Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Seiged? what do I do!  (Read 1714 times)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seiged? what do I do!
« on: July 04, 2010, 08:53:02 am »

U am being seiged by goblin macemen... I have tried and tried but 10 sworddwarves just keep getting killed. Can I just wait it out and hope they leave?

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seiged? what do I do!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 09:01:42 am »

well I sacescummed and it seems as long as I dont try to send my militery over they just sit at the edge of that map...can I just let them get bored so they just run away?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:05:33 am »

unless there's a way into your fort, they will sit at the map edge and play cards until they get bored.

As to your sworddwarf trouble: are you certain they have equiped none-training weapons?
If so, are they wearing and wielding at least bronze or iron?
As Goblins commonly use iron, you should use equal or better metal to fight them. At the moment, materials have a large impact on combat outcome.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 09:06:22 am »

I think after a couple of seasons of being unable to path to any dorf they do wander off the map, you may consider making a long one-tile wide hallway with cagetraps, opening it, and letting them path through it to clear them out.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:28:08 am »

unless there's a way into your fort, they will sit at the map edge and play cards until they get bored.

As to your sworddwarf trouble: are you certain they have equiped none-training weapons?
If so, are they wearing and wielding at least bronze or iron?
As Goblins commonly use iron, you should use equal or better metal to fight them. At the moment, materials have a large impact on combat outcome.
mostly bronze swords and one has a steel breatplade one has bronze pants an done has a bronze helmet. and one has a steel sword. (the new militery system its too advanced for me, I dont know what I am doing AT ALL)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 09:45:42 am »

and they died again, the maces just kill them INSTANTLY and there about at least 15 macemen ON MY FIRST SIEGE how is sieges sopposed to be even beatable? its even worse as My crossbowmen just happily try and smack them over the head with the bow and of course die instantly just liek the other friggen wimpy ass excusses for soldiers I have even seen. :'( >:( even the war elephant didnt scratch those goblins and also died instantly. I thought they were legendary soldiers!

Hartman would be pissed. Maybe I should hire him as my drill instructer  :P

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 09:49:15 am »

look at the combat reports?

press r, see what happens.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 09:54:33 am »

look at the combat reports?

press r, see what happens.

They all get the skull jammed thru the brain and die. I savescummed AGAIN and I am trying to wait it out, its been about 2 seasons and they havnt leaved yet.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 10:01:55 am »

Just enjoy your year without all that hassle with the liason and the human diplomat. :)

The goblins will go away after a while, don't worry.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 10:18:06 am »

I've killed entire seiges with traps, repeating spikes, narrow bridges with running water over deep pits, etc. I've never actually used military dwarves for anything but ambush spotters from behind my walls.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 11:09:29 am »

and 15 is normal for a first siege. just wait till you wake up and find over a hundred goblins knocking on your door
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 11:31:20 am »

Have you ever read The Fantastic Mr. Fox? Just dig yourself an underground dwarven paradise from which to laugh at those stupid goblins sitting out in the cold.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 11:38:21 am »

my recent problem was a diplomat stuck inside during two consecutive sieges. he 'left unhappy'.

im finding that glass weapon traps are useless, but bronze weapon traps are effective, and stonefall traps are fairly weak. flying mounts for goblins means you need to roof over your trap areas. the common appearance of trolls means you need more bridges over pits. all in all, the face of siege warfare has changed considerably and we need new styles of defenses now. i find traps of 3 serrated bronze discs work fantastically, especially if you can raise bridge to clean and loot the traps between waves. having an animal outside the locked door but inside the traps does wonders as bait for attackers pathfinding as well.

the long version, its harder to build defenses, but defenses still work. which is good because the troops still wont train properly. not sure what to do there. the very serious problem is the flying goblins that kill the masons who were working on the roof, and the wonky pathfinding that creates sometimes.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 03:32:06 pm »

I wonder if , during sieges, you could set up a drawbridge catapult and somehow lure the liasion onto it, then throw him off the edge of the map.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 05:16:54 pm »

The Crossbowmen tried to "club" them with their weapons instead of shooting them?...

Dumb question, but did you make quivers and have bolts for them?.

Sieges are beatable, you just have to prepare with stratagey. I'll site my 40D Fortress Nitigrigoth, which gets NASTY sieges, and are getting nastier and nastier each time.

I have limited access to my fortress which is underground, the two actual entrances have lever controlled floodgates. Its all surrounded by battlements which can only be accessed from the underground fortress and allow my Marksdwarfs to run around ontop and shoot down at the goblins through fortifications. And there are close to a thousand cage traps on the surface. Designed in such a way as to break the enemy siege numbers.

Inside the fort, I have my 36 Champion Wrestlers, and at present, training Spear Dwarves. And 50+ Wardogs, all positioned at the staircases leading from the surfaces entrances. So, should a Siege be able to break through all that. They are my last line of defense.

Oh, and those levers are inside my fortress so that if I order my dwarves inside they can still operate them.

So far, I've only had one incident where an enemy siege got into my fortress. And that was through a weak spot I had not noticed. But they were taken care of. With only one champion injured. And she gained 4 titles in the process.

Even though 2010 is harder, I'm certain the same elements will apply.
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.
Pages: [1] 2