Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mine the moon!  (Read 3372 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Mine the moon!
« on: July 04, 2010, 11:58:19 pm »

http://www.physorg.com/news197470000.html
Olivine found on the moon.  It's official.  In addition to digging too deep, we also need to be able to build too high, mine the moon, and dig too deeply in there too.

Also.  Depending on the world generated, the world could have a single or multiple moons, could have stationary or orbiting or rotating (any combination of these), a large or small moon.  Rocky cold wasteland or lush paradise, inhabited by creatures or not.  And of course, you can breathe in space and on the moon.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:01:19 am by Euld »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Mine the moon!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 01:10:27 am »

Worlds can already have multiple moons, I believe.   But building up to them would be kinda lame.   Though magical ways would be nice.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 07:42:51 am »

The moon will have rabbits useless bunnies that are only good for their sex appeal that can shoot suppositories, and a later, very controversial update will put in a pair of "boss" monsters that will defeat any champion in one hit.

(... sorry, couldn't resist the reference...)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:46:56 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:34:07 am »

I've been hoping for some sort of doorway to alternate planes. The moons could be one of them.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:49:17 am »

I've been hoping for some sort of doorway to alternate planes. The moons could be one of them.
*groan*

(That was the groan of knowing how much I would hate myself for still playing Dwarf Fortress if such a feature was implemented.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:15:23 am »

Not a moon. its just like diging in earth but upside down. There should be floating lands that you can 'catch' with your buildings of stairs. or heaven.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 05:42:31 pm »

Only if in digging too deep (high?) we find Dwarf Valhalla or something.
And then use the moon to rain lava down on elvens.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 05:44:24 pm »

Set z-levels for above-ground to few milion z and build dwarven space elevator. Problem solved!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 06:01:54 pm »

That would actually be pretty cool.

A ton of Einherjar made of all the dead dwarves in the history section (priority from your own fort) could rain down for divine retribution for the greed and hubris for defiling the land of the Gods.

You could unseal the lower HFS and the upper HFS at the same time, and watch the double cascade squish your fortress between the two onrushing tides.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 06:40:51 pm »

*groan*

(That was the groan of knowing how much I would hate myself for still playing Dwarf Fortress if such a feature was implemented.
Actually, alternate dimensions were planned as a feature for Dwarf Fortress from way back...  I recall one of the devpages mentioning it.  Or maybe it was something Toady said in one of the really early threads...  I have no idea if it's still going to be done, but it's something that's actually comparatively easy to do (compared to, say, time travel, at least) and which can have really awesome-looking effects, not to mention strange emergent applications.  If you've played Master of Magic you'll have a sense of what I'm talking about.  I also recall Banishment to the Abyss as one of the coolest features of Dungeon Crawl the first time you encounter it -- there's just sort of a 'ZOMG' factor to discovering that there's an entire other dimension that you can just access at any time with the right stuff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With that said, the game's metaphysics are not always clear.  We don't know what the moon(s) in DF are, how large they are, etc.  They might just be a big flower or a fruit or a wolf or something that someone put in the sky.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 07:18:07 pm »

*groan*

Actually, alternate dimensions were planned as a feature for Dwarf Fortress from way back...  I recall one of the devpages mentioning it.  Or maybe it was something Toady said in one of the really early threads...  I have no idea if it's still going to be done, but it's something that's actually comparatively easy to do (compared to, say, time travel, at least) and which can have really awesome-looking effects, not to mention strange emergent applications.  If you've played Master of Magic you'll have a sense of what I'm talking about.  I also recall Banishment to the Abyss as one of the coolest features of Dungeon Crawl the first time you encounter it -- there's just sort of a 'ZOMG' factor to discovering that there's an entire other dimension that you can just access at any time with the right stuff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With that said, the game's metaphysics are not always clear.  We don't know what the moon(s) in DF are, how large they are, etc.  They might just be a big flower or a fruit or a wolf or something that someone put in the sky.

In one of the DF Talks Toady made a passing reference to accidentally opening a portal to the plane of fire. I think it was the chat about artifacts. Also moon's in the Elderscroll series were alternate planes, and appeared as heavenly orbs due to mortal beings not being able to comprehend their true shape, or something along those lines. But I agree with you completely, DF moons could be anything... even just moons.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 07:28:59 pm »

The moon will have rabbits useless bunnies that are only good for their sex appeal that can shoot suppositories, and a later, very controversial update will put in a pair of "boss" monsters that will defeat any champion in one hit.

(... sorry, couldn't resist the reference...)
Reference to what?

My irresistible reference: That's no moon! Dig into it and you will find an army of very confused HFS, who have no idea why there are short little men digging through their base.

This must be done. Onin and the other norse gods were very dwarven anyway. They would love killing elves! Not to mention Einherjar came back to life every day after falling in battle...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 09:25:14 pm »

Reference to what?

I'll wait for someone to get it.  I know there are fans on this board.

My irresistible reference: That's no moon!

I was going to do that one, too, but felt it was too obvious and cheesy after already doing an inside reference.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 09:39:39 pm »

Reference to what?

I'll wait for someone to get it.  I know there are fans on this board.

Ah, you're withholding your explanation until someone who doesn't need it arrives.
Pages: [1] 2