Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 286576 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #540 on: March 03, 2011, 03:13:17 pm »

I don't think steam travels that far.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 03, 2011, 03:51:16 pm »

Cog's Journal, 14th of Limestone, 314

No word from Derm in the depths yet, but Comp has reported in with another horror.  Apparently the Beast Gogol has come to the first level of caverns.  I've ordered the access to the upper caves sealed until Derm returns from the depths. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am fearful of the number of beasts coming to Towersoared lately.  Particularly since there is still so much left to do! 

Events of the 30th of Limestone, 314

For a week Derm had been hunting the beast in the depths.  Now at last he had the beast tracked down.  The underground lake ahead rolled and steamed as the firey beast approached.  And then it emerged from the waters.  A fire coated beast, snorting away the steam. 

With the beast now revealed, he raised Akmeshitat and screamed out a challenge at it and charged.  He dodged to one side and unleashed a powerful blow with Akmeshitat, severing the flaming monster in two.  Then he let out a yell of surprise and pain as the beast exploded into flames in its death throes. 

Cog's Journal, 4th of Sandstone, 314

At long last, Derm has emerged from the depths.  He came out looking extremely pale and worse for wear than I've seen him in a long time.  He was covered in dust and ash and his arm has a nasty burn on it.  Despite that, it looks like Derm was planning on heading back to sparring and he refused to go see the doctor.  On his way past he nodded and simply said, “One down”. 

I think I’ll leave the other beast to the rest of the military.  I'll have the crossbow dwarves take care of this one.  They’ll attempt to lure it into the zone of fortifications like we did with the dust breathing beast a few years back. 

OOC: Derm did it again, escaping with only some burns and blood loss.  Derm was pale for a few days afterwards, and then only faint after he had some booze and a sleep.  Not bad for a dwarf who is still very slow to heal.  He didn't even bother seeing a doctor as usual but I’m pretty sure he’s in no danger.  From what I've read, faint and pale are symptoms of blood loss but faint is an improvement from his initial pale state.  I think he's going to be just fine. 

Odna was a serious FPS killer.  It evaporated half the underground lake wandering around before making a beeline towards the fortress entrance.  It’s going to take a while for the things to settle down.

@Dermonster: Done and done.  Apparently no pansy ass fire elemental will stop you.  At least not so far.  :)

@Comp112: Yes indeed, you are still quite the loner.  After chopping down the local forest by your home you’ve spent a bit of time hauling wood up to the fortress.  Your bedroom is well established and you’ve carved out a somewhat secure zone in the depths.  Did you want to switch to engraving your home a bit or would you like to start farming? 

@Syntic: Neat idea that would be very cool.  Sadly, I suspect the biggest effect would be permanently putting my fps down around 5 or lower as it was while Odna was alive on the map.  :( 

@Scaraban: Indeed, it has been done!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 03, 2011, 03:57:22 pm »

Also military training doesn't increase the rate in which you heal, I think.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:00:43 pm by dermonster »
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Abyss, Holder of Light

• Bay Watcher
  • [DARK_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 04, 2011, 01:47:31 am »

-snip-

Also military training doesn't increase the rate in which you heal, I think.

I think dorfs need to be battle-scarred (or !!science!!-scarred) and healed by doctors to buff their healing rate. Just saying.

AWWWW YEAAAAH indeed, derm.
Clearly now all we need added are dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you. Thus we can release them along with the dogs & bees themselves when unwelcome guests come to your fortress.

And then lock the door.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 04, 2011, 12:35:08 pm »

Events of the 27th of Sandstone, 314

Adker was bored and tense.  They had been stationed at the first cave level for a month.  The gates were open and they were tensely waiting for the beast Gogol to emerge from the nearby lake.  He had been lurking outside for weeks now. 

Suddenly, one of the other marksdwarves, Dodok snapped.  “THAT DOES IT!  I'M TIRED OF WAITING DOWN HERE IN THIS HOLE FOR THAT STUIPD BEAST.”  And with that she stomped out the door and across the bridge.  They heard her continue ranting as she walked.  “HEY, YOU STUPID DEAF BLIND PIECE OF MEAT, COME EAT SOME STEEL!!”

Then they heard a roar and a splashing sound.  And then the sound of a single bolt being loosed from Dodok's crossbow.  Then silence.  Dodok came stomping back in shouting “THERE IT'S DONE.  I'M GOING TO GET A DRINK.”  And with that she angrily stomped up the stairs back to the fortress. 

The rest of the squad exchanged a few glances and then cautiously went out and looked.  The beast was floating on the surface, a single puncture wound on its head and a steel bolt sticking out of the back of its head. 

Cog's Journal, 5th of Timber, 314

All in all, our military handled those two beasts admirably.  Derm seems to be pretty much recovered from his ordeal in the depths, although part of his arm still looks like cooked meat.  A few weeks of light duty and rest have cleared up any signs of paleness or blood loss.  Derm said he just needed to drown a few barrels to refuel or something. 

