Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Plantlife thread  (Read 2402 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: Plantlife thread
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 03:32:43 pm »

*Plants that sprout creatures. Like a "fungal hive" that sprouts plant based creatures sutch as mushroom men.
*Plants that grow up and walk. they wouldbe rare but they could be pets. would be cool to see these be random. Plant Mbeast, anyone?
*Plants that grow in the ground. Such as truffles. Perhaps you dig them out and then can plant them in a special place so that you can harvest them.
*TREES GROWING FRUIT. WE MUST FINALY GET THIS!!!
*Plants that actualy Grow around like long vines.
*multi z-x-y level trees... I think toady once talked about this.
*Plants that grow in certain places. Like lord flower in LOTR. It grew only where the numenor had lived. Another option Is a plant/flower that grows only where, for injstance, an...urgh!... elf, has died. they could sprut opon death/place of life/birth :P  or spawn/sleep?/injury or blood spill/victory over enemy/ becoming child or adult/making of friends/making of enemies.
*Plant that grows in magma/watter but grows high so that you plant it on the surface of the liquid or someway and can harvest it from bridges above.
*Plant that Grows on inhabituble terrain, giving travelers the necesary resources to survive the harsh cold of a glacier or a wasteland. A saver of lives.
*A plant that can heal a person from a sickness. This would require a special proffecion of a healer. Perhaps even the ability to "gather Healing herbs" and store them in the hnospital.
*A plant that grows only near a wall and dose not need a floor below. I like vines.

Thats about all I can think of. Anything else?

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 04:19:11 pm »

Ok, just note that anything involving plants as creatures will be going in the "Iffy" pile (it overlaps with improved animal life suggestions).

Once the list gets a little bigger, i'll expand on and break down all of the suggestions into more categories.
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 04:34:04 pm »

Thick forests. Forests where you actually have to chop your way to a hill to dig into.

Jungles with thick plant life, like the kind machetes are used to get through. These plants would act like trees, but would not give wood on being cut. Heavily forested areas have crazy amounts of wood as-is, and regular trees in real life don't grow thickly enough for that anyway.

You know, even rainforests are not really so dense as to be impossible to make your way through, with the exception of the parts where rivers interface with the land (and plants will then set up a foliage wall to capture all the sunlight they can)...

In fact, in nature, forests are actually much less dense than forests are nowadays, thanks in no small part to human efforts at fighting forest fires and replanting deforested areas, and the way that forests are treated now in DF is not terribly far from realistic at all.  (Excepting of course the way that they only grow for their first year, and then remain about 10 feet tall.)

Aside from the fact that that sentence makes no sense, we're going for 1300s not 2000s. Not only were there very dense forests then, the word "forest" meant a treed region that was ruled over by one kingdom, and did not refer to the density of the trees themselves.
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 05:50:57 pm »

Could be fun to get raided by ents (and elves) if you were too quick to deforest the place.

Your woodcutters could be in for a surprise.

And I love the idea about plant-based vermin control.  Especially if they eat the damn things, rather than hiding them under your bed, the way kittens do.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 06:28:26 pm »

Thick forests. Forests where you actually have to chop your way to a hill to dig into.

Jungles with thick plant life, like the kind machetes are used to get through. These plants would act like trees, but would not give wood on being cut. Heavily forested areas have crazy amounts of wood as-is, and regular trees in real life don't grow thickly enough for that anyway.

You know, even rainforests are not really so dense as to be impossible to make your way through, with the exception of the parts where rivers interface with the land (and plants will then set up a foliage wall to capture all the sunlight they can)...

In fact, in nature, forests are actually much less dense than forests are nowadays, thanks in no small part to human efforts at fighting forest fires and replanting deforested areas, and the way that forests are treated now in DF is not terribly far from realistic at all.  (Excepting of course the way that they only grow for their first year, and then remain about 10 feet tall.)

Aside from the fact that that sentence makes no sense, we're going for 1300s not 2000s. Not only were there very dense forests then, the word "forest" meant a treed region that was ruled over by one kingdom, and did not refer to the density of the trees themselves.

It makes perfect sense. Before human clear cutting we had original growth forests in North America. In such forests before humans clearcut, very little light reaches the forest floor, and you had very little ground coverage growth, and instead extremely large trees. The same goes for the Rain Forest's of South America, if your in a fairly central location the ground coverage below the canopy is not very dense. And NW_Kohaku is absolutely correct in saying that where the Rain Forest and River meet causes extremely thick foliage, plants will try to cover as much area as possible.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2010, 06:42:56 pm »

It was just very obtusely worded: "in nature, forests are actually much less dense than forests are nowadays" didn't (and still kinda doesnt) make sense to me.

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 10:56:20 pm »

What about Underbrush type plant squares? Much of the problem navigating jungles and such is a result of the large amounts of plants you have to travel over or through. Such, without being cleared by the dwarves with something similar to a machete, would slow you down to a crawl.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 11:40:01 pm »

Ill add that in when i expand the jungle suggestion :)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 11:11:30 am »

Underbush is basically shrubs. but if you could hide there,,, thats something new.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 06:27:32 pm »

If this thread is going to be something major, I'd like to at least request a link to the Improved Farming thread, which has had a very long and serious discussion about farming.

Frankly, I don't think there's much need to be talking about different kinds of food plants so much...

I mean, really, would you be able to tell the difference in terms of game code between tubers and vine plants when it comes to farming as it is currently implimented?  We could mod in more plants now, but there really isn't much point, as there isn't any need for any sort of nutritional balance, and the only functional differences between one plant and another as far as food goes is that foods like quarry bushes and sweet pods provide five times the food of other plants, and are, hence, innately superior as a food product, with all others being simply there for a little variety or the textile industry.  This means that you can put in your marshmallows right now if you really wanted to, but if we are going to actually want more diversity in our foodstuffs as part of the vanilla game, what we really need is the coding to actually make the diversity matter.  That means either differences in the soil types that are required to grow those plants, or differences in nutritional values, which would be in one of the several "nutrition" threads.

I don't think that poisonous plants would be hard to make right now, although I haven't worked with those any, so long as you just make the flesh of the plant out of a material that gives symptoms.  The main problem with this is the need to be able to apply the poisons, which can be presumed to be in the works.  (Thorny plants can also be similarly implimented.)

Weeds are a suggestion heavily explored in the Improved Farming thread, with their potential use as a means of increasing the amount of labor one must place into the fields.  (Of course, this was before animals all but exploded with meat at the slightest touch...)

Growing trees are likewise a back-burner issue of Toady's, as it's a stated goal, and presumably, fruit-bearing trees should come along with that, since it's certainly been suggested often enough.  I think the problem with that stems from the odd way that all plants on farms are destroyed at the end of a year as part of the way that farms are programmed (which may, itself, be a stop-gap to a different problem), but that's pretty much just speculation on my part.

Ornamental plants are also linked to the above problem.  We'd really only need to have a means of making plants (flowers) count as a decoration to a room when in full bloom, and have them be seasonal to make that work.  (I also put that in the Pimp My Fort thread.)

Carnivorous trees, carnivorous plants, anthropromorphic trees etc. all can fall under a category of "creates a creature" plants, which are something people (myself included) have tried doing using things like the reactions mods. If Toady would want to do it directly, that's great, but it might come to us faster through the reaction method, if Toady ever wants to let the modders have their "golem mods".

edit: expanding third paragraph.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:32:03 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rebirthocool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 03:20:13 am »

my dwarves want some tobacky to go along with their drink
Pages: 1 [2]