Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 286241 times)

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 03:04:08 am »

Wow, that is one massive dining hall plan. I'm impressed. I especially enjoy the way the walls lean inwards.

At first I was wondering if you'd have enough resources to make that many green glass blocks, but then I remembered that the sand is infinite. It'd be a lot more difficult if you were trying to use clear glass or, say, crystal glass.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 09:58:11 am »

Journal of Catten

"A group of migrants joined the fortress. We now have over 30 dwarfs. I am impressed with the growth. Someone obviously thinks we're worth something. But that was a few days ago.

Today, I was working in the sun. If there was a place I saw myself in the future, it certainly wasn't out in the middle of the wilderness, digging a giant pit. But somehow I find solace in it.

But today, I was reminded just how dangerous it is, and why. A nightwing attacked me. It swooped down, and I had to run my ass off. Luckily I was able to outrun it, praise Moldath Steelcrystal! Everyone cheered me on, which was downright invigorating.

So now I go to sharpen my shovel and make the rock fear my name."
Meowth! That's right!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 12:40:53 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Hematite, 303

Well I can’t believe how crazy this week has been.  Between the goblins and the return of Nightwing we’re all a little on edge.  Right after Catten got back I put out a call for volunteers to get a militia organized.  We can’t spare a lot of dwarves yet, but we can’t afford to put it off any longer. 

A dwarf who called himself Derm the Soulchopper immediately stepped forward and said he would take care of getting the military organized.   

Spoiler: Derm the Soulchopper (click to show/hide)

He quickly singled out three other unskilled volunteers to join his Axedwarf squad.  While they’re training, I’m going to have Pawn set up a few more traps in the area. 

While we wait for Nightwing to depart, I’m going to have Catten and Rogue dig out some barracks for our military to train in and a few veins of Hematite ore before I send them down to start on the first block of apartments that will overlook our dining hall.  Once they finish up that we’ll see about getting back to work on the dining hall. 

Events of the 22nd of Hematite, 303

The conversation in Cog’s office is clearly audible through the doors. 

“Worm, I’m telling you this is the most efficient route for the miners to access the future stairwell.  We’ll extend the tunnel out past your farms to the site of the new stairwell

“And I’m telling you Cog, there is no way I’ll keep working as a farmer or Brewer if you dig this tunnel!  What if you never get around to relocating the farms!  What if something sneaks in through the work tunnels?  The first place they’ll show up is the farms.  And I’ll constantly have dwarves poking their heads into my workshop to ask if the latest batch of booze is ready!”

“Please calm down Worm, I’m sure we can arrange for some doors to be put on your workshop if that’s the issue.”

“I need my peace and quiet!  I simply won’t have it!  Find another route for your stupid tunnel!”  And with that Worm stomped off back towards the farms. 

Cog put his head in his hands and sighed.  The tunnel would have to be moved, there was no way he was going to risk the booze supply over this.  Especially with the quality of the brew Worm was putting together lately. 

Cog’s Journal, 14th of Malachite, 303

Derm the Soulchopper seems to be a born leader.   Between the basic individual drills he’s conducting some demonstrations.  The mining has come along quite nicely and we now have enough iron bars to make some basic armor and shields for our military members. 

I’ve managed to persuade Catten to put her armorsmithing skills to work at the forges for a short time to ensure our military at least has some basic gear.  I can’t afford to have her on the forges too long though; there is way too much digging to be done. 

Spoiler: Catten Hard at Work (click to show/hide)

@Pwnzerfaust: If I had trees, clear glass might be doable, but crystal glass is right out!  Glad you like the design, Pawn is going to play a fairly big role in the later stages of construction.  I’ve got a couple surprises under my hat for this place still.  He’s quietly plugging away building mechanisms lately although he still occasionally makes a batch of stone crafts. 

