortress game. If anyone intersted, have a look at the following thread: Dwarf Fortress localization patch

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 04:35:44 pm »

Epic necro is epic.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 06:49:06 pm »

Epic necro is epic.
Nothing wrong with that.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 12:39:45 pm »

Well, this thread is almost two years old. Shouldn't there be a more recent thread of this kind somewhere?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 12:59:25 pm »

Well, this thread is almost two years old. Shouldn't there be a more recent thread of this kind somewhere?

How recent it is makes no difference - if this thread had the closest idea to what the poster wanted to talk about, then this was the thread they should have used.

Besides, in the past month, we've had a half-dozen threads come back from 2008 or 2007.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 07:35:28 am »

If someone wants to translate it, I can help. My english is quite good, and I can do some work [for french].

On the other hand...it's true that grammar is a pain. Descriptions, mainly.
It's not a problem for me to play in english (even if it was quite hard at the beginning) but translation could really help to spread the game more heavily, and, as a consequence, would bring more money to the game. It's not just a matter of money, but if another developer could be hired...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 08:05:01 am »

Probably the simplest internationalisation would be a translation to... English.

The words "armour" and "colour" would be at the top of my list to implement.  Most of the grammar should be perfectly acceptable to stay intact as it is, though. ;)

(It should also serve most of the less rebellious English colonies, including them lot wot stare down at you from across the Great Lakes and the whateverth parallel!)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 02:43:37 pm »

Probably the simplest internationalisation would be a translation to... English.

The words "armour" and "colour" would be at the top of my list to implement.  Most of the grammar should be perfectly acceptable to stay intact as it is, though. ;)

(It should also serve most of the less rebellious English colonies, including them lot wot stare down at you from across the Great Lakes and the whateverth parallel!)

Ethnocentrism: Just fine, when it's not the Americans doing it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 05:38:49 pm »

I'm not claiming to be at the centre[1] of the world.  I'm fully 1.5 degrees west of Greenwich!  And I also have a fundamental disagreement with a lot of those at the latitude of Greenwich over the meaning of the word "Dinner".

(And if I use "wot" in an unquoted manner, I'm generally not being as serious as I might be. ;) )

Mais, mon ami français (qui commencement le requete), c'est un(e?) bonne ideé.  Je pense il est un peux compliqué (les autre avez les explanation mon avis), mais je souhaiter vous bonne chance.  (Aussi, je regret mon langage étrenger est empirer que vous.  Vous sais ca est vrai, maintenent.  Meme si vous comprenez moi dans le premiere étage!  Vingt ans, est plus, depuis le cours de français; plus souvent inemployé.)

((And, now, my spill-chucker hates me.  All those red-underlines!  The ones that are absent surprise me more, though!))

[1] Or, if you will, "center".  But I won't.  Why did Tim not force them to make the likes of "<centre>" and "bgcolour=#abcdef"?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2012, 07:14:24 am »

Why did Tim not force them to make the likes of "<centre>" and "bgcolour=#abcdef"?

Because he didn't speak the same dialect of English that you do?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2012, 11:00:56 pm »

Why did Tim not force them to make the likes of "<centre>" and "bgcolour=#abcdef"?

Because he didn't speak the same dialect of English that you do?
Quote from: Wikipedia
Berners-Lee was born in southwest London, England, on 8 June 1955, the son of Conway Berners-Lee and Mary Lee Woods. His parents worked on the first commercially built computer, the Ferranti Mark 1. One of four children, he attended Sheen Mount Primary School, and then went on to Emanuel School in London, from 1969 to 1973. He studied at The Queen's College, Oxford, from 1973 to 1976, where he received a first-class degree in Physics.

You're right, he's not from my area of Britain, and even without listening to him I'd expect something 'posh'/educated with a south-London base and possibly a lingering hint of Brummy in some phrasing.  But still can't see any reason (and I checked the respective links, and both parents are from Birmingham[1]) why he would ever have been brought to use US variants of such contested words.  My original question is still as relevant (i.e. not, but certainly no less so).

[1] Not the Alabama one...
Pages: 1 2 [3]