Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50

Author Topic: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D  (Read 245343 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 01:49:00 am »

Sweet Holy Pants of Thor!

I knew that that was possible! Excellent work! I have to try this out!
Exclamation!!!!

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 01:59:00 am »

I've got some carved stone ramps in my giant multilevel crypt, and they're not displaying properly; only one corner is at the floor and the other three are high. Thought you might want to know. Also, the marble and hematite smoothed walls are displaying as wooden.
Still totally awesome, though.

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: Vanigo ]

Trukkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 03:06:00 am »

This is marvellous, good work!
He needs distractions to get through the working day.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 03:51:00 am »

buildings, constructions, creatures and such are currently invisible because map_extract doesn't know where they are yet. that's to come in future versions though.  :)

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 03:53:00 am »

Would be even better if that 3D area could be used for playing   :D
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 05:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kyselina:
<STRONG>Would be even better if that 3D area could be used for playing    :D</STRONG>

After seeing this, I suddenly think that this isn't as impossible anymore.

Will take several steps before one gets there though...

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 06:09:00 am »

My beard has just spontaneously combusted from all the awesome.

Urdimushil, Towerices:

And all of a sudden, my 15-level tower made of ice doesn't look that tall, hehe.

Small bug: when switching windowed/fullscreen modes it moves the perspective.
It also didn't catch any of the roads leading to the tower, except for the one that wasn't on thin ice (my guess is that it did catch them, but put the ice on top).

It would be nice if future versions detected the color of tiles and applied the same color over the textures.

iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 06:55:00 am »

Very cool   :)

Apart from the obvious (no constructed fortifications) it seems to have trouble with ramps.  I guess this is because ramps can be many things at once crammed into one tile, multiple ways to go up a level depending on the direction you travel and a hole that can be walked through.  I think you'll need a lot of different graphics to get them working perfectly.

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: Symmetry ]

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 07:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kyselina:
<STRONG>Would be even better if that 3D area could be used for playing    :D</STRONG>
pretty much impossible unless an opengl monk steps forward or sinoth and i manage to figure out a feasible way of speeding up things.

there just won't be enough performance to combine the gameplay engine and a 3d display to make playing in 3d feasible, nevermind the ui horror.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 07:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mithaldu:
<STRONG>pretty much impossible unless an opengl monk steps forward or sinoth and i manage to figure out a feasible way of speeding up things.

there just won't be enough performance to combine the gameplay engine and a 3d display to make playing in 3d feasible, nevermind the ui horror.</STRONG>

I fully agree for Fortress Mode, but would it be possible for Adventurer Mode?
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 07:50:00 am »

Going on what Mithaldu just said, and reiterating it. Dwarf Fortress right now is a massive hit to anyone PC, short of some top-or-better end computers. (Ironically, most people I've gotten to try Dwarf Fortress, came because they thought ASCII meant 'low performance hit')

Anyways, as I see things, the reason Dwarf Fortress still can run, is because symbols, don't require alot of power for any means. Compare a highly detailed (or even low-detail model) to a possibly just a few pixels, and you'll see what I mean. Dwarf Fortress still uses a large portion of what modern games use as well, but I believe thats its reasonable for DF to do that, simply because resources normally reserved for graphics are freed up. To play Dwarf Fortress, even if Toady had the time and initiative to implement them, in 3D, would require some sort of alien technology that I haven't heard of ^_^

That being said, this is an awesome utility, and great work y'all.

- Kayla

Edit: P.S. For anyone who can read what I read and comprehend it (Most everyone except myself can easily comprehend what I write), gets a cookie.

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 07:55:00 am »

cookies for one and all then!

*gobbles*

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 08:05:00 am »

Dwarf fortress is a cpu hit, but it's also single threaded. A dual or quad core cpu should have no trouble rendering a 3D version at the same time.

Making a 3d interface for DF would be a nightmare, but even if you don't a 3d view of the current game in a window while you play the ascii version would make make me happy.  If you had to manually force a refresh it would still be better than just ascii graphics for seeing what's going on, especially if it could visualise mining plans.

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: Symmetry ]

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 09:36:00 am »

Wouldn't it be possible to make an isometric 2 1/2-d version of the game? Something like either Stronghold or Stronghold: Crusader? (Why is it I keep bringing up these two games?) I mean, its technically 2-d, and it could use the same z-axis mechanics that we have now, where you view one slice at a time. It'd make creating an interface a lot easier, I think.

For those of you unfamiliar with Stronghold, click here.
For those of you unfamiliar with isometric 3-d, click here.

A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 10:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Symmetry:
<STRONG>Dwarf fortress is a cpu hit, but it's also single threaded. A dual or quad core cpu should have no trouble rendering a 3D version at the same time.

Making a 3d interface for DF would be a nightmare, but even if you don't a 3d view of the current game in a window while you play the ascii version would make make me happy.  If you had to manually force a refresh it would still be better than just ascii graphics for seeing what's going on, especially if it could visualise mining plans.</STRONG>

map_extract reads the current map directly from memory. so if you want you can just keep DF running, launch the batch to extract the map, then load up the 3d viewer and putter around in it, then switch back to the game, play some more, export again, etc.

sinoth could probably implement the memory thing in the 3d viewer, but i'm sure that you guys want him to concentrate on making things nicer for now.

i'm currently wondering if i should buckle down and finalize mine for unix and mac users, or concentrate on improving map_extract. has anyone run sinoth's tool in wine yet?

-----

@Reasonableman:

And who would create all the ingame art? Nevermind the effort of toady coding links of ingame actions to art and then worrying about timing that stuff.

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: Mithaldu ]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50