Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 285282 times)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 07:46:49 pm »

(OOC): @alxnotorious: Thanks very much, I’m very happy with how that round of text came out.  I can certainly arrange for Asmel to be a long term mooch if you’d like.  He’ll probably just wind up occasionally carrying things around.  If you change your mind, there certainly will be enough call for glassmaking to train him up. 

Also, feel free to add your own responses in character if you feel inclined.  I do intend for this to be a community fortress as well. 

Cogs Journal, 1st of Granite, 303

I spent the last several days out in the desert marking out some of my plans.  There is easily enough room for my plans and I’ve had Urist mark out several reference points for the future. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I’ve certainly gotten a few glares from her since I’ve mostly just had her making stone blocks lately.  I had to promise up and down that I’d be requesting statues from her soon, and I intend to keep it. 

I wish she could see the necessity of the blocks as well.  I guess I’ll have to put the finishing touches on my first designs for the New Year celebration.  While it doesn’t use a lot of stone construction, it certainly will help illustrate the scale of my plans. 

Cogs Journal, 25th of Obsidian, 302

To know where one is going, it’s good to know where you’ve been.  After a full year, this is the summary of our stocks I’ve put together are the current bookkeeper.

I really need to hand that job off to someone else once our population rises a bit.  I’d rather focus on planning and coordinating construction.  I’ve also just finished up my survey of the land deeded to Towersoared.  Here are my initial architectural drawings with a few notes. 

Towersoared at the end of Obsidian, 302

alxnotorious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 08:51:04 pm »

Thanks a bunch Battlecat! And yeah, it's fine if he stockpiles stuff occasionally. I just wanted to fool around with that dwarf a bit.

I like that you did with the magma smelters btw. Usually I just place mine along a long channel and it looks unsightly. I never thought of just leading the magma under a room and then channeling it out like a well.
WAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRBBBLLLGARRBBLE. THE KING OF HAND CREAMS HAS SENT YOU HERE, AND THE POD IS THE THRONE OF THE GOBLIN EMPEROR. DESTROY ALL UNBELIEVERS.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 11:14:06 pm »

Journal of Catten Ubalmafob

"Today, I mined. I mined some more. And guess what? I mined some more.

I hate this place. I have to admit. I was hoping for some kind of utopia place where work was gratified by pay. And pay was gratified by fine booze. But no. All I've had is that same Armok-be-damned dwarven wine. Hell, I even drank a sip of water to refresh my taste buds. Just plump helmets and things drawn from them. Perhaps I can convince someone to let me become a chef in my spare time.

It has been a year. All that I have to show for it is a shitty bed in a shitty room in a shitty hole in the ground. Its freezing half the time, and when it isn't, my skin is smoldering surely as hot coals in a forge.

However, things were not all that bad. I got to dig near magma. The hot stuff is quite mesmerizing I must admit.

So things are good overall. I was able to dig out a lot of the space we are using. The stupid liason commented on how unkempt the walls are. I hope they don't look that bad. Everyone seems pleased with me. This is good.

Soon, they'll all learn."
Meowth! That's right!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 01:12:44 am »

Cog’s Perspective, 1st of Granite, 303, New Year Celebration

I stood at the front of our rather crowded dining hall and called for silence.  Just about every dwarf was in attendance for today’s celebration. 

“All right everyone, I’ve got a couple things to say and then I’ll let you get back to the party.

Thank you all for your hard work in ensuring our survival through our first year in this harsh place.  Despite many challenges and several dangers, we have made it through our first year here in fine form! 

As many of you know, my reasons for being here are entirely due to disagreements with people back home over what our mountain home should look like.  They chose not to listen to me and now I am effectively exiled.  That exile will not stop me from showing them how wrong they were about my ideas.  So starting tomorrow we will begin construction on the first of many projects that will make this the greatest fortress ever seen in our world.   

Some of you have complained about a lack of chairs in our rather undersized dining hall.  This project should finish that.  I present to you, the initial blueprints of the Grand Dining Hall of Towersoared.”

With that, I pulled out a copy of my blueprints and laid them on the table:

“As you can see, from the top it is a full 100 tiles long.  We’ll be decorating the area with a fair number of statues.  Ideally we’ll be using a mixture of stone and metal statues but time will tell what will be the best bet.  As for the cross section of the hall, that’s over here on this page.” 

The hall will extend 17 floors below the current ground level and 8 floors above with a green glass roof.  The first large block of living quarters will overlook the dining hall through windows that will be built by our glass makers and gem crafters.  I’ll see about getting the first blocks of rooms scheduled after the first couple levels of the dining hall are excavated.

There are many other tasks that will keep the rest of you quite busy as this project gets started.  This is only the beginning of our grand plans, but all grand things must start somewhere.