@Tuxman: I’m quite enjoying Catten’s journal entries!  Next time I load up the game I’ll pull a bit of information about the various gods the dwarves are worshiping.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 07:51:26 pm »

@Scaraban: You're certainly welcome to claim Vucar if you'd like, but before you do, you should know that she's the mother, not the father.  Asmel who has been claimed by alxnotorious is the father.  If you're still want to claim her feel free, otherwise feel free request a different one!
...damn it...
highest rank mechanic not already taken then, preferably male but i'll deal
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2010, 10:11:41 am »

Journal of Catten

"I dug iron today. Iron. It is considered a rite of passage in the mountainhomes to dig out your first batch of iron. Back in the mountainhomes, the resources of miles around were stripped, and iron was in low supply. There wasn't any iron for the newbies to dig out. It was given to the experienced miners who could ensure a good return. Thus, the number of new miners who recieved recognition dwindled.

But today is different. I have dug out iron, and I am the experienced miner.

Also, Cog asked me to do a little smithing. I was to craft iron armor. I made sure to inform him that with lots of iron, steel can be made. And steel is about ten times better than iron. But no matter. My smithy skills are a little 'rusty' so it took me awhile before I could actually make any return. The new millitary will be very thankful.

Speaking of military. Cog is starting a millitary. Grand I say, but millitary is more of an overstatement. A team of guards, more so. Either way, I'm glad that the digging projects are finding some success and will be even more safe to work on.

But those are just facts. The digging continues in the project. Everyone is so exited. There's a constant buzz, wherever you are. People wait outside of Cog's office just to hear the next part of the project that needs to be done.  Worm, the brewer, has been putting extra hours to keep everyone in high spirits with booze. We're all clocking eight hours and working ten.

Everyone seems to be putting aside personal gain to work, trying to complete a place where we can quite literally rest on our laurels. Even though there are only thirty of us, the fervor in which the dwarves strike the earth is overwhelming."
Meowth! That's right!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 10:45:20 am »

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Galena, 303

I’ve just received word that the caravan from the human kingdoms has arrived.  They always carry a wide variety of goods.  I sure hope they have some meat.  I am puzzled by the absence of a liaison from the human lands though.  They usually like to order quite a variety of items.

Catten also raised an excellent point as she was working on the iron armor.  While iron is good, steel is a far better metal.  We have plenty of flux and iron ore.  Our only problem is a complete shortage of fuel.  While we have sufficient magma for normal smelting, the making of good steel requires charcoal or coke in fairly significant quantities.  At this point we have almost no wood and no coal at all.  Most of that wood is going to have to be used to make beds as the new bedrooms start getting finished.  We shall simply have to continue searching for other sources of fuel and make do with iron for now.

Cog’s Journal, 21st of Galena, 303

Well as always, the human caravan has delivered. They brought a nice variety of meat and plants that should help keep a nice variety in our diets over the next few months until the dwarven caravan arrives with the food I ordered last fall.  Still no sign of a liaison, I guess we’ll just have to make do with whatever materials they randomly decide to bring every year. 

Catten and Rogue have finished carving the rough stairway down to where the first block of apartments will go.  It’s going to take some time to finish these up right due to the long term plans for the overall design of the dining hall and primary housing.  I’m not going to sacrifice the quality of design for speed.  I’m sure glad we got those two engravers in the last migration. 

One last note before I get back to my designs, one of the haulers named Edzul Sezukkogan stopped by and asked if he could be apprenticed to Pawn as a mechanic.  A fort can never have too many mechanics so I am happy to allow it, although I’ve asked him to retain a few hauling duties until we get some addititional immigrants. 

Spoiler: Meet Edzul Sezukkogan (click to show/hide)

@Scaraban: I hope this guy will do the trick.  He’s not very talented at mechanics but I’ll be getting him trained up pretty quick here.  I’ve got to use all this stone for something and I’ll need a lot of mechanisms in the future.  Let me know if you want to change his name. 

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2010, 12:53:04 pm »

Pawn's Journal, 22nd Galena, 303

So people say I should keep one of these journals. Posterity's sake, they say. Whatever. I guess it's nice to get my thoughts on paper.

Yesterday, one of the new haulers was apprenticed to me as a new mechanic. He's so fat that, frankly, I'll be impressed if he manages to fit into the workshop without breaking something. But such is life. Maybe I can see to it that he gets his own workshop instead of screwing up mine.

