Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 286334 times)

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1725 on: January 09, 2013, 05:16:29 pm »

I don't really mind what gender my dwarf is. I just wanted one. Also, you think 20 children is a lot? One fortress of mine had over 85 before I lost the save file!

All in one family?  ::)
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Pittsy

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me get the paper cup!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: January 09, 2013, 08:03:55 pm »

Feasible, albeit unlikely as Dorfs birth once a year. Since they have 100+ year lifespans and become adults at age 12, one could get that many. My record was 39 and stopped when the husband died in a cave-in.

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 09, 2013, 10:45:50 pm »

(OOC: Sad to see this winding down to a close but then again we all knew one day it would. None the less, best of luck to you Battle Cat wherever your story leads. But for now...)

Diary of Frontestro Rithzammedtob. Entry 255.

Today was a good day, diary. Well, for me it was, I have vanquished my first foe here at the fortress and proven my worth as a member of Towersoared's army. A great forgotten beast made of glass found its way into our farm in the first cavern where it attacked members of our community. I arrived in time to find in strangling one of our engravers. With my (still steel) spear I tried my best to pierce it's hard glass hide but only manged to chip it here and there. Quickly another one of our warriors by the name of Prometheus arrived and we double teamed the glass giant. I thought the glass elephant man would never fall until I saw an opening, some defect located where the neck joins the head. With a deft strike its head popped  right off like a cork from a shaken wine bottle and the bloody damn thing disintegrated. I was shocked until Prometheus congratulated me on the kill. Me, a Forgotten Beast slayer... if only mum could see me now... I hope Balta will be alright poor bloke was a smashed up from the encounter, but if anyplace can fix him up that'd be our doctors. Heh, feels weird, when i first arrived here I thought this was the land of beer and honey, now I can only see it and the dwarfs of this place as me home an' family.
Long Last Towersoared.

~Thought of the Day: Tis better to drink and get drunk than ne'er to have drunk at all.~

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 10, 2013, 05:08:02 pm »

Well, not in one family, but it is still impressive. There were a lot of idlers in that fort.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 19, 2013, 08:36:47 pm »

ptw

automaton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: February 20, 2013, 12:11:52 pm »

bump

Deus Morti

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: February 24, 2013, 11:18:36 am »

Well, I read the whole thread over the course of two days; quite possibly the most exhilirating thing I've ever done.

I'm somewhat disappointed I've missed the window for dorfing, but such is life.

A late congratulations to everyone who's been involved up to this point!
Seal off your fortress and make it impregnable, then use screw pumps to flood every inch of that town in magma. Either that or dig too deep and watch as the circus comes to town. Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
A goblin daycare center, a Dwarven cat herd on the move. A kobold cautiously trying to steal a tooth from a clear crystal Plains Titan[...]

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: March 15, 2013, 10:26:45 pm »

Its been a while so might as well bump it.

automaton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: May 09, 2013, 06:03:42 am »

bump

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: May 11, 2013, 07:57:47 pm »

Yeah, if at all possible, I'd like to see this thrive once more. Towersoared is too good to die without a proper ending.

Edit: I sent a PM to Battlecat, so we'll know the status of Towersoared soon enough.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:13:46 pm by Argonnek »

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: May 17, 2013, 10:28:15 am »

Cog’s Journal, 4th of Slate 326

Well Balta is officially lucky to be alive.  I just received his injury report and treatment plan.  Dear gods, how is he still alive?

Spoiler: Balta's Injuries (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Balta's Treatment Plan (click to show/hide)

Mercifully he's still unconcious, but we have high hopes that he'll actually wake up again. 

In the meantime, we're ignoring the beast in the second cave level in favor of trying to clear the adamantine mines.  Our scouts and workers in the depths have reported seeing only a single flame breathing demon in the area.  If our archers can kill it, we could theoretically dispatch the rest with our regular military. 

On a separate note, the final dwarf naming I feel obligated to take care of.  I found the request paperwork in a corner behind my cabinet and apparently it never got filed or made official.  Our assistant medical dwarf wanted a new name.  He is now known as Archimedes. 

Spoiler: Archimedes the Doctor (click to show/hide)

Events of the 7th of Slate 326

Thatdude once again found herself in the depths of the fortress gazing through the fortifications at an moronic group of demons.  A few horned brutes and a snow banshee.  No sign of the target fire demon. 

So, one shot, two and three.  Another horned brute dead.  Sazir came up beside Thatdude and began to shoot as well.  A second horned brute dead, a pincusion of arrows.  That was all for the first area.  On to the second zone but first she needed to reload.

Ren found himself looking through the fortifications at yet another horned brute.  He fired half a dozen arrows until one bit home, killing the monster.  But still, no fire beast. 

Adker found himself up in the new northern fortifications.  There was a white specter and a horned brute behind the wall.  Him and Sazir began firing and chewing them down.  Then suddenly, the flame spectre walked around the corner.  Adker adjusted his fire quickly and let loose another arrow . . . .

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The spectre exploded in a spectacular ball of flame.  It was dead.  The flame beast was dead!  Adker cheered and then looked over at Sazier in time to see him slump to the floor with a sigh.  “How do those BLOODY pterosaurs keep getting this crap on me?!  THIS IS MY THIRD DAMN FEVER THIS MONTH!” 

Adker shrugged.  He needed more arrows.  Besides, he could now report the good news to Cog. 

Cog’s Journal, 11th of Slate 326

So apparently the flame beast is finally dead.  After a break, the archers can go hunt the forgotten beast in Cave level 2.  The miners are currently excavating a new batch of obsidian at the factory, but once they're done, they can excavate the hallway in preparation for the assault to reclaim the adamantine mines. 

