Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Creation Forge - A Useful Custom Workshop  (Read 21623 times)

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creation Forge - A Useful Custom Workshop
« on: July 05, 2010, 12:02:04 pm »

This is a simple workshop I modded in to help test custom reactions, buildings, and creatures. It's used to create various different items so that you don't have to set up an entire fortress to test some reactions. Hopefully it's a useful tool to people, even if it's just to look at the raw formatting. Questions, comments, requests, amazing success stories, CAPITALIZED rants about how this workshop caused all of your precious booze to explode? Post 'em here.

Create a new .txt file in raw/objects titled building_mod.txt and put this in it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Create another .txt file titled reaction_mod.txt in raw/objects and put this in it.

Add the following lines to your existing entity_default.txt in raw/objects.

Remember, adding new buildings or reactions to an existing world will not work. You must generate a new world after adding these files to raw/objects and adding lines to entity_default.

If you are in dire need of shells (which are frustratingly difficult to make in a custom reaction), a good solution is to add the [SHELL] tag to other materials - such as hooves - so that they can be used instead. The file with materials in it is material_template_default.txt in raw/objects, or in your existing world's raw/objects folder.

EDIT: Added rough clear diamond.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:19:34 pm by Shukaro »
Urist McHauler Cancels Give Food: Patient Insane
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mouse Fortress | Custom Menu and Hotkey Framework
Dwarven Higher Learning Mod | Alternative Skill Training

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creation Forge - A Useful Custom Workshop
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 02:56:45 pm »

THIS WORKSHOP CAUSED ALL OF MY BOOZE TO EXPLODE

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 03:01:19 pm »

The idea is very well done. I personally wouldn't of named the reactions FREE_whatever.

Good job though! It all looks in order.

My booze mildly boiled.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 06:19:30 pm »

Yeah, I just found it annoying testing say, a steel alloy reaction, and having to set up the whole steel industry just for that. I figured this might save others some time too. As for the FREE_ names, it seemed descriptive and as good as any, I just wanted something to put at the beginning of all the reactions in case I needed to wipe modifications out of my entity_default. Also, spontaneous booze explosion is a serious problem that should not be joked about.

Only you can prevent sobriety.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 06:47:10 pm »

Well what I did was ... Well what I have right for now, it changes depending on fort and mods.

The custom building I made is bright pink. It stands out a lot and it's kind of nice.

I never have to worry about changing the entity_default...

And the reactions, the name that the player sees is the only thing that is changed. Also notice that there are 26 reactions therefore a - z for hot keys.

This way you don't have to worry about changing any REACTION:CHEAT stuff. It's just easier IMO

(If you want me to remove mine from here I will... don't want to make you upset.)
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:01:53 pm »

Oh no, it's fine, always nice to see a different approach to a problem. I just wanted to give people a good start when it comes to reactions and buildings.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:10:28 pm »

That's why I worked on my guide a lot. I should work on it more, but I really don't have the drive to want to do anything... that is for the last few days.

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 07:18:37 pm »

Your guide was extremely helpful in figuring out the different tokens that changed with 31.x, top notch stuff. As for the problem of drive, well, it happens to all of us now and then, all I can say is that you aren't obligated to handhold anyone if you don't want to.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 07:30:32 pm »

I know. It was a lot of fun to work on the guide though. It's a shame it isn't stickied... Well doesn't much matter presently, but that's aside from the point.

My drive will come from putting the new motor in my Nova.

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 07:32:23 pm »

You people and your novas, putting my junky camry to shame. Hehe.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 07:44:58 pm »

When it's done, it'll put a lot more than a camry to shame. I'm just happy it's a 75... because it's a 75... It saved my life.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 09:00:48 am »

I think that it might be good to put your guide all onto one single html page.
I may not agree with some of your modding technique, but you figured it all out before the rest of us

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 02:24:25 pm »

Well that's what I've been working towards. I have that wiki page for a reason. As I complete more information, I'll throw it up on the wiki and remove it from the forum thread so I can work on something else.

Out of curiosity, what about it do you not agree with?

astronom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 01:19:54 pm »

workshop is not built = (
DF2010

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 02:04:34 pm »

Some more information would be helpful. For example, tell me exactly what you did, and what exactly happened. Also, you can't add new workshops/reactions to an existing world, so that might be the issue.
Pages: [1] 2