In any case, an extra pair of hands would be nice in making all these mechanics. Haven't the damndest clue what Cog is planning to do with all of the things, but whatever it is, it must be huge, judging by the number of mechanical components he's having me build.

Well, that's all for now. Not much of a first entry but... it's not like anyone's going to read it anyway. Back to work...
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2010, 03:28:17 pm »

i find the fact tht my dwarf is exceedingly fat quite funny as i am 6'4" and under 200lb... :)
high metabolism FTW

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2010, 05:05:29 pm »

OOC: Here’s the promised list of deities and the claimed dwarves that are currently worshipping them:

Spoiler: Moldath Steelcrystal (click to show/hide)
Worshipped by Catten, Pawn

Spoiler: Vucar (click to show/hide)
Worshipped by Rogue

Spoiler: Aknun (click to show/hide)
Worshipped by Iteb Zonshar, Edzul Sezukkogan, Derm the Soulchopper

Spoiler: Imketh Stylesmile (click to show/hide)
Worshipped by Iteb Zonshar, Cog, Urist Imiknorris

Spoiler: Savot the Satiny Lark (click to show/hide)
Worshipped by Asmel

Spoiler: Zas Copperbronze (click to show/hide)
Worshipped by Worm

@Scaraban: That is pretty funny!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:07:11 pm by Battlecat »

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 05:13:19 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Limestone, 303

The year is progressing quietly although productivity is high.  I’ve made plans to expand our glassworks.  I’ve had our masons and the hauling crew begun work on part of one of the exterior buildings next to the dining hall.  The glassworks will go inside as well as the stockpile so it’s nice a close by once we start building the roof of the dining hall.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On another note, Pawn came by my office and asked if a second mechanics workshop could be built for Edzul.  He figured it’ll keep the two of them from tripping over each other.  I suspect he’s also a bit possessive of his workshop space so that’s an easy enough request to grant. 

Cog’s Journal, 26th of Limestone, 303

The first individual bedrooms are getting close to being ready.  Once the engravers finish smoothing the upper floor walls we can channel them out to make the bedroom floors.  Then we can start moving people in while the detailing is in the works.  The dormitory is getting rather crowded.

Cog’s Journal, 27th of Sandstone, 303

Ber Koganatzul was eating in the dining hall when he suddenly stood up and charged out of the room babbling in a strange language none of us recognized.  Naturally he grab a crafting shop and then charged off to the wood stockpile.  It figures. 

Cog’s Journal, 4h of Timber, 303

Well, it’s a lovely little wood amulet.  I sure hope the possessing spirit is satisfied considering that cost us three logs. 

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2010, 05:53:59 pm »

LOL MANGO WOOD  :)
my bad was modding raws and 4got 2 uncaps, its not near tht funny...

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2010, 09:35:49 pm »

Journal of Catten

"Today, a group of humans traded with us. This is normal, I suppose. Back at the mountainhomes, though, trading was all handled by the nobles appointed by the king. They had a center for it and everything. Us normal folks could only catch a glimpse of the tall folk as the came and left. Today, I got to not only see one, but talk to one.

I didn't hear the caravan had arrived until I was sitting in the dining room with a fine mug of grog. Didn't really want to get up you see, so I figured I'd wait 'till I finished before I went to see the strange folk. Only, one of them came inside. Sat down, and asked some random migrant to fetch her some booze. She sat right next to me.

Humans are tall. Very tall. They eat and drink less,  and god knows they can't hold their alcohol well, but they are larger in stature somehow. Less meat on the bones I suppose. This one carried a sheathed sword on her belt, and was garbed in leather.

Apparantly she caught me staring, and asked, "Oye, never seen a human before?"

Of course, I replied no. I hadn't. She seemed suprised. She seemed pretty smart. Only then, she challenged me to a drinking contest.

The rest is a little fuzzy, but I know by the end we were the best of friends. Good times.

Unfortunately, the next day, she didn't even remember my name. Wasn't really offended, because in truth, I didn't remember her's."
Meowth! That's right!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2010, 11:54:39 pm »

Events of the 13th of Timber, 303

Erush Ariden the outpost liaison sighed as she cross desert towards Towersoared.  It had been a busy year visiting the various other forts near mountain home, but this trip was always tiresome, even with the company of the merchants that were making the trip.  There had been no small amount of laughter back at mountain home over her description of Cog’s little backwater hole in the hillside.