Anyhow, it's time to start gathering the crafts, the Dwarven caravan should be here soon.  They will be carrying our grand order of gemstones for this year.  This order will be vital to the construction of the dining hall mural.  We're out of some colors that are very difficult to obtain here. 

Cog's Journal, 16th of Timber, 314

The caravan is here, and no surprise our scouts say a new liaison is with them.  One can only wonder what happened to the twit from last year.  I've dispatched the axedwarves and sworddwarves to meet them this year.   

OOC: I was going to see if Derm could take this one out as well, but it decided to just chill underwater.  So I sent out the marksdwarves to see if it would react and only one responded.  And it died.  To one bolt.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:34:17 am by Battlecat »

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 04, 2011, 02:12:56 pm »

My brain is confused at how much win this fortress has. All the stories I normally read are about how the Dwarf population is being slaughtered and everything is going wrong. Part of me just really wants to hear about some disaster that befalls Towersoared, but the rest of me wants things to keep going well.

Rashemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 04, 2011, 03:17:39 pm »

Diary of Rashem 28th Sandstone, 314

Well it seems that not even the Forgotten Beasts are a threat anymore, first Derm kills a flaming giant, then a single Marksdwarf kills the other with one shot. Hopefully I'll get a stint in the caverns soon, it is now my personal goal to climb to the same heights as Derm.  :D
Welp they always say ‼LOSING‼ is ‼FUN‼.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 04, 2011, 04:48:25 pm »

Hey, posting more to follow then anything else. Your fort is truely inspirational. Encouraged me to try my first proper (semi) mega-project.
A dwarf would be cool as well, maybe one of the military. That marksdwarf who one-shotted the forgotten beast would be nice :D.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 05, 2011, 02:02:33 pm »

Events of the 21st of Timber, 314

Flint the miner was a curious sort.  He wasn’t terribly interested in hauling goods to the trade depot with the other dwarves.  He far preferred digging, and while the work around the main fortress was interesting enough, he wanted to discover something new.  So during the fuss around the arriving traders and the expected load of gemstones he went out to follow up on a hunch. 

There were two cave systems discovered already but many meters of rock were between the two.  Three seemed far more appropriate.  And the moisture and wind seeping through the rocks in the stairwell gave him a clue. He struck the earth and began to dig.  And in a surprisingly short amount of time, his tunnel bore fruit. 

A blast of moist air hit him as he carved a small gap in the wall.  Another forest of strange fungi was clearly visible in the gloom.  And webs, there were spider webs absolutely everywhere below.  In fact, there was more than enough to support an industry.  Just what Towersoared could use; another source of wealth with no extra hands to actually take advantage of it.   

Flint made a note of the level and marked a spot to seal up the breach.  It wouldn’t be good to have beast sneaking in.  At least he’d breached the cave above ground.  He headed to the surface to report the good news. 

Cog’s Journal, 21st of Timber, 314

A third Cave system!  And full of spider webs from the sounds of things.  We’ll have to carve a proper entrance for security and then Derm can go and explore!

At least that’s one bit of good news.  The rest of what’s going on isn’t making me terribly happy.  I had Elian Bimedos the cook in here yelling at me today.  Apparently he hasn’t been able to work in weeks because Syntic fancies himself a cook.  I told Elian that he should set up a second kitchen and let the dwarves decided.  Besides, if Syntic is true to form, he’ll be off to something else soon enough.

I also had Zasit our current mayor in my office ranting at me about broken mandates criminals.  Apparently he wanted some buckets and nobody built them for him.  When I asked him who was punished, he responded that he had Martini throw a random hauler into jail for 81 days.  Apparently the dozens of buckets we already have weren’t good enough.  Also, apparently the people who actually are woodworkers weren’t appropriate for punishment.  What is it about being elected mayor that makes dwarves dumb as bricks?

He then walked out because the liaison was waiting to talk to him.  I sure hope trading goes well.  Maybe I'll go look in on what the caravan brought so I can ensure we request what we need to continue the project.  I'll have to stop in to see Zasit before he finishes negotiations with this years liaison. 

OOC: Finally got around to locating the third cave level.  I guesstimated that the third level would be pretty close to halfway between the two so I picked a spot.  Congratulations on being the discoverer Flint!   

@Syntic: I'm sure something will start going wrong in the future.  But I do try to be pretty careful about the lives of my dwarves. 

@Rashemd: I'll see what I can do to aid you on your way

@Thatdude: Glad you're enjoying it!  A dwarf can certainly be arranged.  I've sent you a private message regarding your choice.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 05, 2011, 02:06:35 pm »

Woot, Spiders and Fungi, a balanced breakfast of exploration and mass slaughter.

Abyss, Holder of Light

• Bay Watcher
  • [DARK_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 06, 2011, 09:47:24 am »

GCS cave in trap time!

Clearly now all we need added are dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you. Thus we can release them along with the dogs & bees themselves when unwelcome guests come to your fortress.

