Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 286677 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2010, 02:34:06 pm »

When you put together your worship list, you forgot me.

... :(
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2010, 03:09:19 pm »

When you put together your worship list, you forgot me.

... :(

Sorry about that!  Your name is actually in the original list along with the deity your dwarf worships but somehow it didn't make it into the final post.  I might have missed your dwarf when I was copying the list over. 

I've updated the original post, Urist Imiknorris is a casual worshipper of Imketh Stylesmile, the same deity that Cog worships. 

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2010, 08:13:49 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 23rd of Granite, 304

Today 20 new immigrants arrived.  That brings our population up to 55.  There was a whole variety of skills in the group including a fairly talented blacksmith and a pair of engravers.  I’ll be putting many of them to work as quickly as possible.  Sadly there weren’t any miners, so I’ll be assigning four unskilled workers to help Catten and Rogue with the dining hall and other future projects.  This is only the first of many excavation projects that will have to be done; it’ll take a decade to finish the first project without more workers. 

Of course we don’t have any spare picks yet, but Rogue is a pretty talented weaponsmith so I’ve asked her to put together a few weapons, including some picks and battleaxes for our military.   

Cog’s Journal, 5th of Hematite, 304

It’s been a busy but uneventful few months recently.  Digging has gone smoothly and trading with the elves was profitable once again.  They brought decent amounts of wood, booze and food again.  I even found a good reason to buy up a few boxes of cloth to produce bags for sand collection since our glassmakers are using sand faster than it can be collected lately. 

Unfortunately, the quite times have come to an end for now.  Today I received word that Nightwing has once again returned to our area.  I’ve ordered everyone inside until we decide whether the military is ready to take this beast on or not. 

Cog’s Journal, 6th of Hematite, 304

Well that simplifies things immensely.

While the military was trading in their training weapons for some fresh iron weapons we hear a bang out near the quarry entrance and then a horrifying screech of frustration.  The military rushed out there a quickly as they could and found Nightwing trapped in one of the cage traps Pawn set up to see if we could capture any of the local wildlife.  Derm the Soulchopper is a bit disappointed he didn't get to take his soldiers out hunting though.

I’m certainly open to suggestions about what to do with this beast.  At this point I’m leaning towards letting the military practice on it or putting it into a zoo. 

(OOC): I can't believe it just flew into a cage after all the trouble it's caused.  Let me know if you have any ideas what to do with Nightwing. 

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2010, 08:23:00 pm »

keep it chained in a high traffic area... wcpgw? (wat could possibly go wrong) 8)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:19:04 am by Scaraban »
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2010, 11:20:28 pm »

Journal of Catten

"Today, a group of migrants passed by the dig site for the dining room. I could tell, because they all popped their mugs in with wide eyes to see what was going on. I suppose you had to hear about it, decide to pause your life to go to it, and then see it, before you can actually believe it. Well, I hope they are believers now.

Cog gave me two helpers (and Rogue) two. I'm going to set things strait and make sure these guys have plenty of opportunity to get experience. After all, I've been charged with getting them to learn to mine.

In other news, a bunch of elves passed by as well. Saw them over the tip of the sides of the dig site. They looked in with wide eyes as well, followed by a kind of glee I believe found only in folks whom find something very odd, that is better than the low standard that they expected of it. Feh. Stupid elves.

Cog seems to be blabbing positive things about them, but the truth is that we aren't people to them. We're animals, waiting to be milked.

The nightwing returned. I saw it, screamed and prepared to run. Only this time, I went strait inside. We came out a minute later (after hearing loud distressed cries) and saw it. Trapped. In a cage. On the ground?

Pawn has created a flying trap. Oh god. Wait, thats not it. It flew into the trap.

I say we butcher it and see how it likes us now. Serves it right for chasing me."
Meowth! That's right!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2010, 11:44:06 pm »

*Rubs hands together* Oh boy I'll have some Fun with this. Give me your best male bone carver, and name him Martini. What?
Un the mean time I'll get ready to write, and boot up lego digital designer.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2010, 09:20:15 am »

I second the idea of military practice.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2010, 09:29:42 am »

Pawn has created a flying trap.