One last thing, and then you can get back to your drinks.  While I have no shortage of ideas for the future of this place, even I’m willing to admit that I’m not the only one who can conceive of incredible things.  While I may technically be the leader, there is no doubt that it is "our" fortress, each and every one of us.  If any of you have ideas that you would like to see here, especially anything you think would have been scoffed at back in mountain home, I’m interested in hearing it!

Now get back to your drinks and enjoy the day!”

@alxnotorious: excavating under the room like that works quite nicely.  It works for any tile except the middle of the workshop where the dwarf typically works.

@Tuxman: Nice update, looks like Catten is having a rough year.  Hopefully the next one will start to improve things. 

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 10:13:38 am »

Nice blueprint. What program are you using for it? And is it really  24 z levels high? Damn... make sure you don't breach the cavern with it.  Are those bedrooms overlooking it?

Catten's Journal

"The boss announced the plans to build a grand dining hall. I was in awe for the sheer audacity required to even think of a structure of that magnitude. I'm starting to like this place.

So I decided to dig up whatever ideas I had made on the trip here along with pipe dreams from my childhood to find some ideas. It appears bedrooms will be covered by this structure...

But this will be something for the mountainhomes to balk at. I mean, the entire mountainhome could probably fit in this thing. I'm glad I get to dig it.

We sung my favorite song at the party today, "!!Elves!! for Armok!" That allways raises my spirits. I'm ready to dig.

Well. I have to sharpen my shovel for the ahead work. This will be a sight to remember."
Meowth! That's right!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 12:58:57 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 25st of Granite, 303

Well, my assessment that we’d have more than enough food to get through the year might be a bit off if we don’t get really busy on the farms.  Just look what’s happened to our population today:

18 new dwarves arrived today, including two talented engravers and a mason.  I’ve assigned Urist Imiknorris the role of Head Stoneworker to keep track of what they are up to.  It’s all unofficial of course, since there isn’t a noble position of that sort.  Sadly, there are a lot of fairly untalented dwarves among this bunch, but we need a hauling corps here quite badly.  With this many extra hands, we should be able to start getting this place really shaped up. 

Even better news, we now have a resident cook.  I’ve assigned Olon to the kitchen immediately!  Now we just need a few more animals to get a breeding program started to improve our meat supply. 

Cog’s Journal, 30th of Granite, 303

Excavation of the first floor of the Grand Dining Hall hit a small snag today.  Nobody was seriously hurt, but Rogue was seriously drenched during the draining of a small murky pond that stood in the way of progress on the dining hall.

She was a quite embarrassed.  Apparently she’d been working so steadily at the job that she stepped down into the channel right after she breached the water flow to walk to the next spot.  Ah well, bruised egos can be healed by recognition.  Both Rogue and Catten are carving away the surface at such a rate, that I’m glad to name them as Legendary Miners.

(OOC): So there are tons of unclaimed dwarves now.  At this point feel free to name a job and a gender and I’ll try to find a dwarf that is either already qualified or available to train. 

@Tuxman: The blueprints were prepared in AutoCAD.  I just created an extensive 1 unit grid that I can then put various parts and pieces that I’ve predefined such as walls, floors and chairs.  Once I’m happy, I use the measuring tools in AutoCAD to generate the numbers necessary to build quickfort files.  The design is 24 z levels high, but only 18 of them are underground.  The other 6 floors will be the glass dome above the surface.  I’m pretty sure I’ve set the game to have enough layers to support this, but if not, it’ll be construction to the rescue.  Oh and yes, those are bedrooms overlooking the hall.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 03:28:15 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 5th of Slate, 303

Apparently some of the rules we operate under here have caused one of our dwarves to lose his temper and go Fey.  Geshud Likotsat is a fairly inexperienced jeweler who I recently assigned to the hauling crew.  We have two other jewelers here who are far more talented than him.  But he turned around and charged off to the dining hall and started making a ruckus until I finally got one of the other jewelers to build a workshop. 

The moment it was done he pushed his way into the room and forcibly threw Oddom out.  He grabbed a single indigo tourmaline and set to work. 

It had better be something seriously special if he thinks something made out of one gem is going to impress me. 

Cog’s Journal, 12th of Slate, 303

Ummmmm . . . I don’t think anyone will believe this if they didn’t see it with their own eyes.

Geshud came into the dining hall after 7 days without food or sleep carrying this: 

Needless to say all of us were floored at the beautiful simplicity of the design. 

Consider me impressed.  Ok, fine you can stay on as a gem setter Geshud.  I’ll even call you Legendary after seeing that creation.   

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 03:40:05 pm »

Can I get a dwarf?

Name: Derm The Soulchopper.
Proffesion: part Time explorer, Part time Military Overseer, Full Time Axedwarf.
Personality: Varies between extreme lengths of Humor and Seriousness. Loves Adventure and will Immediately take up the call to explore the unknown (Caverns).
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 04:45:54 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Slate, 303

Today makes a glorious occasion, the first child to be born in Towersoared.  Congratulations on the birth of your third child Asmel and Vucar!  (Two came with them as immigrants)

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Felsite, 303

Well the Elves have arrived.  They’re quite notorious for bringing garbage to trade, so I guess we’ll see if they brought anything useful or tasty.  On first glance, it certainly looks like they brought a lot of stuff though.