And then lock the door.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 06, 2011, 01:51:03 pm »

Events of the 4th of Moonstone, 314

Cog was very excited about the trading this year.  The gemstones requested would be at least sufficient to finish most of the north mural in the dining hall.  Cog arrived just as Ingiz Mengbasen, the Leatherworker turned broker arrived.  Cog began poking through the boxes and bins, the energy slowly falling out of him.  There were barely 2 dozen gemstones in this order.

Cog turned at looked at Alath, the caravan master, clenching his fists.  “Might I ask where our requested order of gemstones is?”  Alath, looked at Cog in surprise, “What order?  Last year’s liaison said you had more than enough material and not to bother coming to Towersoared this year.  Then word arrived 6 months later that you had fallen to a siege, which we found quite surprising.  I figured you just dug in, so we came because there’s always a possibility you would need materials after all.  The liaison upstairs was ordered here to verify your demise.” 

Cog glared at Alath with barely disguised fury.  Enough was enough.  Cog turned too Ingiz who turned pale at the sight of Cog’s murderous glare.  Through gritted teeth Cog said, “It’s time to send a message to those fools back at mountain home.  Make our usual trade for gems and metal and anything else interesting.  Pay double what our normal generous payment is and once you’ve done that throw double the same amount on the cart to top it off again.”

He turned to Alath who was also looking quite pale but also hopeful, “We have wealth to spare that the mountainhome can barely conceive of and apparently is willfully ignoring.  You will deliver half of what we give you directly to our ruler and inform them that Towersoared is well and truly open for business.  I expect our ‘liaison’ upstairs will have a much more accurate list for you once I’m done with her.”

With that, Cog stomped away towards Zasit’s office where he was meeting with the liaison this year.  Cog was getting angrier by the minute walking through the halls of Towersoared.  Those damndable nobles back at mountainhome just couldn't leave well enough alone.  Zasit's office door was locked when Cog arrived. 

Cog kicked the door in and started yelling.  “WE ARE NOT DEAD AND I’M NOT TAKING THIS CRAP FROM MOUNTAINHOME ANYMORE!”  Zasit and the liaison were halfway across the room in seconds, retreating from Cog in fear.  “WE HAVE AN UNBEATABLE MILITARY, WE HAVE ARTISANS WHO ARE SECOND TO NONE, WE HAVE MORE METAL THAN WE CAN POSSIBLY USE AND WE HAVE A HOME THAT IS GREATER THAN ANYTHING THOSE FOOLS AT MOUNTAINHOME EVER CONCIEVED!”   

Cog abruptly went quiet and glared at the liaison.  The liaison's face had turned completely white and her eyes were wide in shock.  Cog took a breath and continued quietly:

“Now that I have your attention here is what is going to happen.  You WILL take our order down and deliver EXACTLY what we ask to the trade council.  You WILL make sure the general populace is informed that we have work and space for all who wish to join us here.  And you WILL inform the nobility of mountain home that their interference is not appreciated and that I will ensure the demise of each and every one of them if they interfere with my work here again.  Do I make myself CLEAR?”

The liaison nodded quietly and managed to mumble out a quiet yes.  Cog turned and walked to the door. 

He paused before exiting and looked back.  “I’ve never seen even a sliver of support from mountainhome; not when I was living there and not since I got here.  I don’t know what the nobility hopes to gain by trying to smother dwarven creativity and I really don't care.  I intend to ensure a lasting legacy here at Towersoared that no race in this world will be able to ignore.  Not even those foolish nobles at mountainhome who seem more concerned with their own pocketbooks than the betterment of Dwarvenkind." 

And with that Cog stepped out of the room and slammed the door. 

OOC: Heh.  Last trading season I accidentally canceled out of the trading screen before I actually made any selections.  Hence the poor quantity this year.  It's a rather good way to push the story forward.  :)  I think things might start getting interesting as time starts moving forward. 

@dermonster: Indeed it is.  It's going to be a few months before I get you out in the caves, but I'm looking forward to it. 

@Abyss, Holder of Light:  I actually wouldn't mind actually catching one in a cage.  There are apparently ways to make web farms that way.  Although I'm not sure that will be necessary! 

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 06, 2011, 01:55:52 pm »

Every time you post an update I am sad because the timer on when another update will be made is reset.

Goddamnit its like crack and I've been injecting it straight into my eyeballs.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 06, 2011, 05:37:00 pm »

I'd love to be dwarfed. This is great reading!

Name: Indri
Job: Anything, military, industry, slacker, whatever.

That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Abyss, Holder of Light

• Bay Watcher
  • [DARK_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 07, 2011, 11:22:53 am »

Thoughts of Abyss the Glassmaker, Timber 21st, 314:

A cave has been opened by the miners, and from what I have heard, silk! Precious spider silk... spiders... hmm. I wonder if the Head Architect wouldn't mind letting me have one as a pet.

(OOC/optional:GCS for a pet?)

And then lock the door.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 118