If only, if only.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2010, 05:00:39 pm »

Epic trap is epic.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2010, 06:39:41 pm »

flying trapeze mebbe
Meowth! That's right!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2010, 10:49:30 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 10th of Malachite, 304

The second level of the quarry has finally been excavated.  Immediate work is beginning on clearing the third level.  Also, apparently somebody forgot to inform met that Geshud Likotsat, our local Legendary Gem Setter was elected as mayor almost 6 months ago.  She stomped into my office today to inform me that until she got her private office and dining room, the export of crossbows is strictly prohibited. 

As for the future of Nightwing, that’s still up for debate.  So far Catten has informed me that she would like to see it butchered while Urist Imiknorris thinks it would be handy for military training.  The two things certainly aren’t mutually exclusive except for the fact that we don’t have a trained butcher yet. 

Events of the 19th of Galena, 304

Sazir Tishisamot the Ranger was out hunting.  Honestly, there wasn’t much reason to do so, there wasn’t much game, let along a butcher in the place.  But he didn’t have anything more interesting to do and it was a nice break from hauling rocks.  Cog hadn’t mentioned anything about not hunting anyhow. 

As he stalked through the sand near the glassworks building he spotted movement near a cactus.  He quietly took aim with his crossbow and watched as a Kobold popped out of the trees and began skulking towards the fortress entrance.  Suddenly, it spotted him and let out a shriek of surprise.  Any other average dwarf would have started running right about then, but not Sazir.  He quickly let a bolt fly and there was a satisfying thunk into the Kobold’s leg.  He reloaded quickly with his last bolt and fired a second one into it’s abdomen. 

The Kobold let out a moan, staggered a few paces and the collapsed to the ground unconscious.  Sazir went to draw a third bold, but his quiver was empty.  He wasn’t a trained soldier, so rather than finishing the creature off, he headed back to the fort to let the military know that there was a dying Kobold to clean up. 

But by the time the military got to where the Kobold had fallen, all that was left was a trail of bloody footprints leading off into the desert. 

Cog’s Journal, 25th of Galena, 304

Those slippery little Kobolds are nothing but trouble.  At least Sazir bloodied that one for its trouble.  I keep expecting the other foot to fall; we’ve had several goblin snatchers and thieves lurking around the region as well.  It’s only a matter of time before the first goblin raiding party shows up.  I’m going to reassign Sazir to train as a marksdwarf.  Apparently he’s already fairly experienced. 

Of course to train a marksdwarf requires a lot of practice bolts.  Fortunately, a young hauler named Martini has expressed interest in becoming a permanent bone carver.  He’s not very skilled yet, but the production of bone bolts is a great place to start.  While our bone supply is pretty pitiful right now, our animal population is rising.  We should be able to reach self sufficient in meat in a few years time.

(OOC): @Scaraban: Sounds about as safe as accidently releasing an untrained dragon from a cage.  :-)

@breadbocks: Welcome aboard!  Oddly enough, there really isn’t any talent in bonecarving yet; this guy is the highest ranked at dabbling.  Hope he suits you!  I’ve gotten him started on bolt production to train up our first marksdwarf but I’ll intersperse the odd batch of crafts in as well.  You never know, he might accidently offend the elves after all. 

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2010, 11:04:48 pm »

Cool. In the mean time, I've been working on a design for what to do with *it*. It is a 22x22 white stone block, with black iron *block* corners, pyramid in honor of the gods, with the last 3 levels chopped off, to reveal a hollow interior, with the fierce Nightwing on a steel chain (Yes. I'm aware of the lack of coal. But it must be done to withhold NW.) inside in the middle. The trapping of Nightwing was a message from the gods, all mighty, to make sacrifices to them. It shall have the hole covered with a retracting bridge, on which we place the prisoners to die.
OOC: I'll get up some images and maybe a diary later.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you implement this, which you should, it's the only megaproject for NW, have a character in a strange mood, preferably possesed say it. If no moods in the next update, I say have Pawn say it, because it was his trap.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:51:06 pm by breadbocks »

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2010, 11:28:02 pm »

I'll take that blacksmith immigrant you mentioned. No name requests or anything.