Events of the 20th of Felsite, 303

Ber Koganatzul the broker was just heading up the ramp towards the depot when there was a loud crunching sound and several loud screams at the front gate.  He hurried his normally slow pace and rounded the corner.  Ahead he saw the broken corpse of a gobin under a large stone rigged over the entrance.  As he approached he heard shouts outside from the mining crew, “It’s a snatcher, run Rogue!” 

A second goblin was stumbling its way up the hill and away from the fortress.  Cog came running out, shouting at them to give chase, but by the time they recovered their wits, the injured goblin was gone. 

Spoiler: The Aftermath (click to show/hide)

Cog’s Journal, 20th of Slate, 303

Well, it would seem that the goblins have found us.  It’s only a matter of time before an ambush shows up, which makes creating a secure entrance to the dining hall quarry even more critical.  They’re so close to being done the first phase I can almost taste it!

While the elves brought a lot of useless crap with them, they did bring a fine selection of drinks, empty barrels, lots of fruit to add some variety to our diet and drinks, several tamed animals and even a bit of “ethical” wood as they call it.  Ber gave them a good deal in the hopes that they would bring more next year. 

I’ve told Worm to go do some brewing, using anything except for plump helmets.  That should improve spirits around here!

@dermonster:  It will be done shortly!  I’ve got one more entry from my latest gaming round to post before I get back to the game to pick out your dwarf.  As a result of what happened in this and the next entry, we’ll certainly need a volunteer to start up our military.  Sounds like Derm the Soulchopper will be the most likely dwarf to volunteer for the job.

alxnotorious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 05:07:25 pm »

My Asmel had a child?? Lol!
WAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRBBBLLLGARRBBLE. THE KING OF HAND CREAMS HAS SENT YOU HERE, AND THE POD IS THE THRONE OF THE GOBLIN EMPEROR. DESTROY ALL UNBELIEVERS.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 05:09:30 pm »

Your Asmel has three.

I like the plans. I would link you to the TVTropes pages "Crazy Awesome" and "Power Born Of Madness" but I think they'd be understatements.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 05:33:01 pm »

Events of the 18th of Hematite, 303

Catten wiped her brow as she worked at removing the ramps out it the warm spring air.  Despite dwarven tradition, she was actually find the time out in the sun oddly enjoyable.  As she worked, a brief shadow flickered over the site.  She looked up just in time to hear Rogue screaming at her, “RUN CATTEN, IT CAME BACK!”

Spoiler: Nightwing! (click to show/hide)

Sure enough, the jackel headed bat monster was swooping down at her with a thirst for blood in its eyes.  For a moment she gripped her pick, considering fighting back.  Then she remembered the shriveled corpse of the campel.  Gripping her pick tightly in her hands, she ran. 

And she ran some more and then even more, dodging around the rough stones and rough scrub present in the desert.  And Nightwing followed, taunting, swooping but never quite catching up with her.  She ran for a good hour without difficulty thanks to the constant months of mining.  But no matter what she tried, she just couldn’t seem to shake the monster. 

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, as she ran for another pass through the cracks and crevices near the magma pit Nightwing let out a screech of frustration and broke off the chase. 

Catten realized right then that it hadn’t been taunting her; it was simply unable to catch up!  She quickly made her way back to the fortress and dashed inside for a snack, all that running had worked up her appetite.  She arrived in the dining hall to the thundering applause of a large crowd that had gathered there after the alert went out.   

(OOC): You can’t make this stuff up!  I followed Catten around the map for about 10 minutes real time as Nightwing desperately tried to catch up.  I was planning on activating her so she could at least make an attempt at fighting back when she got caught.  Fortunately, Nightwing gave up and Catten went safely back to the fortress without a scratch.  She wasn’t even winded!

@alxnotorious: Urist Imiknorris is right, you’ve actually got three.  Asmel arrived already married to a High Master Metalcrafter named Vucar Shemlir with two children in tow!

@Urist Imiknorris: Glad to hear you approve, crazy and mad is certainly a fitting description of many of my plans!   

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 05:42:32 pm »

crazy and mad is certainly a fitting description of many of my plans!   

And powerful. And awesome.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 10:50:04 pm »

i'll take vucar evn tho he's got 3 kids, he prefers making Trap Components when possible  :D ;D
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 11:58:28 pm »

@Scaraban: You're certainly welcome to claim Vucar if you'd like, but before you do, you should know that she's the mother, not the father.  Asmel who has been claimed by alxnotorious is the father.  If you're still want to claim her feel free, otherwise feel free request a different one! 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 118