Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A randomize dwarves button in the embark preparation screen.  (Read 1276 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a thought that could help things go faster, and I'm sure this may have been suggested before. So, my idea is basically this, have a way to randomize the starting 7 dwarves while you are in the embark prep screen. It would of course, need a popup asking if you are sure you want to randomize it, to prevent accidential randomization of dwarves you want to keep.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: A randomize dwarves button in the embark preparation screen.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 08:35:28 pm »

This is a decent idea.

Of course, a "Slot machine"-type setup would be ideal, allowing you to "lock" dwarves you want to keep while randomizing the rest. Or simply randomizing on an individual basis.

This would, however, open up the possibility of people asking to be allowed to define their starting seven's characteristics entirely. Is that a good thing?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:21:52 pm »

Heh, I'm imagining the little dwarven happy faces going through the slot machine roullette.

There's something D&D 1st/2nd ed about simply being able to reroll your dwarves until you get the set you really want.  Of course, unlike D&D, where it effectively means that your character can be as good as your patience, and the patience of your spotter allows, and can have dramatic impact upon gameplay, the difference between having a dwarf with red hair and bushy sideburns or having certain preferences or even somewhat higher starting attributes is largely negligible over the long-term life of your fort, unless you want to go with some kind of Morul route.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 12:37:47 am »

When I play on maps with pits i usually re-roll my starting dwarves until I get someone with a pref for adamantine, who I then make in to my armorer.

Anyway for the randomization, I think it should be for the individual not the whole group, and i assume you mean their skills, not their personality and such, right?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:40:47 am »

You already buy their skills.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 12:18:40 pm »

Well, i still think randomizing their skills would be cool.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:32:59 pm »

When I play on maps with pits i usually re-roll my starting dwarves until I get someone with a pref for adamantine, who I then make in to my armorer.
I believe they are suggesting an option to do so without quitting out and finding a site all over again.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.