Oh, and I can't see quite a few of the images here. Do you know anything about that?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2010, 02:54:27 pm »

The events of the 26th of Galena, 304

Urist was making her way back to the main fortress from the new bedrooms when she heard a rustling sound in the cloth storage.  Trading with the humans hadn’t started yet and there weren’t any active work orders that she was aware of.  She caught Derm the Soulchopper as he was walking into the barracks. 

“I think there’s somebody lurking in the cloth storage!  You’d better come along in case it’s a thief.”  The two dwarves made their way inside and found Adil Keskalbiban the weaver digging through boxes throwing cloth all over the room.  Suddenly she noticed them, let out a quiet gasp and dashed back into the back corner of the clothiers out of sight.  A stack of papers were brushed off the table and sent blowing around the room. 

Urist bent over and picked several up.  They were crude drawings of all manner of things.  Leather, cloth, gems and most worrisome, a drawing of shells.  Ursit looked over his shoulder at Derm the Soulchopper, “Do we even have any shells?” 

Derm the Soulchopper looked back at the workshop where Adil had started drawing again.  “I don’t know, but I think we’d better let Cog know and find out.” 

The events of the 28th of Galena, 304

Trading was going quite smoothly, the humans were being generous as always.  Ber wiped his brow and smiled.  A snapping click of a trap being sprung near the entrance drew his attention.  He glanced towards the front door and then ran down into the main fortress yelling “Goblin ambush, we’ve got goblins at the gate! 

But with a continuing round of snaps and crashes, the remaining goblins were quickly captured in cages or crushed by the stonefall traps.  Ber glanced back at the entranced and then at Derm the Soulchopper who was looking quite irritated at being called to yet another false alarm.  “I guess we’d better move things back further so you have time to respond before Pawn’s traps take care of everything in the area. 

Then Ber looked out front again and saw more goblins approaching.  He looked at Derm the Soulchopper, “Well there you go then.”

Derm the Soulchopper charged across the bridge at one of the goblin spearman, missed and tripped over the edge of the drawbridge into the moat below.  The goblin jumped in behind him but he recovered in time to deflect the goblins attempt to put the spear through his chest.  The two traded blows for several minutes before Derm the Soulchopper finally got a solid shot straight into the goblins chest, right through its leather armor. 

The goblin gasped in pain, the wound beginning to bleed profusely.  Derm the Soulchopper drew back his axe and took a second shot into the exact same place.  The goblin collapsed to the ground, taking the axe with it since it was now firmly lodged in the goblins chest.  He looked around, the goblins were dead and only one of his soldiers was uninjured.  The battle was quite exhilarating.  “Excellent first battle everyone!”  He looked at Fikod who was nursing a nasty cut on her arm.  “You’d better go see the doctor about that one.  You’re sure lucky one arrived in the last migration.” 

OOC: @breadbocks: That should be doable, I’ve certainly got enough marble to build that.  Steel will be a bit more of a problem, but I’m sure there’s more wood in the caves down deeper.  Plus I ordered lots of wood from the dwarves last year.  I’ve realized that Nightwing isn’t actually a unique creature so I might be able to tame it, unless of course it’s possible to chain untamed creatures.  Going to have to look into that.   

@nbonaparte: The blacksmith is named Minkot Voderith, he’s been working steadily away at making quite a bit of furniture out of metal, particularly barrels and bins since we have so little wood.  As for the missing images, I post my images to imageshack, it looks like one of their servers might be down.  Thanks for letting me know, I'll keep an eye on things and reload the images if necessary.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2010, 03:21:11 pm »

I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 118