I expect Derm and the rest of the military will be exceedingly happy about this! 

OOC: Sorry for my long absence once again.  No good explanation, it’s just been a really rough life lately.  Actually, the above is the first time I've even been able to fire up DF in the past 4 months.  At least my little girl is doing well; no worries on that front. 

The hardest part about prepping for ending this fortress is all the things I’ll never get to finish.  But such is life I suppose, nothing lasts forever, and Towersoared was sort of designed to never be finished.  My goal at this stage is to put something of a “period” at the end of the fortress and we’ll see how it goes from there.  By the way, my wife is officially tasked with nagging me to get this done now, so there should be an update again soonish.  At least killing that bloody fire beast was re-invigorating.  Trying to clear the deadly demons out of the tunnels has been exceptionally boring.

@

@Paaaad: Yeah, your dwarf lucky to be alive!

@TheFlame52: Yeah, there is an insane number of children in this fortress as well.  No third generation yet, but they are mostly still quite young.

@Pittsy: Assuming nothing bad happens to Amsel and Vucar, I see no reason why they wouldn’t continue.

@Frontestro: Yeah, I’m sad to be winding it down as well, but I really can’t leave this hanging with my inability to update, as evidenced by the past months.

@automaton: Thanks for your interest in keeping this alive!  Your long overdue new dwarf is introduced above. 

@Deus Morti: Thanks for your interest, sorry that the window had to be closed.

@Argonnek: Thanks for contacting me with your concern, I can’t promise this will thrive but I do promise to at least put some finishing touches on this.  The unexpected success at killing of that fire demon should help accelerate those plans immensely. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:38:15 pm by Battlecat »

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: May 23, 2013, 03:11:02 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 15th of Slate 326

Today I just did a walk around the fortress to check up on things and see if anything interesting was going on.  I decided to start down in Triaxx's tower since I was already down there issuing the dig orders to clear out the route to the demons.  I discovered that at least one of our forgotten beasts has been butchered and added to our food supply.  I couldn't help but laugh. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are lots of things going on right now.  We're filling the obsidian factory for the first time in what seems like an age.  Construction on the walls is proceeding at a great pace and it appears we have more materials of certain types that we'll ever need. 

But today it did occur to me that it's been some time since I ordered a batch of engraving.  I'm sure the engraving team will be happy to decorate the south industrial corridor since it is still incomplete.  Always good to keep everyone busy.  Speaking of which, a couple more children came of age this year.  I'm going to apprentice them as furnace operators since we still have absurd quantities of ores scattered around the fortress.  Not to mention, the sheer volume of random goblin items. 

Cog’s Journal, 4th of Felsite 326

The reconstruction of Balta is continuing.  He's doing well, no sign of infection or any other complications.  But it's taking a long time to suture, brace and repair the severe injuries he received.  On the bright side, during his brief moments awake in the past few days, he's been smiling. 

Spoiler: Status of Balta (click to show/hide)

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Felsite 326

Sigh, another Kobold siege.  I guess we'll get the military warmed up before sending them down to deal with the remaining demons to secure the adamantine mines. 

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: May 23, 2013, 06:00:44 pm »

It's always good to see an update. This is a masterfully crafted fortress.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: May 23, 2013, 08:37:10 pm »

Oh hey! I'm a centerion! Or whatever the word is! I'm also down a tooth, and that's pemenent... Yea... This is going to be a while...
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Pittsy

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me get the paper cup!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: May 24, 2013, 12:07:03 pm »

From the Journal of Pittsy Pagetongs, Miner

I have these dreams, sometimes. More like nightmares, really. In it, I am falling, and falling, yet never moving and all about me the other dwarves stare and scream, and then i wake up. I don't quite know what it means, but a few of those elf-loving water drinkers in engraving sometimes point and say "He's the one who fell through time". It probably means nothing.

As a miner, I am always looking for new ways to test my skills. Imagine my joy at us breaching the infernal depths, so many new things to kill, and the greatest challenge of all, the demonic stone. Slade. I have heard tales of the mighiest miners breaking away the stuff, before taking it back upwards to be forged into walls that no demon could ever destroy, and hammers that could smite the very gods. I went to Cog, begging his permission to plunge deeper into the depths to mine the stone under the supervision of the great champion Derm. I was so sure I could impress the great warrior with this, and so sure I could get Cog to see the stone as I see it. But, it was not to be. Our Overseer just shook his head and said "I cannot allow it, Pittsy. The sacred metal, Adamantine, is more than sufficient for our needs. Besides, slade is the stone of Hell, there is no telling what would happen if we tampered with it. In fact, I believe no Dwarf should mine that stone, there are some things that should be let alone."

Bloody elf-lover.

That night, another dream visited me. Not the one where I fall, but rather, one of inspiration. Towersoared, Tower-Soared, Tower-Sword. I laughed aloud and ran down to the forges, where Fenix the smith did his work.

"Fenix," I cried, he turned and regarded me with his forge-burned eyes and tilted his head. "Imagine," I continued, "imagine our warriors marching to meet our foes with great swords! Yes, Towersoared, home of the towering swords! If humans can wield such weapons, why not us? There are legends about a human demon slayer, Guts Hawkband the Steel Handed, he wielded a blade more akin to a raw slab of iron and he slew devils by the score! Imagine our champions with such blades, they would be truly unstoppable!"

Fenix snorted, said "Are you sober? Those swords are far too big!", and turned back to his work.

Water drinking, elf-loving, goblin buggerer.

(OOC) Man I have needed to do that journal post, instead of just lurking around all the time.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118