As she crossed the desert she was slightly taken aback to see a massive trench had been carved out of the sand.  Looking inside, the 1 floor deep sandy filled pit as she passed by, she shook her head.  There was no doubt that this was large, but it wasn’t particularly spectacular.  It probably wasn’t best to mention it to Cog. 

She noticed a fair amount of smoothing had been done over the past year, although there was still extensive work left to be done.  Oddly enough, there wasn’t that much traffic in the main fortress, there must be some additional work going on somewhere.  She was about to bypass Cog’s office go and poke around to see what was going on, but then Cog walked out with a smile on his face and greeted her.  She sighed.  Next year she would have to be a bit more careful coming in if she was going to get any chance to explore the place and see what Cog had hidden away. 

Cog’s Journal, 6 of Moonstone, 303

The first rooms are finally done.  Well at least they’re done enough for us to put beds and some other furniture in so we can have some privacy.  The walls have to be smoothed still, not to mention the retrofitting work that will have to be done when the windows go in, but for now this will do the trick. 

There are about 10 done so far and more will be ready soon.  Then I’m going to have Catten and Rogue get back to working on the dining hall.  Our Liaison didn’t even see fit to comment on the trench, although I suspect she didn’t think much of it, or of anything else she saw here once again.  Still, greatness can’t be rushed! 

OOC: I prioritized the claimed and legendary dwarves.  All of them now have their own rooms.   

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2010, 12:02:10 am »

Cog’s Journal, 28 of Moonstone, 303

Finally, we can get back to the Dining Hall now that things are quieting down and our military is getting better qualified.  Derm the Soulchopper has been working them extremely hard!  While the engravers are working on polishing up the room, Catten and Rogue are going to carve the next layer.  It’s just about time to relocate the glassworks as well.  The masons and haulers just need to finish getting a roof on the area. 

Cog’s Journal, 27th of Opal, 303

Asmel and Vucar are apparently trying to single handedly grow the population of our fortress.  Their third son was born today.  It’s quite a sight seeing her juggle those two babies while working the forges.  I’m sure Asmel our resident mooch is beaming with pride.  Granted, I haven’t seen much of him since the birth. 

Cog’s Journal, 31st of Obsidian, 303

And so another year passes.  In celebration of the completion of another year, I’ve compiled updated architectural drawings showing the work done over the past year.  Things are beginning to come together quite nicely.  It’s certainly nice that we’ve started getting individual rooms assigned.  All the founders save myself have private rooms now and several other dwarves who had their names drawn from a bucket also have rooms. 

On another note, apparently Asmel actually decided to create something rather than just carrying the odd rock around.  I guess he decided to create a little something special because of the birth of his 4th child.  Today just as the new years celebration was getting started, he came in carrying this gorgeous green glass earring. 

It’s a promising start to the next year.  I’ll have to ask Asmel if he wants to put his new talents to use or if he’d rather stick with hauling.  In the meantime, it’s time for a party thanks to the extensive supply of  booze and food we have on hand now!

(OOC): @alxnotorious: Asmel is now a legendary glassworker!  I've left him with his current job set for now though, he's your character after all!  Btw, yes I've set his profession to mooch for now, hope you don't mind.  :-)

@Scaraban: I think I got that stuff as an import from the elves.  It's pretty funny though.  Always kills me laughing when it takes three logs to make a tiny little amulet!

@Tuxman: Love Catten's journal, it's great stuff!

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2010, 01:03:24 am »

Journal of Catten

"Not much happened as of late. Besides the new year, of course.

It was a fun celebration, granted, but truthfully things have been a little dull. Asmel and Vulcar, our resident baby-boomers, have had yet another child. I've even been drafted into babysitting sometimes... And the noise is terrible. How do they do it?

I downed my drink. All the fellows were too drunk to notice what was going on around them. It had taken a lot of booze. Without hesitation, I joined them."

Meowth! That's right!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 118